Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weak wifi connection HELP!!

• 16-08-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Mods feel free to move this thread to a different category if necessary :) So I bought a new desktop pc recently for gaming and web surfing and installed a belkin wireless g network pci card. my router is downstairs on the other side of the house and im only getting 2 out of 5 bars of signal :( I was wondering what i should do to get a better signal, I cant remove the router from that room because it is connected to another computer via ethernet cables. I have a bt voyager 2110 adsl. My price range is 10-20 euro, anyone help??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

2 bars means nothing. 2 bars should be ok. Is the computer connected directly actually surfing faster?

You could buy a directional 2.4ghz antenna with a pigtail lead to match the connection on your wireless card (assuming the aerial can unscrew), but you would need to point the aerial in the right direction to get a better signal.

If you state the exact model of your PCI card I could advise. Also state what speed is your internet connection and what speed the wired computer perform in speed tests vs the wireless one and which internet provider you are with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

I am with bt as far as i know, yes i can unscrew the antenna on the pci card and as i said its a belkin wireless g desktop card. It is slow compared to other laptops that are in the other rooms. I'd just like to have faster downloading from steam etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I had unending hassle with wireless. Dropping to a crawl <0.5mbps at times. Since I put in a cabled connection if had almost no problems at all and thanks to UPC recent speed boost I get above what I'm paying for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

ah, i was looking to buy a repeater or some sort in a shop or off adverts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The best solution is to buy one of those power line packs. They're quite cheap now and work really effectively.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Best solution = physical cable.

Otherwise...
    Get a wireless N router, and a wireless N network card. I didn't even realise they still sold wireless G cards....

Difference is night and day between the two. Don't bother with range extenders etc for wireless G, waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Homeplugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

srsly78 wrote: »
    Best solution = physical cable.

Otherwise...
    Get a wireless N router, and a wireless N network card. I didn't even realise they still sold wireless G cards....

Difference is night and day between the two. Don't bother with range extenders etc for wireless G, waste of time.

Obviously physical cable is ideal but more often than not its impractical to fit in an existing house layout. I switched to using the power line solution because even a new wifi-n router didn't get through the concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah the plugs are good and can also be used to connect a second wifi point for another area. Wifi is essential these days coz of tablets/phones etc.

Advertisement