Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surely you cant do this in a democratic state!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

self defence? meh, revenge for the murder of 2 of their colleagues, from the amount of shots fired i'd say they were enjoying it, maybe the reason the (mob) had weapons themselves was because they knew this would be the outcome eventually? lets face it, SA is no holiday destination now is it.

There is a documented phenomenon whereby when groups of people firing tend to

A] Have a hit rate of 43% at best and that's from about 6 foot away
    B] Will keep firing because everyone else is - it's a weird feedback loop of sorts.

But I'm sorry, you were making shit up, how rude of me to interrupt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

The corruption there is unreal. I remember reading the following article last year about how relations of Mandela and Zuma were running a mine and how the workers were not been paid for months on end. They were too poor to do anything about it and depended on the ANC to provide them with food while they remained at the mine. Khulubuse Zuma who was chairman of the mine at the time donated millions to the ANC while failing to pay the workers wages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13275704

It's not surprising that people get hurt in such circumstances. People can only be pushed so far before reacting. The sad thing is that this will probably barely be noticed in SA. People are well used to hearing about police shooting people dead... it's a complete shithole and it's amazing how most if it seems to be ignored by the rest of the Western world.

firstly who are u too call the place a sh/thole???the police did the right there as they were been charged by protesters with machetes,knives and hand guns(were found on some of the bodies).those protesters already killed two cops and a few fellow workers who did not want to strike and just wanted to go back to work.if i was there i would have shot them all,i would not risk my life or a fellow officers life just because im scared to shot a black man?no matter what colour u are...if u charge the police with weapons and refuse to stop when u have been warned numerous times u will be shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

marc96 wrote: »
    firstly who are u too call the place a sh/thole???

Why shouldn't I call it a ****hole? It's worse than a ****hole

A woman is statistically more likely to be raped in SA than educated.

What would you call a place with such a reputation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

firstly who are u too call the place a sh/thole???the police did the right there as they were been charged by protesters with machetes,knives and hand guns(were found on some of the bodies).those protesters already killed two cops and a few fellow workers who did not want to strike and just wanted to go back to work.if i was there i would have shot them all,i would not risk my life or a fellow officers life just because im scared to shot a black man?no matter what colour u are...if u charge the police with weapons and refuse to stop when u have been warned numerous times u will be shot

no, he only reason why the workers had weapons in the first place is because the police over there are violent trash themselves.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Why shouldn't I call it a ****hole? It's worse than a ****hole

sorry i forgot this doesnt happen in ireland!!!I would feel safer walking around SA at night than i would around Dublin.dont speak or get involved in things u no nothing about except for what u read in the papers.if everybody outside of ireland did that then they would expect to see explosions and gang shootings everyday in ireland????

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

sorry i forgot this doesnt happen in ireland!!!I would feel safer walking around SA at night than i would around Dublin.dont speak or get involved in things u no nothing about except for what u read in the papers.if everybody outside of ireland did that then they would expect to see explosions and gang shootings everyday in ireland????

Do you know anybody from SA? Because I do and they tell me that there are very few places in SA that you can walk at night.

I've lived in Dublin on and off for ten years and as dodgy as some places may be they dont compare to the stories I have been told about SA.

conor1979 wrote: »
    Do you know anybody from SA? Because I do and they tell me that there are very few places in SA that you can walk at night.

I've lived in Dublin on and off for ten years and as dodgy as some places may be they dont compare to the stories I have been told about SA.

im from SA,my whole family lives there.

im from SA,my whole family lives there.

And you think Dublin isn't as safe?

And you think Dublin isn't as safe?

im just saying i wouldnt walk at night alone in dublin,where if i was in cape town i would.

• Advertisement

im just saying i wouldnt walk at night alone in dublin,where if i was in cape town i would.

You have a seriously skewed view of Dublin!!!

I've lived in a few major cities and Dublin is as safe as any of them.

I was supposed to go and work in a bar in Joberg a few years ago and the SA doormen I knew told me not to as it was too dangerous.

I was told Cape Town was safer but only around the harbour area. Once you got outside of this area it just got dodgy!

I wont be happy if they were telling me porkys!!!!!:mad:

You have a seriously skewed view of Dublin!!!

I've lived in a few major cities and Dublin is as safe as any of them.

I was supposed to go and work in a bar in Joberg a few years ago and the SA doormen I knew told me not to as it was too dangerous.

I was told Cape Town was safer but only around the harbour area. Once you got outside of this area it just got dodgy!

I wont be happy if they were telling me porkys!!!!!:mad:

So u think the harbour area is safe in cape town??dont listen to everything everybody says.the further out of the city centre the safer it is.and yes dublin in a kip,scumbags all over the place and druggies everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

sorry i forgot this doesnt happen in ireland!!!I would feel safer walking around SA at night than i would around Dublin.

Well, no. It doesn't happen in Ireland. There isn't a belief amongst most of the Irish population that rape isn't really a big deal, or that violence is the best way to settle disputes. The fact that you're throwing up the problems in Dublin/Ireland in order to avoid addressing the issues in SA and it's main cities speaks volumes.

I never said that Dublin or Ireland were idyllic btw, but to suggest that it's on par, let alone make it sound worse than SA in terms of crime and corruption, is laughable.

So u think the harbour area is safe in cape town??dont listen to everything everybody says.the further out of the city centre the safer it is.and yes dublin in a kip,scumbags all over the place and druggies everywhere.

I would rather take a few scumbags and druggies walking around the place than be constantly rated as one of the most dangerous cities in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭SlowJack

I am not sure what to think of this happening, I looked at some footage and think the miners was kettled into a corner and had no other choice but to move into the police firing line, they where flanked with barbed wire and tunneled to the point.

Minutes before the killing started, the press was warned to move out between the striking miners, as if the police knew of that the **** is going to hit the fan.

Also if they where not going prepared to shoot and kill people, why do they have snipers armed with heavy 7.62 cal rifles, they only deploy snipers to kill.....!!

If you look at the picture you can clearly see the rifle over the policeman's back is fitted with a scope and not the normal police rifle. Police normally carry 5.56 cal rifles like the most pictures you will see.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/Feeds/ipad_images/2012/08/16/police-at-lonmin-mine--.jpg/ALTERNATES/crop_630x400/Police+at+Lonmin+Mine+-.jpg

I think they knew that they would be killing somebody on the day, payback.....:cool:

SlowJack wrote: »
    I am not sure what to think of this happening, I looked at some footage and think the miners was kettled into a corner and had no other choice but to move into the police firing line, they where flanked with barbed wire and tunneled to the point.

Minutes before the killing started, the press was warned to move out between the striking miners, as if the police knew of that the **** is going to hit the fan.

Also if they where not going prepared to shoot and kill people, why do they have snipers armed with heavy 7.62 cal rifles, they only deploy snipers to kill.....!!

If you look at the picture you can clearly see the rifle over the policeman's back is fitted with a scope and not the normal police rifle. Police normally carry 5.56 cal rifles like the most pictures you will see.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/Feeds/ipad_images/2012/08/16/police-at-lonmin-mine--.jpg/ALTERNATES/crop_630x400/Police+at+Lonmin+Mine+-.jpg

I think they knew that they would be killing somebody on the day, payback.....:cool:

This is one of those things that we'll never know the "truth" about. Maybe in 60 years when a definite winner has been decided we'll find something to show us what really happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement