Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bizarre stuff placed outside peoples homes and gardens.

• 17-08-2012 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

Just been thinking of the 'dummy house' on the N7

I'm sure the rest of you frequent commuters know the bungalow in question?

In the dIirection of Dublin, shortly before the Rathcoole turnoff?

The owners clearly have a sense of humour.

In the past few years I've seen the following around that house.

'moving' geese, that are seemingly made of stone or something. (i thought they were real for a good few months lol)
    Mannequin's with high vis vests, randomly positioned around the field/garden.
    Cardboard cut-outs of peoples heads (possibly politicians?) Again, moved randomly from day to day.
    Inflatable pink flamingoes tied to the chimney/TV Aeriel.
    During the recent Euro's they had the mannequins on the roof of the house, some wearing Ireland Jerseys waving tricolours, some seemed to have mohicans glued to their Heads?
    The latest addition seems to be a stuffed polar bear wearing a kilt, plonked in the middle of the field with fake boobs tied to it lol.:D

Also, i often drive past a bungalow in county Carlow, between Bagenalstown and Bunclody that has about a thousand different wind ornaments in the garden.

Any other weird garden ornaments or paraphernalia spotted on your travels?

Ps, I'd post pics of the house on naas road, but unsure if mods would ok it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A house on the road from Ballyhale into Thomastown used to have a Totem pole in the garden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Was working in a rough part of Athlone a few years ago where the ideal garden furniture was a starved looking piebald pony tied to a rusty fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

kfallon wrote: »
    A house on the road from Ballyhale into Thomastown used to have a Totem pole in the garden

I seen that once.

Got out of the car to take a better look.

Left my injun running.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Someone going for a kip!

Or a sh*te

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Someone going for a kip!

Or a sh*te

Yeah sorry about that, couldn't get the key in the door quick enough :o

• Advertisement

A house in Brixton with a tank (yes, an army tank) parked in the driveway, painted pink with models of pigs wearing police uniforms on top of it.

The house in the OP has been at it again last night lol.....

2 dummies at the gate, one looks like its shouting into the others ear.
    Polar bear disappeared, kilt has now been placed on a seperate dummy.

If a mod oks it (dont know if I'm allowed to post pics of a persons home)
    I'll get some photos put up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's a house nearby where I live and the garden is full of random statues and other stuff. I'll get some pics in a little while and post them up. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's fcuking mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I want to see pics. Please mods, purleeeeease ???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

A garden in my town has a cannon flanked by two life size model soldiers.

Its a nice property but the crass feature spoils it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

House in Co.Wexford (won't name the exact place) that looks like somebody emptied a skip full of stuff from Lourdes in the garden.The inside of the house is worse,statues & holy pictures everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Is Flagman still doing this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCyMWnaf7IY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

One of them huge cornetto plastic cones they have outside shops planted on a neighbours front garden. An elderly couple lived there. Must have been drunks who put it there.
    However the nearest shop it could have come from was a good kilometre away and this thing was heavy

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Ghandee wrote: »
    Just been thinking of the 'dummy house' on the N7

I'm sure the rest of you frequent commuters know the bungalow in question?

In the dIirection of Dublin, shortly before the Rathcoole turnoff?

The owners clearly have a sense of humour.

In the past few years I've seen the following around that house.

'moving' geese, that are seemingly made of stone or something. (i thought they were real for a good few months lol)
    Mannequin's with high vis vests, randomly positioned around the field/garden.
    Cardboard cut-outs of peoples heads (possibly politicians?) Again, moved randomly from day to day.
    Inflatable pink flamingoes tied to the chimney/TV Aeriel.
    During the recent Euro's they had the mannequins on the roof of the house, some wearing Ireland Jerseys waving tricolours, some seemed to have mohicans glued to their Heads?
    The latest addition seems to be a stuffed polar bear wearing a kilt, plonked in the middle of the field with fake boobs tied to it lol.:D

Also, i often drive past a bungalow in county Carlow, between Bagenalstown and Bunclody that has about a thousand different wind ornaments in the garden.

Any other weird garden ornaments or paraphernalia spotted on your travels?

Ps, I'd post pics of the house on naas road, but unsure if mods would ok it.

That house is brilliant. I often wonder how many people have actually spotted it. Didn't he have some sightseers on the roof when the Queen was arriving too? That must have raised a few security eyebrows.

BuzzFish wrote: »
    That house is brilliant. I often wonder how many people have actually spotted it. Didn't he have some sightseers on the roof when the Queen was arriving too? That must have raised a few security eyebrows.

Can you put a google streetview link in of this place?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I love that house on the drive to Dublin. Surely noone can have missed it when driving that road. Then again look what drivers miss on the road, nevermind beside the road.

Still tho, great humour from whoever lives there.

There is a house on the N84 or R334 around Ballinrobe or Headford with a timber castle maybe 1.5m x 1.5m x 2m with a moat dug around it and a bridge over the moat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

There's somebody who lives near my parent's house with a granite wall with two turret-like structures either side of the gate, and a big stone sculpture of a sabretooth tiger beside their door. Pretty strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

BuzzFish wrote: »

Pass it every morning. Would love to know the story behind it to be honest! Obviously people with a sense of humour.

Blogger50 wrote: »
    Pass it every morning. Would love to know the story behind it to be honest! Obviously people with a sense of humour.

I think its brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I pass this spot every few weeks and have no idea what you're talking about. Please elaborate!

Had a quick look on google street view and all and still can't spot anything. IIRC, if its in a public place, you're free to publish a picture? And surely these people aren't putting these ornaments up if they didn't want anybody to see them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's a house not far from mine that has huge wooden dinosaurs in the field beside their garden.

They're cool, in an odd kind of way...

Link: http://maps.google.ie/?ll=54.165851,-8.625984&spn=0.005207,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=54.165831,-8.626166&panoid=4cMWfp6VvVOK_dx5vBQG8Q&cbp=12,354.8,,0,-5.01

Pics as promised. I feel a bit guilty for finding it funny now though. The auld fella that owns the house was out in the garden when I went to take pictures and he was delighted that someone had taken an interest in his ornaments :o A real nice old man he is. He said he crafted many of the statues himself so fair play to him.. and he had no problem with me taking or sharing the pictures.

one_2.jpg
    two_1.jpg
    three_1.jpg
    four_1.jpg
    five.jpg

And the pièce de résistance.. the Virgin Mary with a gorilla on a chain. I'm guessing there's a point in there somewhere!

six.jpg

You could spend hours in that garden looking around. Love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

some madman put up a cross...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That statue garden is epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

That statue garden is epic!
    Must be a nightmare to mow the lawn though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭Blogger50

Pics as promised.
    QUOTE]

Cool! Very random but cool none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

This weirdo in Kilkenny has his garden full of Elvis paraphernalia and gnomes dressed as Elvis. He's always dressed as Elvis too.

A neighbor of mine has his house pebbledashed in sea shells and at christmas has enough lights on the house to see it from space. He's also the owner of the worlds worst comb-over, it's like a wet rat slapped across his head.

• Advertisement

This weirdo in Kilkenny has his garden full of Elvis paraphernalia and gnomes dressed as Elvis. He's always dressed as Elvis too.

A neighbor of mine has his house pebbledashed in sea shells and at christmas has enough lights on the house to see it from space. He's also the owner of the worlds worst comb-over, it's like a wet rat slapped across his head.

Pictures !!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'm gonna take a leap and say he's an Elvis impersonator

And don't even mention cleaning the bird shite off them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Here is a 25ft shark sticking out of the roof of a house in Oxford,UK

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Here is a 25ft shark sticking out of the roof of a house in Oxford,UK

Jasus that MUST of been taken down by now? That couldnt be still up in an old red brick terraced estate is it???? Have to google street view that

http://maps.google.ie/?ll=54.165851,-8.625984&spn=0.005207,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=54.165831,-8.626166&panoid=4cMWfp6VvVOK_dx5vBQG8Q&cbp=12,354.8,,0,-5.01

i cant see it now

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Can you put a google streetview link in of this place?

This is the house but it seems that he was away the day the streetview car drove by... so this is just for reference so you know where to look out::

http://goo.gl/maps/OGaHd

• Advertisement

^^^ I have no idea what I'm looking at :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Jasus that MUST of been taken down by now? That couldnt be still up in an old red brick terraced estate is it???? Have to google street view that

http://maps.google.ie/?ll=54.165851,-8.625984&spn=0.005207,0.009645&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=54.165831,-8.626166&panoid=4cMWfp6VvVOK_dx5vBQG8Q&cbp=12,354.8,,0,-5.01

i cant see it now

Here is an article about the shark's 26th birthday dated 9Aug2012

edit: Can't see much of the house when Google Streetview was passing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Here's one in Kilkenny. I wont say any more about the guy who lives inside.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3281/2815057008_76ec2d8ec2_z.jpg

Edit: I see somebody has already mentioned him. Posted pics anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I know of one house with a lifesize Elvis manequin on a stool playing a gutar... And another with a bathtub on the lawn and a toilet up on the pier of the gate, its just bizzar looking as they sometimes have flowers planted in them..

bbam wrote: »
    I know of one house with a lifesize Elvis manequin on a stool playing a gutar...
    We have one in our office!

It has been known to startle visitors and scare small children.

• Advertisement

I'll take some pics and upload them later this evening so, just so you folk not familiar with the road know what we're on about :D

As previous posters have said, the owners must be a right laugh lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

kfallon wrote: »

I remember that:D

Used to travel up and down to Dublin a lot 12 years ago, before the motorway. There was this house somewhere along the way, a little back off the road, that had a figure of a man waving at it's gate. At Christmas it was dressed like Santa, it was mad:D. I was gutted when I saw they'd taken it down..

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

Borris Post office had a jacuzzi outside it yesterday.

TAXPAYERS had to shell out €25,000 to cover the cost of a one-day fair dating back to the 16th Century.

While local authorities around the country are facing huge cuts in government funding to make up for the shortfall in the collection of the household charge, Carlow County Council had to pay out thousands to clean up after the Borris Fair, one of annual highlights of the Travellers' social calendar.

Council workers were out in force at 6am yesterday to ensure there were no complaints from residents about rubbish strewn along the Main Street.

Early risers were greeted with a jacuzzi dumped outside the post office, as well as televisions, vacuum cleaners and mattresses strewn along the street.

- Eimear Ni Bhraonain

Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

A pub in Kerry has a barrel with legs sticking out - as if a drunk just fell in. Inside, the men's toilets is a converted bath

:eek:

I never even thought of that.. How the hell would he manage it? He's 84 so I doubt he moves everything when the grass needs cutting.. and the lawn is perfectly trimmed all round the garden.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A similar house (on a smaller scale) on the Ballyboden Road Rathfarnham here. I do recall he used to have more stuff than that, even had a phonebox in it at one point I think!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not necessarily a garden, but surely that wall heading south on the N11 just after Sugarloaf (I think) that always updated has political messages counts? Any frequent commuters from Dublin to Wexford have surely seen it

Advertisement