Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage interest relief for first time buyer

Options
  • 16-08-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

We bought a house in 2007 and we are getting 30% mortgage interest relief.
    I was told today my a friend that revenue only classifies you as a first time buyer for the first 7 years and so we will lose our mortgage interest relief in 2014 rather than 2017 will we initially thought.
    Can anyone clarify if this is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

All the info u need is on revenues site. But yes its true

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tax-relief-source-mortgage-rates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

monkey8 wrote: »
    We bought a house in 2007 and we are getting 30% mortgage interest relief.
    I was told today my a friend that revenue only classifies you as a first time buyer for the first 7 years and so we will lose our mortgage interest relief in 2014 rather than 2017 will we initially thought.
    Can anyone clarify if this is correct?

You will receive mortgage interest relief right up until 2017 @ 30% because you bought between 2004-2008

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

killers1 wrote: »
    You will receive mortgage interest relief right up until 2017 @ 30% because you bought between 2004-2008

....with a ceiling of €6000 on interest for which relief can be claimed (assuming you are married, if not it is €3000) from 2014, rather than €20000/10000. This may or may not be an issue, depending on the size of your loan.

SSE

Advertisement