Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When you think about it,life is pointless.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

nbar12 wrote: »
    You know what, you're dead right! I'm gonna go mad tomorrow and take a dump in the urinals in work

Please don't. Life is tough enough without having to have the damn hardly boys all over here asking who went number 2 in the urinal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

galwayrush wrote: »
    You'll feel much happier OP if you give me all your money and property.
    astonaidan wrote: »
    and the people is how Scientology began!

I would have said, this is how the corrupt Irish Banking industry started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

ScumLord wrote: »
    No we're not, a human is no more important than a bird or an otter.

If you think of all life on earth as one big bunch of cells, everything blends into one. Imagine an alien species that couldn't differentiate one cell from another it would see earth in a totally different light and would highlight just how important humans are, which is not really all that important at all. To me that's freedom.

Insane comment ....! I think you'd be best suited to be placed in a greenhouse with a lot of "Triffids" around you ... ?

Ah, I see now ... you're ALL mad on AH ... why did no one tell me!?!

Eden3 wrote: »
    Ah, I see now ... you're ALL mad on AH ... why did no one tell me!?!

You must be mad not to see it! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Why do people always assume that when a person asks this they are unhappy and depressed isin't it the most important question even when things are going well?
    Of course the easy answer is "try enjoy yourself" what one should do to enjoy oneself is the tricky part, for example drinking is usually the first idea that comes to mind when people attempt to take a hands on approach to enjoying life, but we all know in the long run it doesn't really work the same goes for other drugs legal or illegal.
    So then people come up with great plans that are based on a balanced lifestyle or goal setting.
    A balanced lifestyle which is an effort to do a little bit of everything and not go OTT on any one thing, i'm not too gone on this approach to life it sounds a bit like waving a white flag to me.
    Goal setting, challenging yourself etc this is very common these days, trying to win an olympic medal or climb Mt Everest, I think this is just plain crazy behaviour. You think up of something that is difficult for you to do but is possible, then you set about doing it, madness.

Red21 wrote: »
    ...You think up of something that is difficult for you to do but is possible, then you set about doing it, madness.

Look up "hierarchy of needs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Some day, thousands of years from now, a kid will be born who will be essentially immortal with the capability to visit any galaxy, star system or solar system in the universe.

We are all a party of the working towards that.

Red21 wrote: »
    Why do people always assume that when a person asks this they are unhappy and depressed isin't it the most important question even when things are going well?
    Of course the easy answer is "try enjoy yourself" what one should do to enjoy oneself is the tricky part, for example drinking is usually the first idea that comes to mind when people attempt to take a hands on approach to enjoying life, but we all know in the long run it doesn't really work the same goes for other drugs legal or illegal.
    So then people come up with great plans that are based on a balanced lifestyle or goal setting.
    A balanced lifestyle which is an effort to do a little bit of everything and not go OTT on any one thing, i'm not too gone on this approach to life it sounds a bit like waving a white flag to me.
    Goal setting, challenging yourself etc this is very common these days, trying to win an olympic medal or climb Mt Everest, I think this is just plain crazy behaviour. You think up of something that is difficult for you to do but is possible, then you set about doing it, madness.

Well, me personally, would always err on the side of caution if someone "might" be crying out for help .... maybe I should be more hard-hearted, but .... eh, no ... just can't! :). It's not really a philosophy like the above comment, just a human kindness really ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

cheer up OP life is more fun when you get over needing a reason to exist...but if you do need reasons my top two are tits and my bottom two are ass cheeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Insane comment ....! I think you'd be best suited to be placed in a greenhouse with a lot of "Triffids" around you ... ?

What is so speical about humans then? Other than we are a plauge and a cancer for every other animal.

We like to think of ourselves as speical but we are not. If thinking you are speical helps you cope with the fact that you are a bag of meat sitting on a rock in outer space and that someday you will die and you are completely powerless, helpless and insignigicant in the wake of this beautiful cosic sh1tstorm we call existaence then excellent. Continue thinking that you are speical.

