Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Project

Options
  • 16-08-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I'm going into Leaving Cert year after summer and my history teacher has told my class that we have to have our history project topics known. I spoke to him about the ideas I had before the end of the year but none of them were great until I got to the idea of doing a project about Marilyn Monroe as I'm reading her biography at the minute and have a huge interest in her. My teacher suggested doing a project on her death and whether she had been murdered by the government but I'm not sure as it's just a conspiracy theory.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any better ideas of what could be done for the project using Marilyn Monroe,her life is so interesting and I would love to do the project on her I just need to be pinpoint one area or something that I could do about her.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I would always recommend doing a very unusual topic... something that will catch the examiners eye.

I did the 1st Crusade... I have never heard of anyone else doing it.
    Still I only got a B2... so shows what i know. ( didn't even get to start the India 40 marker :( Me ran out of time. )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Chief Examiner's Report says they want local and specific topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I done conspiracy theories about the assassination of JFK. Got an A1, so i must have got high marks for it, so it doesn't have to be local. Topics like the flying columns or anything like that has been done to death. To do specific local topics is hard, as it is near impossible to get 3 proper different sources. Something interesting and eyecatching would be more pleasant for the examiner going through 20 of them a day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They are sick of Nazis and anything to do with them, JFK, MLK, Malcolm X, Rosa Parks, Bloody Sunday - all those sort of topics that people think 'nobody will do' when in fact thousands do them.

Of course it's possible to get a high mark on any topic, depending on how you write your essay, but the difficulty in finding sources is part of the exercise and you have much more of a chance of finding primary sources for a local topic than for something removed by thousands of miles and decades.

The examiner isn't interested in pleasant or eyecatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tweniebaby

I would avoid doing a project on something local, I did it (at my teacher's insistence) and it was the most horrendous experience and only got a C2 when I had been in the B2-A2 region so I blame the project.

I also have a big interest in Marilyn Monroe, and personally I would be writing about her death/conspiracy theory. You don't mention the book you're reading but I read Anthony Summers book which I would highly recommend if you choose to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

I have done my project (back in 2006 when the Research Study was introduced) on the role played by different organisation in the Consul conspiracy (murder of walter Rathenau). There are two views to it (one seeing him as last victim of the second reich or the first of the third reich), so I had plenty to write about. My teacher was really happy about it back then and I got an A1 in HL History in the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

I got an A2 in History with a project on the Bay of Pigs invasion. Funny thing is, I only decided to do it when I couldn't find a book on prohibition in the Easons in town, so I just grabbed the Bay of Pigs book on a complete whim. It turned out to be very interesting!

My teacher used to recommend NOT doing projects on celebrities or anything. They're not "historically relevant." If I were you OP, I would reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

I did mine on Rasputin last year, and clearly did well on my project because I barely started the last essay in the exam (worth 20%) and got a B :)

It was interesting, and barely anyone knows about him, despite being a large factor in the fall of the Tsars. Lots of rumours and legends, so my teacher pointed out that you would get marks for pointing out fact and fiction.

Local history projects are good if you can get sources, sadly most local history topics tend to be the hardest to research.

I agree with what's said above, stay away from celebrities unless they were revolutionary leaders or presidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I did The Louisiana Purchase ! The teacher gave me 99% and I got an A1 ! Just don't pick anything really obvious thats overdone every year !

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

To do specific local topics is hard, as it is near impossible to get 3 proper different sources.
    Yes, it can be a bit difficult. Which is why if you do a local history project *well*, it tends to score highly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The hammers

Done mine on Rudolf Hess and his flight to England. Really interesting, easy to do and something that not many people know about. Got an A1 so the project must of been good! Would recommend other to do theirs on it. ]
    A good project is vital if your going for a good grade but its not hard to get right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nelly22

sorry this was so long ago but what sources did you use? especially primary

Advertisement