Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much formula at 8 weeks

Options
  • 16-08-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to introduce a bottle of formula to my 8 week old and was just wondering how much should she be drinking.

I made a 4 oz bottle today and yesterday which she drank but after about half an hour she was looking for the breast and it felt like she had another good drink.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Read the side of the box it tells you how much a baby should be drinking per day

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I didn't think of that, baby brain must be still in force ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

fitzcoff wrote: »
    I didn't think of that, baby brain must be still in force ;)
    Also, bf isn't just about feeding. Baby might just want the comfort of the boob after a bottle feed and needs mammy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Tiz ok fitzcoff we have all been there, I'm embarrassed to say how long it took me to see what was printed on the side of the formula box and even then it was the OH who pointed it out to, and as lazygirl said she is probably looking for the comfort of your breast too.

I introduced a soother at 6mths as he was using my breast not only to feed but as a dummy and when I introduced a bottle I ended up introducing a soother to get a little bit of me time back.

If you havent already introduced the soother and are going to, my one bit of big advice is only to give it at nap time and then going to bed, I have a 2yr old who has it grafted to his lips all the time and its a nightmare trying to get it off him now, but we live and learn and lesson well and truly learned here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Thanks girls.

I bf my 2 boys for a lot longer and never introduced a bottle until they were fully weaned off the breast and on solids. As she is the third my time is a not fully my own to give her the breast all the time so feel the need to introduce the bottle. Expressing never worked for me.

I tried the soother with her a few weeks back and she had no interest but I might have to try again if she's not settling after the bottle, kinda defeats giving her a bottle if I have to give her the breast afterwards :rolleyes:

My eldest took a soother from day 1 and had 2 of them with him constantly til he was 2 and a half so I can understand the nightmare. We got him to put all of them that were around the house into the wheelie bin outside and then brought him to Smyths to buy a bike as a reward. There were tears that night but after that he was fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement