Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS Filter

• 16-08-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.

I'm trying to filter images/links using just CSS.

Basically, for example, imagine a page with various images. Some are of cats, some of dogs, some of birds.

At the top of the page is a cat, dog, and bird. When you click the cat, the other images fade away/disappear, and only the images of the cats are displayed. (and likewise for the others).

Hope that explains it ok :pac:

I know it can be done. I've done it before but I've completely forgotten how.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Google for something like 'show hide fade div onclick' for solutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

tricky D wrote: »
    Google for something like 'show hide fade div onclick' for solutions.

Thanks for the tip, but all I can find are JQ or JS solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tatrman

KonFusion wrote: »
    Hey folks.

I'm trying to filter images/links using just CSS.

Basically, for example, imagine a page with various images. Some are of cats, some of dogs, some of birds.

At the top of the page is a cat, dog, and bird. When you click the cat, the other images fade away/disappear, and only the images of the cats are displayed. (and likewise for the others).

Hope that explains it ok :pac:

I know it can be done. I've done it before but I've completely forgotten how.

Thanks.

I understand you are looking for something like this. The reason that you didn't find anything is that it is not possible using only CSS. You will have to go into javascript here.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

CSS is just for styling, so logic is handled elsewhere. A way I've done this is using jQuery to select the elements and alter their CSS from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

KonFusion wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip, but all I can find are JQ or JS solutions.

CSS won't capture the click event so you have to use JS for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Found what I was looking for.

Thanks for the replies folks :)

Edit: Here's the article and source for anyone interested.

And this may also be of interest.

Happy coding.

Advertisement