Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Long or Trapattoni?

• 16-08-2012 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

So Trapattoni seems to be doing his best to alienate Long.... or is it the other way around? I've always got the impression that Trap never liked Long ( never playing him being the big give away). However Trap seems to be indicating that Long is in some way setting him up by claiming to be injured and then denying it to the press.

Personally I believe Long. Trap has form in this area ( Steven Reid springs to mind.) Also, his love affair with Cox is getting ridiculous now.

If it was a choice between Trap and Long at this stage I'd have to go with Long.

If it came down to it, who would you support?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

McCarthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Chips.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

Trap hates players who play guitar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

is Long gonna manage the team now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

event wrote: »
    is Long gonna manage the team now?

and Trap play up front??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Get off my long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Trap. To disagree is retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Long. Only so we can see Long and Cox up front together.

<titter>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

long

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Trap, but Long Cox is hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

This is just another example in a long list of Trap's awful communication ability.

I'm still waiting for Keane to respond to my text, says he.

Jesus has no more tears left to weep with this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Calling a player "idiotic" is unacceptable. Have lost a lot of respect for Trappatoni over the last few years. His arrogance and lack of respect for fans and players has gone beyond ridiculous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mr Alan wrote: »

Classy:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Not at all. What is Trappatoni's story with alienating players? I can't remember what paper I was passing by yesterday which said Robbie Keane hasn't been in touch with Trap since June. Trap has sent a couple of TEXTS to him which he hasn't replied to. Fcuking texts! Jesus christ. He couldn't give a fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

SantryRed wrote: »
    Not at all. What is Trappatoni's story with alienating players? I can't remember what paper I was passing by yesterday which said Robbie Keane hasn't been in touch with Trap since June. Trap has sent a couple of TEXTS to him which he hasn't replied to. Fcuking texts! Jesus christ. He couldn't give a fcuk.

Knowing Trap hes probably even sending them to the wrong number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    This is just another example in a long list of Trap's awful communication ability.

I'm still waiting for Keane to respond to my text, says he.

Jesus has no more tears left to weep with this guy.
    He's probably like my grandad and doesn't know how to use text, there's probably texts in there from Keane, Wilson, Stokes, Harte, Walters........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Trap doesn't give a toss lads be honest

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Not that I would ever advocate taking a players side over a managers but I'm fairly sick of Trap at this stage.

-Even after a disastorous peformance at the euros, he's still unwilling to change tact, still wants players who are no longer up for it at international level to carry on playing.
    -Still believes in the archaic backward style of football we play which is making our players look even worse than they actually are
    -Doesnt except any responsibilty for the performances at the euros which no matter how poor the players performed individually is a cowardly thing to do.
    -Continues to spend the vast majority of his time in Italy having very little contact with the players and viewing their performances on DVD's instead of actually going to the games
    - Doesnt believe in giving our young players the opportunities they deserve, McCarthy, Coleman, Long, Walters, Holohan, McClean should have featured alot more than some of them did at the euros

For 1.5m a year we can do better than this, he has a gr8 history and deserves respect for that but he's killing football at international level in this country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

In International football players are expendable.

Trapp really makes the haters mad. Have loved his reign, been awesome! :)

The great thing is the pressure from the drooling fans and media amounts to nothing. It's his last job, doesn't give a ****, and he's too big and entrenched a personality for the FAI to dispose of like they did Kerr or McCarthy.

The man has killed it from start to finish, and keeps the results ticking over. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah I'm hearing so much rubbish in the media at the moment and it sickens me.

They want fancy football and when we get totally embarrassed in a couple of games they will then turn around and blame the FAI for sacking Trapp as if they were backing him all the time.

Trapp is a top coach and he keeps getting results. People talk about how bad we were in the euros but they don't even mention that two of the sides in our group contested the final and that Spain gave Italy a similar hiding in the final to what they gave us in the group stage.

The same mediots were giving us a chance of making the semi-final before the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

The great thing is the pressure from the drooling fans and media amounts to nothing. It's his last job, doesn't give a ****, and he's too big and entrenched a personality for the FAI to dispose of like they did Kerr or McCarthy.

