Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kayaking and Fishing

Options
  • 16-08-2012 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi are any of you guys on the Donegal section into Kayak fishing? I've been Kayak fishing for a few years now, I have a Hobie Adventure Island. This isn't my boat but its identical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Hi are any of you guys on the Donegal section into Kayak fishing? I've been Kayak fishing for a few years now, I have a Hobie Adventure Island. This isn't my boat but its identical.

Not into that but really like your boat I am looking to get myself an ordinary Kayak next year. I am waiting on a hip operation so want to get that out the road first

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Leeandcrowd

Not into that but really like your boat I am looking to get myself an ordinary Kayak next year. I am waiting on a hip operation so want to get that out the road first

I'd not ever kayaked or sailed until I was 40, I'm completely addicted now,the main thing is to do it as safely as you can, that means life jacket, trip plan etc etc,just common sense stuff really.

Best wishes for the future hip op.

P.S the most important thing with kayaking is, you must be able to get back into your kayak if you fall out, there's a bit of a knack to it

I'd not ever kayaked or sailed until I was 40, I'm completely addicted now,the main thing is to do it as safely as you can, that means life jacket, trip plan etc etc,just common sense stuff really.

Best wishes for the future hip op.

Cheers mate I used to do it a fair bit when I was younger in my 50's now and looking forward to getting back to it. I started back doing serious swimming last year and its given me the itch to get back Kayaking

Cheers mate I used to do it a fair bit when I was younger in my 50's now and looking forward to getting back to it. I started back doing serious swimming last year and its given me the itch to get back Kayaking

Did you ever try sit on top kayaks as opposed to sit in kayaks? you have some great waters for kayaking

Did you ever try sit on top kayaks as opposed to sit in kayaks? you have some great waters for kayaking

No I haven't might be worth having a look at though cheers

• Advertisement

No I haven't might be worth having a look at though cheers

The only trouble with sit on tops are they are a wet paddle, and if you paddle in the cold they don't have the protection from the elements like a sit in kayak

The only trouble with sit on tops are they are a wet paddle, and if you paddle in the cold they don't have the protection from the elements like a sit in kayak

Yeah just looking at them on line and I could see the problem but hey ho theres always a way round things. I will put some thought into it though.
    So you any nearer making a decision on whether to move you and your family over

Yeah just looking at them on line and I could see the problem but hey ho theres always a way round things. I will put some thought into it though.

I'm coming over in a couple of weeks times to look at houses and areas, so far the balance is in favour of moving to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Spent some very enjoyable days crossing the magilligan narrows and mooching around the little bays along the Donegal coast.

Magilligan at full tide run can be......... interesting..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Dry suit

• Advertisement

Arawn wrote: »
    Dry suit

Yeah I had thought of that
    Thanks though its always good that on here people will give you advice

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Bought a wilderness tarpon 140 last summer. (bargain deal in 53 degrees north at the time, couldn't pass it). Was hoping to get out on it this summer but I did my back in. Hopefully get out in it soon. Greencastle area would be great for kayaking. All the way around to Kinnago bay. There's a good local kayaking company in Moville: justkayak. I don't know if there's a club in the area.

A drysuit is a must in our part of Europe if you venture out between November and April [April is when the water is at its coldest]

muckish wrote: »
    Bought a wilderness tarpon 140 last summer. (bargain deal in 53 degrees north at the time, couldn't pass it). Was hoping to get out on it this summer but I did my back in. Hopefully get out in it soon. Greencastle area would be great for kayaking. All the way around to Kinnago bay. There's a good local kayaking company in Moville: justkayak. I don't know if there's a club in the area.

Do you fish from your Tarpon? sounds like your spoilt for choice for places to yak, for me at the mo its the North Sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭bhamsteve

I'm moving up to Letterkenny in a few weeks. I was there this weekend and lough Swilly looks like a good spot for Sea fishing, I didn't take canoe with me but the water around Rathmullen and Port Salon looked sheltered, and plenty of mackrel and pollack.

I have one of these
    http://www.riversandclouds.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=83
    which is nice and stable if the sea gets choppy,

or I get a lend of my dad's
    http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/discontinued_models/recreational_ride/ride_135_recreational/
    Which is better suited to fishing, and more comfortable.

Good luck with the move, where are you coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭TheBikeGuy

bhamsteve wrote: »
    I'm moving up to Letterkenny in a few weeks. I was there this weekend and lough Swilly looks like a good spot for Sea fishing, I didn't take canoe with me but the water around Rathmullen and Port Salon looked sheltered, and plenty of mackrel and pollack.

I have one of these
    http://www.riversandclouds.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=83
    which is nice and stable if the sea gets choppy,

or I get a lend of my dad's
    http://www.wildernesssystems.com/product/index/products/discontinued_models/recreational_ride/ride_135_recreational/
    Which is better suited to fishing, and more comfortable.

Good luck with the move, where are you coming from?

What is the inflatable kayak like in strong wind? Its stable in choppy conditions you say? Was thinking about getting one

Thanks

Advertisement