If and when you accept that you are so infinatly insignigicant it is strangly liberating. You will just enjoy life as it comes and live in the moment.

yes i must sound like a hippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

we are here for one reason and one reason only and that is to live and how you live it is up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What is so speical about humans then? Other than we are a plauge and a cancer for every other animal.
    I think in the long run humans could greatly benefit life on earth as long as we make it off this planet. If we do make it to other planets we will end up being earth's reproductive system by infecting every other planet with our fellow living organism's. Life tends to give reproduction the highest value to the point it will sacrifice everything to see reproduction happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

doolox wrote: »
    .....about religion, apologetics, metaphysics, maybe some art and poetry and some music etc...

Find out as much as you can about people who went through the same thing and came out stronger for it.

All the big religious "heavy hitters", Ignatius Loyola, Martin Luther etc went through emotional agonies about basic things like the nature of God, his existance and the relevance of religion to everyday life.

Each and everyone of us is on a journey and each and every one of us has our own answer.
    Hippy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Theres really no point in doing anything,because we are all going to die anyway.
    Seems to me that's the perfect reason for doing almost everything

I think in the long run humans could greatly benefit life on earth as long as we make it off this planet. If we do make it to other planets we will end up being earth's reproductive system by infecting every other planet with our fellow living organism's. Life tends to give reproduction the highest value to the point it will sacrifice everything to see reproduction happen.

This is kinda tieing into what i am saying in the other tread

But what good would that do if we kill everything when trying to get off the planet?

And what is the point in helping in a thosand years time (presuming that we haven't blown ourselves to bits by then) when we are killing and destroying animals and the enviroment now?

Yes it is a nobal gole and i dont deny what you are saying but i believe that we should take 2 steps back and develope a different type of society that doesn't involve so much destroction of the world around us and has a different more important value system. Then we would be in a poistion to help the planet in the short term. Then we could think about flying all to other planets and then help long term.

This is kinda tieing into what i am saying in the other tread

But what good would that do if we kill everything when trying to get off the planet?
    Life doesn't need much, it's been brought back to the bacterial level on more than one occasion on this planet and we still ended up with multicellular life. All we have to do is get to another planet and it's more than likely going to be infected with earth life.

For all we know something stowed away on the curiosity mission and is polluting mars with earth germs as we speak.

The human body is an ecosystem onto itself, there is 360 times more microbial genes on and in the human body than there are human genes. We're a cesspit of non-human life and we don't even realise it.

Life doesn't need much, it's been brought back to the bacterial level on more than one occasion on this planet and we still ended up with multicellular life.

That isn't what i ment. What i mean is why do series harm to animals and the enviroment trying to get to another planet when we should be trying to become more statanable and in tune with nature. This will help everything now. then we can worry about getting to other planets and helping long term but The end dosn't justify the means in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

Thats life jim but not as we know it.:P

• Advertisement

That isn't what i ment. What i mean is why do series harm to animals and the enviroment trying to get to another planet when we should be trying to become more statanable and in tune with nature. This will help everything now. then we can worry about getting to other planets and helping long term but The end dosn't justify the means in my opinion.
    I think we're going to be forced to live in harmony, it's happening now and living sustainably is actually good practice for travelling to other planets. At the end of the day though we're not actually hurting life on earth, we're only destroying the environment we feel comfortable in.

I think it's more imperative that we get off this planet. If we could send our excess population into space it would benefit the planet. In 2 or 3 hundred years I can see earth becoming like a protected environment that most humans never get to see in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

so, no sex lately OP?

yeah, aint easy.

still until the sex comes you could try chocolate, wine, wine with chocolate, crispy bacon, jogging (I'm told) watching Peter Kay (over now, but might be a repeat), em, walking possibly, wine, em....beer? em,....

but the sex will come again.

no pun intended.

I think we're going to be forced to live in harmony, it's happening now and living sustainably is actually good practice for travelling to other planets. At the end of the day though we're not actually hurting life on earth, we're only destroying the environment we feel comfortable in.

