Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a GFX card in town?

Options
  • 16-08-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

hey,

Im looking for a place to buy a gfx card in town? I made this thread earlier, but on reflection it might be better suited in here.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

red_ice wrote: »
    hey,

Im looking for a place to buy a gfx card in town? I made this thread earlier, but on reflection it might be better suited in here.

Cheers

Don't even bother, the graphics cards in places like Maplins are horribly overpriced and underpowered. If you really want something fast, just order it through Komplett and pick it up in a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Eboggles wrote: »
    Don't even bother, the graphics cards in places like Maplins are horribly overpriced and underpowered. If you really want something fast, just order it through Komplett and pick it up in a day or two.
    Or Elara (Parkwest).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ape X wrote: »
    Or Elara (Parkwest).

Can you collect directly from Elara?

Ive a wedding around that area this weekend and a few quid burning a hole in my pocket............

This wont end well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Komplett have the 660 http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/nvidia/80008080/evga_geforce_gtx660ti_2gb/details.aspx. If you bought over the weekend you'd have it for Thursday or Friday. You'll get 2 years support from Komplett plus EVGA's excellent support. Brick and mortar's are only good if you need a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Can you collect directly from Elara?

Ive a wedding around that area this weekend and a few quid burning a hole in my pocket............

This wont end well :D
    Yes, but think they're Monday to Friday only. Check out the website to make sure - elara.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The 660ti it sot expensive at the moment. Its sits between the 7870 and 7950 and they are asking 7950 money at the moment.

If they where $300 like they are supposed to be ~€250 I'd say it't the one to get. At the moment its the 7950.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ape X wrote: »
    Yes, but think they're Monday to Friday only. Check out the website to make sure - elara.ie

Will do, cheers pal

Elara are quite expensive.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I find Scan.co.uk's selection very reasonably priced. Also a very large selection. Delivery is quick to Ireland (3 days for me on 3 occasions), and postage is also cheap.

660Ti here for about 300 euro, and comes with Borderlands 2 for added value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

wexford town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Komplett have the 660 http://www.komplett.ie/komplett/product/nvidia/80008080/evga_geforce_gtx660ti_2gb/details.aspx. If you bought over the weekend you'd have it for Thursday or Friday. You'll get 2 years support from Komplett plus EVGA's excellent support. Brick and mortar's are only good if you need a laugh.

thats nearly double what i was going to spend, dont think ill bother in that case!
    I find Scan.co.uk's selection very reasonably priced. Also a very large selection. Delivery is quick to Ireland (3 days for me on 3 occasions), and postage is also cheap.

Whats their returns policy like? Can you buy through a company with them? 300 is a bit of a stretch but i suppose i could do it if the circumstances are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

How much are you willing to spend? You don't need to go up that high to get a very good card.

Other cards to look at,
    660it
    560ti

Sorry I can't do links atm but they are pretty much ordered going from most powerful to least powerful and there is cards going from €350~ to €110 so there should be one that fits your budget.

With delivery it's 320 euro. 13 euro's more you can gets the EVGA. Which is a better company to deal with if anything goes wrong.
    I agree with Procrastastudy though. The 660 just came out yesterday so, I'd wait for the price to come down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Scan delivery is 15 sterling, which isn't great for one item.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Scan delivery is 15 sterling, which isn't great for one item.

Oh really. Twas a fiver the last time I dealt with them....

How long do you think it will take for the price to drop? If we're talking a month or so Im not sure its worth the wait as im only buying this to play cs:go/ts2/tribes ascend at a good framerate.

Also, while we've had a great talk about different gfx cards, I'm still without a list of places to buy stuff in dublin! :P

elara, jaguar computers, lazer computers, maplins, peats, pc world are what i have so far and none of them stock the 560ti!

red_ice wrote: »
    How long do you think it will take for the price to drop? If we're talking a month or so Im not sure its worth the wait as im only buying this to play cs:go/ts2/tribes ascend at a good framerate.

Also, while we've had a great talk about different gfx cards, I'm still without a list of places to buy stuff in dublin! :P

elara, jaguar computers, lazer computers, maplins, peats, pc world are what i have so far and none of them stock the 560ti!

They won't GPUs don't hold their value and the only way to make any money on them is to sell in bulk. If you by from even the best Irish supplier you're looking at paying well over the odds. Your best bet is to Order it from Komplett (You dont have to pay until you pick it up) and hope it arrives before you're getting to Dublin.

The other alternative is adverts.ie - there's a 7970 going for €380.

Probably the only decent card peats have (for about 75 over asking) is the 6870

Why does it have to be a brick and mortar shop in Dublin to buy it?

caved in and bought the 660ti

That coupled up with my new 27 inch monitor should make for a bit of fun! Raging i didnt know about the 120hz version tho before I bought it!

Why does it have to be a brick and mortar shop in Dublin to buy it?

I prefer to show up and shove faulty hardware in peoples faces when it fails! :) I bought a 9800 gt a while ago and it had the same heat sync that the 660ti has and it over heated and died within 6 months.

I bought it from overclockers.co.uk and they wouldn't help me out with it so from then on I've bought my hardware from somewhere that's easy to go in and have a moan at!

• Advertisement

Advertisement