The man has killed it from start to finish, and keeps the results ticking over. Good times.

:)

Who is this Chris Hutton guy? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah I'm hearing so much rubbish in the media at the moment and it sickens me.

They want fancy football and when we get totally embarrassed in a couple of games they will then turn around and blame the FAI for sacking Trapp as if they were backing him all the time.

Trapp is a top coach and he keeps getting results. People talk about how bad we were in the euros but they don't even mention that two of the sides in our group contested the final and that Spain gave Italy a similar hiding in the final to what they gave us in the group stage.

The same mediots were giving us a chance of making the semi-final before the tournament.

How the fcuk is he a top coach with Ireland? We hang on for dear life. We don't have a fcuking system other than lets play 4-4-2. We are NEVER defensively solid. It's sheer and other luck. It's gonna run out in this campaign.

I've been saying this since before the Euros. THey were just a disaster. We never had a hope because of his 4-4-2.

I think you mean "shear and utter luck"

He is a top class coach, because he is a proven top class manager, thats not my opinion, it might be a media opinion, but it is definately the opinion of some very rich club owners who have hired him to successfully manage their teams over the years.

I thought that his press conference after the Spainish game was one of the most forthright, honest interviews I have ever seen from a manager that obviously knew more than you, me or the clowns that were asking him silly questions. He went up in my estimation that evening, a man full of integrity imo. He gets paid to select squads, pick teams and organise tactics, yes he gets paid €1.5m a year to do so, because the people with the money believe that he knows what he is doing.

How much do you think any club owner or the CEO of the FAI will pay you or me for our knowledge of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭LowOdour

From my understanding...Long pulled up in training and was sent to get calf seen to. Trap left him out as a precaution, but long felt he was OK to play. Trap was right to do what he did if this is the case...imagine if Long had done damage if he played, WBA would not be happy. But as usual, nothing is clear cut because of awful communication. Does no one in the FAI see this reoccuring problem with trap and his players.

I also think Marc wilson's career is pretty much over under Trap if he plays this weekend. he hasn't covered himself in glory tbf, but I guess that's is as much down to the trap effect.

The next few months should be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In International football players are expendable.

Surely its the complete opposite. You have a finite pool of players that are good enough. In club football they are expendable, just sell and buy another.

Managers can be replaced at both levels..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think you mean "shear and utter luck"

He is a top class coach, because he is a proven top class manager, thats not my opinion, it might be a media opinion, but it is definately the opinion of some very rich club owners who have hired him to successfully manage their teams over the years.

I thought that his press conference after the Spainish game was one of the most forthright, honest interviews I have ever seen from a manager that obviously knew more than you, me or the clowns that were asking him silly questions. He went up in my estimation that evening, a man full of integrity imo. He gets paid to select squads, pick teams and organise tactics, yes he gets paid €1.5m a year to do so, because the people with the money believe that he knows what he is doing.

How much do you think any club owner or the CEO of the FAI will pay you or me for our knowledge of the game?

This wheeling out of the top class manager stuff is getting tiresome at this stage. He has won 2 trophies in 14 years and an underwhelming stint as Italy manager, the Portuguese League and the Austrian League being those 2 trophies (with very heavily backed Salzburg). His previous record is excellent, but it's all in a completely different era of football. His tactics nor mindset has moved on since then.

you would rather Steve Staunton then I take it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah yeah, sure those are the only 2 options anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

:confused:

Considering the man can barly communicate clearly in Italian, never mind English (he has plenty previous in this department - McCarthy, Foley, Hoolahan), it would be more pertinent to give Long the benefit of the doubt on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is the most idiotic argument in the history of football discussion.

Brian Kerr was a good manager, but some of our "superstars" were not happy being told what to do by what they deemed a lesser manager. McCarthy ran his course, did well, but completely messed up in Saipan, Staunton given the job on the cheap, FAI took a gamble, Keane imo is the only option, he would sort out some of the d i ckheads.

I don't agree with some of Traps tactics, or team selections, but, who else is there, and how do you think that you are more knowledgable than Trap? we don't have enough, if any, top class players, he has worked miricles so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

H'on Tipp. Long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Trap should be backed all the way on this.

Look at our record in the two qualifying campaigns under him and it shows a very good job being done. How many Ireland players play for last seasons top 6 in England?? none.

In 1990 for example we had 8 players playing for the top 6 clubs in the English league, Liverpool, Villa, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton plus Aldridge finishing 5th and scoring goals in another top league with Sociedad

This current pool of Ireland players are very limited and possibly our worst in 30 years. We're lucky to have a manager of Traps calibre, maybe there is a generation and communication gap between the manager and players but some of the players sense the media don't like him and are preying on this trying to use it to their advantage in order to gain a starting spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Go on Shane Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Long was wrong to undermine his manager via the media. Trap was wrong to call the player idiotic via the media.

Looks like Shane Long will join "The List".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just another case of Trap's legendary man management skills....

• Advertisement

What you are trying to do here is bolster your opinion that he is the right man for the job by claiming that he can't be sacked and that he doesn't care what the media or fans think. The fact that he possibly can't be sacked (which I doubt is true) and the fact that he possibly doesn't give a fúck what the fans and media think (which I also doubt is true) are irrelevant to the question of whether or not he is making a bollocks of interacting with the players.

It is undeniable that he is an absolute shambles when it comes to man management, the amount of players he has fallen out with is ridiculous. Your trying to gloss over it with "players are expendable" is nonsense.

Dotsey wrote: »
    Trap should be backed all the way on this.

Look at our record in the two qualifying campaigns under him and it shows a very good job being done. How many Ireland players play for last seasons top 6 in England?? none.

In 1990 for example we had 8 players playing for the top 6 clubs in the English league, Liverpool, Villa, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton plus Aldridge finishing 5th and scoring goals in another top league with Sociedad

This current pool of Ireland players are very limited and possibly our worst in 30 years. We're lucky to have a manager of Traps calibre, maybe there is a generation and communication gap between the manager and players but some of the players sense the media don't like him and are preying on this trying to use it to their advantage in order to gain a starting spot.

Getting second ahead of a clapped out Bulgaria in one qualifying group and Armenia in the next is nothing special.

You talk of how few players we have in the top 6 of the EPL now compared to in the past, but that ignores the fact that the nature of the EPL has changed dramatically since the early days. The influx of players from the rest of the world has been drastic, so it can't be done as a straight comparison. It's definitely true that the current player pool isn't as good as some in the past, but it's not that bad. The results that Trap has achieved with the players he has available are nothing spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

obviously staunton was out of his depth, but I find it hard to warm to the style of conservative football encouraged by Trap - yes , win , yes we don't have the players - but then again, whats this about

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0817/1224322324340.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Trappatoni is the most infuriating manager I have ever come across. I think Steve Kean would be a less irritating manager.

He is a disgrace. Refuses to pick our best players, refuses to watch any of our players, has abysmal relationships with his players and refuses to change or adapt in any way from systems and formations which he has stuck with since the 70's.

Shane Long is our best striker by a distance. He should have been starting for the past 2 years, and if I was Long I would tell Trap to go and do one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah the usual high and mighty, holier than thou bollix.

The fact that you're happy with someone who, in your own words, doesn't give a **** in charge of the national team is far worse than people who want him out.

You're right, it is his last job so no matter what he does there are no consequences. Ireland are a play thing for him, a last chance to prove that his way is the only way. Well guess what, it isn't. We got a lucky draw in the playoffs for the Euros and got dicked on in all three of our games. That's acceptable is it? Qualifying is only part of the job, and even then we were in a favourable group.

Trap is no messiah, he's an old fashioned manager playing old fashioned tactics that will only get you so far. Of course it's easy just to say "BUT LOOK AT ALL THESE CLEAN SHEETS AWAY FROM HOME HATERZ!!!1!1!!" but football is about more than that.

You're right, the man has killed it with 'it' being the life out of anyone watching the team, as well as some of those in it.

But yeah, roll on two years of rubbish football with the wrong players and no end result because we won't be at Brazil 2014.