I think it's more imperative that we get off this planet.
    If we could send our excess population into space it would benefit the planet. In 2 or 3 hundred years I can see earth becoming like a protected environment that most humans never get to see in person.
    sounds like someone has already left....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I hurt my finger popping keys off a keyboard :(

I think it's more imperative that we get off this planet. If we could send our excess population into space it would benefit the planet. In 2 or 3 hundred years I can see earth becoming like a protected environment that most humans never get to see in person.

+1 on living in harmony and sustainably.

I dont agree that getting off this planet should be as imperative as you make out. If we were living in harmony with the world around us and had a descent set of values i wouldn't see the big rush in getting off the planet. There is the issue of the ever increasing population but i think would sort itself out if we had the perfect cashless society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
    - my man Charles Darwin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Life is amazing.

Go travelling, explore, walk up mountains, find someone you love who cares about you, drink wine, watch art house movies, enjoy music, build something, write, exercise, read books, try loads of different foods, help people in need, make someone smile, live in another country for a while - you'd be surprised how much this can change your life, care for animals, get a dog or a cat, don't fight, forget about being angry all the time, forget about politicians and banks - you can't change them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

You have a point OP "Just enjoy yourself" :rolleyes:

Same ****ers who would be complaining against drug legalisation threads, getting locked on the weekends, using prostitutes, gambling, pulling a sickie, doing nixers, not paying the household charge/TV license etc. etc. I could go on ...

We spend at least 40 - 50 years working from 9 - 5, five days a week. By the time we're retired or not prematurely dead, we're either too old or sick to do anything like travel, bucket list, except quietly wait for death at around 80 years of age.

We're definitely not here to enjoy ourselves anymore, just to make sure we don't offend the wrong people and follow a system IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

It is pointless OP. But just enjoy yourself as much as you can.

• Advertisement

MaxSteele wrote: »
    You have a point OP "Just enjoy yourself" :rolleyes:

Same ****ers who would be complaining against drug legalisation threads, getting locked on the weekends, using prostitutes, gambling, pulling a sickie, doing nixers, not paying the household charge/TV license etc. etc. I could go on ...

We spend at least 40 - 50 years working from 9 - 5, five days a week. By the time we're retired or not prematurely dead, we're either too old or sick to do anything like travel, bucket list, except quietly wait for death at around 80 years of age.

We're definitely not here to enjoy ourselves anymore, just to make sure we don't offend the wrong people and follow a system IMO.

This reminds me of a post by Diapason on a tread awhile ago. Will copy and past. Full credits to himslef

An American tourist was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The tourist complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The tourist then asked, "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?"

The Mexican said, "With this I have more than enough to support my family's needs."

The tourist then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The tourist scoffed, " I can help you. You should spend more time fishing; and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat: With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor; eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York where you could run your ever-expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

The tourist replied, "15 to 20 years."

"But what then?" asked the Mexican.

The tourist laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions?...Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

This reminds me of a post by Diapason on a tread awhile ago. Will copy and past. Full credits to himslef

An American tourist was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The tourist complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The tourist then asked, "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?"

The Mexican said, "With this I have more than enough to support my family's needs."

The tourist then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The tourist scoffed, " I can help you. You should spend more time fishing; and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat: With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor; eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York where you could run your ever-expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

The tourist replied, "15 to 20 years."

"But what then?" asked the Mexican.

The tourist laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions?...Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."

I'd say a majority of yanks would still view this scenario as achieving the American Dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

To what end? getting of the planet is just more large scale goal setting, i'm sure if people who lived 500 years ago were shown the technology that we have today some of them would believe that in the 21th century enjoying life (which is the ultimate aim) would be a piece of cake, but it isn't. We are still relying on drink and other drugs to have a good time.

If we were living in harmony with the world around us and had a descent set of values i wouldn't see the big rush in getting off the planet.
    The big rush is we are running out of resources on this planet and we may face the problem of not being able to every get off this planet if we wait too long.

Human's are also as efficient as they need to be, we won't get any better at ecological living unless we have to. I think we'll grow and grow taking more and more resources until we've used up everything we can. It will seem like we're getting better at getting the most out of the resources and we would be but we're inevitably going to drain this planet dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Please don't. Life is tough enough without having to have the damn hardly boys all over here asking who went number 2 in the urinal.

