Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Perth

Options
  • 16-08-2012 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I plan on moving to perth in January and will probably be going on my own. I have a degree in construction management so would be looking for any construction related job; Just wanted to get any advice on what to do when I arrive, I plan on staying in a hostel for maybe a week to get my feet on the ground but not really sure where to go after that, is there anyone who gives out advice about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

You should have no bother picking up work at the moment. Accomodation on a permanent basis can be a pain in the backside to get though. Start looking straight away is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Plan to spend longer then a week in a hostel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Bring loads of money

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

we have 20 grand to move to Perth, have we enough here? We have to take the following out of it straight away, these are estimates:

Flights to Oz: €3000
    Rent bond: €2000
    1st Mth rent: €2000
    Essential house items: €3000

Are there any other big up front costs that we need to consider once we land???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

You could probably do it for less than €3000 for furniture if you use Ikea and buy second hand appliances to start with. I guess your flights are expensive being near christmas, pushing them back a few weeks might save you some cash, plus January heat can be intense.
    Another thing about January is the extra competition from college students at the start of their term.
    The biggest expense for us by far was the initial accommodation until we got somewhere, bring renting references if you can, Estate agents love covering their ass with paperwork so it will bump you up their pecking order.

• Advertisement

i am planning on buying ikea/second hand furniture alright, i wont be heading over until aug/sept next year (im not the op, im a high jacker).

I know the flight costs i estimated are high but i prefer to over estimate than under, if you know what i mean.

i am planning on buying ikea/second hand furniture alright, i wont be heading over until aug/sept next year (im not the op, im a high jacker).

I know the flight costs i estimated are high but i prefer to over estimate than under, if you know what i mean.
    Cool, you'll have more leeway choosing your flights then, might even get in a stopover in SE asia. Better time of year to get started here too, it's a lot cooler then so easier when you have to get set. Gumtree seems to be the place for second hand stuff, notice boards in supermarkets too.

heard about gumtree alright, will def give that a look. how do i manage with references for renting purposes? Both myself and my oh own our own houses for at least 7 years so i cant get references from previous landlords.

Will a letter from friends or family do? A letter from Boss at work or something?

heard about gumtree alright, will def give that a look. how do i manage with references for renting purposes? Both myself and my oh own our own houses for at least 7 years so i cant get references from previous landlords.

Will a letter from friends or family do? A letter from Boss at work or something?
    Good question, I guess character references would be as good. It just makes it easier so don't worry if you don't have one.

Advertisement