Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen Training Ireland course question

Options
  • 16-08-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey guys...

Sorry if this seems like a bit of a stupid post.. Just signed up to Fas's Screen Training Ireland site and uploaded my CV so I could apply for one of their courses in skills for television research... when I clicked 'apply for course' it obviously automatically sent my details/CV which I already had uploaded but as I'm a student my CV is fairly bare with relevent experience etc so I was hoping i'd be brought to a another window where I could add an expression of interest or something...anyone think it would be entirely weird/inappropriate to send on a messege (a bit more formal than saying i'm really interested in this i swear!) of interest to support my CV to the email given to answer queries about the course?

Also, is it mainly professionals / Graduates doing a course like this or would it be common place for students to take part also? My course isnt Communications neccessarily, more media studies (theory) and cultural studies..

Apols for so many questions!

Cheers :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 singingfish

Hi MsDarcy,

All I can offer here is a personal opinion - but, I would suggest that at the end of any automated system there will be a real human who will have to do the processing. I imagine they are using the online applications to make their jobs easier (centralised collection of applications, access from anywhere, time stamp on arrival, etc). But, if you were to email the person at Screen Training Ireland directly, and politely, and state your case it may make a difference. I imagine this would depend on the level of demand for the course you have applied for. Their remit is to help industry professionals, but if they have space available on the course there is probably no reason why you couldn't be accommodated as a future industry professional. IMHO.

Worth a shot is all I can say. In my experience nobody ever minds getting a polite enquiry.

Post how you get on??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As I understand it FAS courses aren't based on your ability or suitability. It's a first come first served system. You will be added to the list and will have to wait your turn for the class. If the class has a lot of applicants you could be waiting until next year or longer. If there's 90 people signed up at the moment and the class can only accommodate 30, you'll have to wait for that course to cycle 3 times before it's your go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ScumLord wrote: »
    As I understand it FAS courses aren't based on your ability or suitability. It's a first come first served system.

With Screentraining Ireland courses they do look at who's applying. You can't automatically get into them. Some courses are designed for professionals working in the film/tv industry and so they will look at CVs and decide if people are suitable or not. On some courses you may have to submit samples of your work before being selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MsDarcy

Thanks for the replies !

It was a 2 day television research course which is why I thought they may be open to non professionals as it is informational rather then practically orientated/ building on previous knowledge (If you get me)

Got rejected but will try again another time, thanks for the info :)

Advertisement