I'm just back from taking a dump in the urinals, delighted nobody saw me! Let the chaos commence mwhahahaha :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Allow Captain sensible to explain it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The "why question" is just a stupid question I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

He not busy being born is busy dying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

It is pointless and futile, we're like robots repeating the same actions over and over again. However, I'd rather not dwell on that thought for too long, nothing good comes of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

What are we even supposed to be doing here?

Theres really no point in doing anything,because we are all going to die anyway.

There's chocolate. And sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

LoYL wrote: »
    So make up your own point. Breed the best ****zu terrier ever. I don't even know if that's a breed of dog.

ah the Shih tzu breed and very clever little buggers too, love them
    what is this a cry for help.?

how is it pointless when you can do whatever you want to do, live your life my man and get on whit it. there is no point wollowing in self pitty.

no. the op is just questioning our existence. that doesn't mean, in your own little head, that the op wants to jump off.

If you think of all life on earth as one big bunch of cells, everything blends into one. Imagine an alien species that couldn't differentiate one cell from another it would see earth in a totally different light and would highlight just how important humans are, which is not really all that important at all. To me that's freedom.

hmmm Eden said 'we're all here for a reason" i'd have thought he/she meant the birds included. they've said nothing here about importance of one over the other?

how could it highlight to an alien species how important we humans are if the aliens couldn't differentiate one cell from another??? sure we'd be all the same no?

are you mixed up in jargon?

agreed. :)

ArtSmart wrote: »
    so, no sex lately OP?

yeah, aint easy.

still until the sex comes you could try chocolate, wine, wine with chocolate, crispy bacon, jogging (I'm told) watching Peter Kay (over now, but might be a repeat), em, walking possibly, wine, em....beer? em,....

no pun intended.

so, no sex lately ArtSmart?

yeah, aint easy.

no pun intended.

VEN wrote: »
    hmmm Eden said 'we're all here for a reason" i'd have thought he/she meant the birds included. they've said nothing here about importance of one over the other?
    That was my point, no animal or clump of cells is more important than any other clump of cells.
    how could it highlight to an alien species how important we humans are if the aliens couldn't differentiate one cell from another??? sure we'd be all the same no?
    That's what I said, I don't know how you could read my post and end up at the polar opposite of what I said.

Posted by Eden3
    Keep heart ... we're all here for a reason

this is not suggesting anything at all to do with importance over another living thing, it didn't say "only us humans are here for a reason" but you come out of nowhere with:

That was my point, no animal or clump of cells is more important than any other clump of cells.

That's what I said, I don't know how you could read my post and end up at the polar opposite of what I said.

let me re-phrase it for you:

If you think of all life on earth as one big bunch of cells, everything blends into one. Imagine an alien species that couldn't differentiate one cell from another it would see earth in a totally different light and so therefore would not highlight the importance of humans over other species as we would all appear to them as one. To me that's logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Then why aren't you out sticking it to the man, robbing ferraris, etc?

• Advertisement

this is not suggesting anything at all to do with importance over another living thing, it didn't say "only us humans are here for a reason" but you come out of nowhere with:
    Humans are no more important in the greater ecosystem, the only reason we would think humans are important is because we're humans.

If you think of all life on earth as one big bunch of cells, everything blends into one. Imagine an alien species that couldn't differentiate one cell from another it would see earth in a totally different light and so therefore would not highlight the importance of humans over other species as we would all appear to them as one. To me that's logic.
    I see, I left out a word in my original post.

so, no sex lately ArtSmart?

yeah, aint easy.

no pun intended.

wow. it's like I'm reading my own post or something. like day jar vu dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

you've 2 options:

be miserable and die
    enjoy yourself and die

either way, you die at the end, so why not go for the better option

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Dude,

The only purpose in living is the orgasm. End of story. Top yourself and that's the end of that.

**** everyday or shag everyday or **** AND shag everyday.
    That's the only point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Just have fun OP. Lots of fun.
    Fill your life with things you enjoy and don't put anything on the backburner if you can do it today.
    Looks like what comes next is a whole load of nuffin.
    Use the time you have wisely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement