Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Number plate size

• 16-08-2012 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I have an ER6 with a tail tidy and the number plate is very small and tooked under the seat.

I'm worried if I go to do my test it will be cancelled because it might not be legal. I can't find sizes for motorcycle number plates and there is no number plate light which is a requirement in the rules of the road.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Get a legal size plate for your bike test, or your test will be cancelled when the tester sees your small reg plate. You would have to spend another 85 euro to book another test date.

Europlates
    Trim Road Dunboyne Co Meath
    Co Meath
    Phone: (01)8251804

They will make up a plate while you wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yes. It would be cancelled....I did my test in March and it was the 1st thing he looked at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Legal minimum size on a bike is 170x110mm (square) or 260x55mm (rectangular)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1999/en/si/0432.html

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Like the lads said, they won't let you sit the test with a small number plate! My first test was cancelled because my indicators weren't standard, they were aftermarket LED's (way smaller!) so there's no way they'll let you do the test on a small plate. As Mick suggested, Europlates in Trim are good, or some motor factors do them too.

Good luck with the test.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Just get one made up for €20 anywhere and stick it on on top of your current one so its visible - not worth getting it cancelled

• Advertisement

Like the lads said, they won't let you sit the test with a small number plate! My first test was cancelled because my indicators weren't standard, they were aftermarket LED's (way smaller!) so there's no way they'll let you do the test on a small plate. As Mick suggested, Europlates in Trim are good, or some motor factors do them too.

Good luck with the test.

how small were they?
    Ive got these on mine and doing the test soon
    (there ****e I know!)

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Turn-Signal-Light-led-indicator-Suzuki-DRZ-400-SM-GS-Bandit-Katana-GSX-GSXR-750-/261017088494?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3cc5d4b1ee#ht_7820wt_1163

urbanledge wrote: »

Yeah, that's kinda like what I had on the Hornet. You might get a decent lad who might over-look it, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

also need a rear reflector, but, like the rear numberplate light, you'd have to be very unlucky to get the jobsworth that would refuse you..

Ah bollix,
    more fecking money,
    just got my date for next month too
    Im not holding off till Jan,coulnt be ringed and im wont be changing my bike so no point.

whats a rear reflector?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

like what ye have on the back of your bicycle - so if your taillight fails on the motorway, you're not completely invisible

check out adverts.ie, think theres a few guys on there that will do v cheap license plates. I got two seperate ones made up for 20e delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'd be very reluctant to buy a bike with only one tail-light bulb, after having been caught out at night before... seriously, no excuse for not putting twin bulbs in a bike as standard.

Aftermarket indicators should be OK if they are E-marked (a small circle in the lens with a lower case e and a number) A lot of the unapproved indicators are useless anyway.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Redkite

I have uploaded a copy of the rules of the road and indicators are not mentioned. They are built into the tail tidy but I will fit on standard ones so there will be no problems when it comes to the test.

The number plate is to small and I will need to fit a bigger one. The size must be no smaller than half the one cars 340 x 220 therefore 170 x 110mm is for bikes as quoted in the legislation. Thanks for uploading the link for that.

Thanks for all the replyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Didn't know there was a specific size for bikereg's.
    Won't even bother measuring mine, its tiny(the reg of course) and may or may not have left over double sided sticky tape from when I had a bigger reg on it. Funnily enough it was a cop who ripped the bigger reg off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I did my test in Tallaght with a small plate and nothing was said, as did my hosuemate. I have heard of people being told to use handsignals because their indicators weren't orange enough though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I have a rather small...reg plate on my bus.

Has anyone travelled in Europe with the bike + small reg - any hassle? I've been told Germany is quite strict on that carryon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Any country run right will not take kindly TBH...down here (on the roads) it depends on if the copper had his lunch or not....no consistency at all. I personally would not risk a test for the sake of a plate....maybe outside of Dublin the footfall will be lower so they are more picky. With the numbers in Dublin they let it slide.

kaimera wrote: »
    I have a rather small...reg plate on my bus.

Has anyone travelled in Europe with the bike + small reg - any hassle? I've been told Germany is quite strict on that carryon

Similar to what Wonda-Boy said, anywhere outside Ireland and you're bringing trouble on yourself. Germany is strict (as you said) as is France. The UK can be just as sticky about other stuff (dark visors/loud cans etc.) so TBH, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Didn't know there was a specific size for bikereg's.
    Won't even bother measuring mine, its tiny(the reg of course) and may or may not have left over double sided sticky tape from when I had a bigger reg on it. Funnily enough it was a cop who ripped the bigger reg off.

A cop ripped the bigger reg off ? Tell on ?

Halfords hafe daycent double sided reg tape...less than a tenner anyway, i used it to stick on a used gopro mount for my IBT / Rider Assessment:)

Advertisement