Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photographing in Dublin

• 16-08-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all, Im new to this and just looking for some info on shooting in Dublin at night time???? I was wanting to shoot some of the landmarks at night time and was just woundering how safe it safe it is??? Thank's for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I suggest that you get a couple of friends or other photographers to go along with you. Dublin is a safe enough place but it is always better to be with a group at night whilst shooting. Down along the Liffey is a great spot for night photography. Grand Canal Dock also.
    I took these last Thursday night with a group from Greystones Camera Club
    7791236210_b2e1df0272_z.jpg
    Dublin's Famine Statues by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

7790268056_e3ed407333_z.jpg
    Conference Centre and Samuel Beckett Bridge, Dublin by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I suggest that you get a couple of friends or other photographers to go along with you. Dublin is a safe enough place but it is always better to be with a group at night whilst shooting.
    That's not always true, groups are loud and draw attention to themselves. Where one person can slip by unnoticed everybody knows a group is coming and the confidence of the group will mean people are not being shy with their gear.

I was in Dublin a few weeks ago, I had to wait from 4am to 9am in the city centre on a week day. There isn't a soul on the streets between 4 and 5am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's not always true, groups are loud and draw attention to themselves. Where one person can slip by unnoticed everybody knows a group is coming and the confidence of the group will mean people are not being shy with their gear.

I was in Dublin a few weeks ago, I had to wait from 4am to 9am in the city centre on a week day. There isn't a soul on the streets between 4 and 5am.

You could be right but there is safety in numbers. Any night photo walks I went on were always with people who were of a quiet nature. I have been on 9 such walks.
    I would never advise that a photographer goes alone at night, just a sensible precaution in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    You could be right but there is safety in numbers. Any night photo walks I went on were always with people who were of a quiet nature. I have been on 9 such walks.
    I would never advise that a photographer goes alone at night, just a sensible precaution in my opinion.
    It would be yes and I'm basing my point on what I experienced while travelling around Europe. Groups got picked on, robbed, harassed and even beaten up. I never had any trouble when I was on my own but in a group in Latvia we had bottles thrown at us. It's more a case of picking on tourists maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

I would agree largely with Pixbyjohn on this. Dublin is fairly safe but I would no go alone at night with camera gear. Have ben in Dublin quite a bit at night but always with friends from my camera group and never any hassle. If someone is loud and noisey then you could draw attention to yourself but I have never experienced this myself.

What the op could do is put up a request for a photo walk along the quays. I went on one of these organised by SinsterDexter which Pixbyjohn was on and found it great to get tips off the more experienced photographers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

The Institute of Photography organise monthly free Dusk Shoots in different locations in the city. There's usually a large group and it's quite safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Even on your own you'll mostly be fine as long as you know the city. The places that you don't like wandering into during the day are the same places you shouldn't wander into at night (just increase the size of the exclusion zone by about 500m).

No offence to anybody living in these areas, but there are obviously places in Dublin that are infamous for harbouring a certain element. Places like Donnybrook, Ranelagh, Malahide, Ballsbridge etc - hives of scum and villainy, as somebody once said.

Give them a wide berth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Personally, i've had no problems day or night (I shoot only occasionally in the city) but have a read here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 buzzby26

Thank's for the advise. I think I will chance it some time next week. Been wanting to try and get some of the shots for ages, so keep your fingers crossed for me ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 AlizeHall

I think it's safe. A friend of mine visited the place and it's really blooming at night. If you're worried about it, bring alone one person with you. Someone who's close to you. At least, you can spend time together and at the same time, it is much safer if you have someone with you. Will be looking forward to all your shots!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Strawberry Swan

I've been taking photographs for years in Dublin at night time and have never had any problems. Sometimes I would become so engrossed in taking shots that I wouldn't notice who is around me or that it is getting dark and I should leave the area. Those are my worst mistakes. Take care of who is around you at all times. If you can shoot with another person then all the better but it's not a license to go into dodgy areas.

Advertisement