I await your buzzword laden reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Brian McDermott if you are reading this, Please. Please, please. Save us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Don't know how anybody can keep defending him. Madness. He has no English, he doesn't live here and he doesn't even know some options are Irish (Ian Harte!) He's a complete joker playing a redundant system that is okay against poor teams (even though they still dominate possession against us) but is ripped to bits against any way technical teams. Russia mauled us twice, Armenia dominated us in Dublin and if it wasn't for Armenia's heroics against Slovakia we mightn't have qualified.
    His team selections are a farce, Green, Keogh, McShane, Whelan. The calibre of player he consistently leaves out is far better than that bunch of wasters (McCarthy, Wilson, Coleman, McClean up until recently.) He won't be sacked though no matter what happens, even if we lose to Kazakhstan. Can't wait to watch that game hey! 442 or maybe q 451 with Keane up top on his own?! He has no idea, has had no idea for a while and it can't be denied that pure luck got us to the Euros and to the playoffs in 2010. People have to start voting with their feet. FAI will know about it when the Aviva is empty for a qualifier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I don't agree with some of Traps tactics, or team selections, but, who else is there, and how do you think that you are more knowledgable than Trap? we don't have enough, if any, top class players, he has worked miricles so far.

He hasn't worked miracles at all though, why do people keep saying that? You'd swear he dragged a bunch of League 1 and 2 players to the WC or something.

He has a pretty decent pool of players to choose from, unspectacular yes, but ffs we're not San Marino, most of our players play in the Premier League and getting to the playoffs in a favourable group is the least we should expect. Where we then beat the mighty Estonia. Solid result, but hardly a miracle. All in all we were blessed lucky to qualify. (Armenia beating Slovakia, the miracle result in Moscow, best possible draw in playofss etc)

It's his stubborn rigidity that really grates. Even when it's clear that his tactics aren't working he won't change. Very slow to make changes too, and they're rarely the right ones. He has a Plan A and that's it. The alphabet simply doesn't go past A for Trap.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Getting second ahead of a clapped out Bulgaria in one qualifying group and Armenia in the next is nothing special.

You talk of how few players we have in the top 6 of the EPL now compared to in the past, but that ignores the fact that the nature of the EPL has changed dramatically since the early days. The influx of players from the rest of the world has been drastic, so it can't be done as a straight comparison. It's definitely true that the current player pool isn't as good as some in the past, but it's not that bad. The results that Trap has achieved with the players he has available are nothing spectacular.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ah the usual high and mighty, holier than thou bollix.

The fact that you're happy with someone who, in your own words, doesn't give a **** in charge of the national team is far worse than people who want him out.

You're right, it is his last job so no matter what he does there are no consequences. Ireland are a play thing for him, a last chance to prove that his way is the only way. Well guess what, it isn't. We got a lucky draw in the playoffs for the Euros and got dicked on in all three of our games. That's acceptable is it? Qualifying is only part of the job, and even then we were in a favourable group.

Trap is no messiah, he's an old fashioned manager playing old fashioned tactics that will only get you so far. Of course it's easy just to say "BUT LOOK AT ALL THESE CLEAN SHEETS AWAY FROM HOME HATERZ!!!1!1!!" but football is about more than that.

You're right, the man has killed it with 'it' being the life out of anyone watching the team, as well as some of those in it.

But yeah, roll on two years of rubbish football with the wrong players and no end result because we won't be at Brazil 2014.

I await your buzzword laden reply.

Trapp will be our manager through the end of our participation in the 2014 WC irrespective of what happens on the pitch. Keep whining like it will make a difference. I'm happy with that outcome which means - I get to win here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trapp will be our manager through the end of our participation in the 2014 WC irrespective of what happens on the pitch. Keep whining like it will make a difference. I'm happy with that outcome which means - I get to win here.

Happy with mediocrity, unhappy players and crap football. Good for you, some of us want more from the international side.

Congrats on the win though because that's really what matters here. And if there's no point in whining then maybe take your own advise on board when it comes to transfer fees paid by your club for English players. You've done plenty of that lately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement