Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TOP OF THE MORNING

• 16-08-2012 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

A.M & P.M.
    When I was a young fellow,12a.m. was 12 o'clock mid-day & 12p.m. was 12
    o'clock mid-night.Now it seems from what I see & hear all around me,things have done an about-turn.I for one don't see any logic in this,as the normal
    sequence is ........10 a.m.11 a.m 12 a.m.1 p.m. 2 p .m............Can anyone out there give me just one good reason why it would now be accepted that
    the sequence should be;..... 10 a.m. 11 a.m. 12 p.m. 1 p.m. 2 p.m....... Logical?
    Yet it's used in it's NEW form by almost everyone under the age of 40.on NEWS programs the MEDIA in general, etc.Nowadays Ifind myself saying 12 MIDNIGHT or 12 MID-DAY or even 24 HUNDRED HOURS.Please give us back
    12 ante meridiem & 12 post meridiem.THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 12 AFTERNOON !!!!!.T

when giving the time of day which system do you use? 40 votes

twentyfour hour clock
    0%
    twelve hour clock
    35%
    entropiRabiesixoy[Deleted User]BlaasForRafaShrykeWashington IrvingPatL23thefishoneSunnyislandRhandShellakybookySocSocPolTheWraith 14 votes
    use a.m. & p.m.
    55%
    shinobiRiesen_MealFearDarkshockwaveTiGeR KiNgSbdooBearhunterRedlionstoneillaaronjumperMJ23PinturicchiomackgGod...dhmusicMedusa22Zomg OkayclashburkeBillyMitchelNegativeCreep 22 votes
    day/night
    10%
    hypersquirrelconor.hogan.2RhavinPumpkinseeds 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

twelve hour clock
    polominted wrote: »
    A.M & P.M.
    When I was a young fellow,12a.m. was 12 o'clock mid-day & 12p.m. was 12
    o'clock mid-night.Now it seems from what I see & hear all around me,things have done an about-turn.I for one don't see any logic in this,as the normal
    sequence is ........10 a.m.11 a.m 12 a.m.1 p.m. 2 p .m............Can anyone out there give me just one good reason why it would now be accepted that
    the sequence should be;..... 10 a.m. 11 a.m. 12 p.m. 1 p.m. 2 p.m....... Logical?
    Yet it's used in it's NEW form by almost everyone under the age of 40.on NEWS programs the MEDIA in general, etc.Nowadays Ifind myself saying 12 MIDNIGHT or 12 MID-DAY or even 24 HUNDRED HOURS.Please give us back
    12 ante meridiem & 12 post meridiem.THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS 12 AFTERNOON !!!!!.T

I've not noticed that phenomenon although now that you've said it I'll probably see and hear it happening all the time. Perhaps its an americanism like putting the month in front of the day, like how is that a logical system at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭gipi

My recollection of 12 noon or midnight is the opposite of what you remember, polominted

Noon was referred to as 12pm and Midnight was 12am.

As it happens, either interpretation is illogical since ante-meridiem is before noon, post-meridiem is after noon, so 12 o'clock on the dot can't be either!.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 polominted

hi gipi;accept what you say,but still have a problem with the sequence.Why 10 a.m.11 a.m.12 p.m. 1 p.m. 2 p.m......etc.Makes much more sense to have
    10 a.m. 11 am 12 a.m.1 p.m. 2 p.m......etc.Afterall as 11 follows 10 & 12 follows 11 it is at that point - after 12 & not at 12 (as I see it)that the sequence changes & a new set of numbers (from 1 to 12) starts.Let me put it another way; 10 a.m. 11 a.m. 12 a.m. 0.000000000000001 p.m. i.e. as I see it it's not until a nanosecond after 12 that p.m. begins (not at 12) in that sequence.1 a.m. through to 12 a.m.is one sequence (1 p.m. through to 12 p.m. is another).In other words,why begin the new sequence with 12? Surely it is logical to start at 1 & end at 12?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

hi gipi;accept what you say,but still have a problem with the sequence.Why 10 a.m.11 a.m.12 p.m. 1 p.m. 2 p.m......etc.Makes much more sense to have
    10 a.m. 11 am 12 a.m.1 p.m. 2 p.m......etc.Afterall as 11 follows 10 & 12 follows 11 it is at that point - after 12 & not at 12 (as I see it)that the sequence changes & a new set of numbers (from 1 to 12) starts.Let me put it another way; 10 a.m. 11 a.m. 12 a.m. 0.000000000000001 p.m. i.e. as I see it it's not until a nanosecond after 12 that p.m. begins (not at 12) in that sequence.1 a.m. through to 12 a.m.is one sequence (1 p.m. through to 12 p.m. is another).In other words,why begin the new sequence with 12? Surely it is logical to start at 1 & end at 12?
    Dafuq?

twelve hour clock
    Poor poll OP, where is the option for Metric time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

What in the name of bollocks am I reading?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dónal wrote: »
    Poor poll OP, where is the option for Metric time?
    Or Internet time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Your ..posts...read..like...a...telex...., please....desist..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If noon was 12 a.m. when you were a kid, then please tell me the name of your school so I know not to send my kids there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Noon has always been 12pm. At least anywhere I have ever been. I dont think it has ever 'switched over'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

OP's got too much time on his hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Midnight has always been 12am, and noon 12pm. Your confusion about 11am, 12pm, 1pm etc, is because you're forgetting the 24hour clock, in which case it'd be 11:00, 12:00, 13:00 etc, with midnight being 00:00.

The 24 hour clock is superior, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

It'd be wierd going from 12am to 12.01 pm in a minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It'd be wierd going from 12am to 12.01 pm in a minute

Yeah so weird.

Luckily going from 11:59pm to 12:00am takes...... oh, wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

And the rest of the day to you please god.

Good morning sir, afternoon ma'am.

I guess what i'm saying is, even if its a millionth of a billionth of a second past 12 noon, its 12 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

I guess what i'm saying is, even if its a millionth of a billionth of a second past 12 noon, its 12 pm
    Yeah, and if it's a millionth of a billionth of a second before 12 noon, it's a.m. 12.00 is neither.

From Wikipedia:
    It is not always clear what times "12:00 a.m." and "12:00 p.m." denote. From the Latin words meridies (midday), ante (before) and post (after), the term ante meridiem (a.m.) means before midday and post meridiem (p.m.) means after midday. Since strictly speaking "noon" (midday) is neither before nor after itself, the terms a.m. and p.m. do not apply. However, since 12:01 p.m. is after noon, it is common to extend this usage for 12:00 p.m. to denote noon. That leaves 12:00 a.m. to be used for midnight at the beginning of the day, continuing to 12.01 a.m. that same day.
    I usually avoid it by saying midday or midnight in conversation.
    My only issue is with setting my alarm if I'm planning to get up around midday (I'm a night owl, don't judge!).
    My mobile will say 12.00 a.m. or 12.00 p.m, and as I can never remember which one it thinks is which, I always set the alarm for 11.59 a.m. or 12.01 p.m.
    Even if I knew which system it uses, I refute the logic of calling it either and stand by my assertion that it's neither.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

twelve hour clock
    I was going to post something here, but i haven't a minute to spare.

Advertisement