Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

appeals dramatic increase in points

• 16-08-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

I have just repeated my Leaving Cert and I have done worse than last year by 15 points.
    I need to increase 20 points in the appeals process to get an improvement in results .
    Have any of you increased by 20 points or more in the appeals process ?
    A reply would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I'm in the same bandwagon as you.. need 20 points.
    I'm viewing buisness, economics & Geography.
    Buisness will be remarked and more than likely economics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I know someone who went up 25 points, but that was over a few subjects - it's possible :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In all honesty, such dramatic increases don't happen too often though ...

I'm going to say this a lot over the next few days, as every year, but ...

Arrange to VIEW any papers in which you're disappointed with the result / feel you did better than your mark suggests in the company of an *experienced examiner* in the subject if at all possible ... this might be your own teacher or another teacher from the school, or even a family friend.

This will give you a much better idea of whether you should appeal or not, and, indeed, what possible gains might be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Justin10

I knew someone who got a D in the results. Went to view the paper and it had a B on it :eek:

All mine where fine and didn't see the point in getting them rechecked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I knew someone who got a D in the results. Went to view the paper and it had a B on it :eek:

All mine where fine and didn't see the point in getting them rechecked.

I'm not sure how that happened, as when a corrector is transferring the mark from the script to the results sheet (for entry to the computers in Athlone) he/she enters a figure, not a grade.

By far the most common error would be in the totting of the marks. Again, if the examiner sticks to the correct procedure, marks are transferred from the individual answers, not the box on the front of the booklet. However, as in all areas of life, you get people who think they know a quicker/easier way and that's where errors happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement