Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for a friend

Options
  • 17-08-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

So my friend has never really done any reading aside from studying in her life. We've had multiple arguments over it and she just says that its stupid and she cant see the point but she also knows she could be missing out.

Finally I've convinced her that if I can get a book which meets all of her criteria, she'll give it a fair go. Unfortunately nearly all of the books I own violate one of her criteria so I'm going to look further afield for suggestions.

I'd appreciate the help

Her Criteria
    1.None of the main characters can be female, even if they're not "girly" but tough. Even having 1 male and 1 female main character is too much (dont ask >_>)

2.Fantasy/Ficton genre

3.NOT a heavy read (like how Game of Thrones/Lord of the Rings is heavy)

4.Little or no romance (definitely no sex scenes, she says)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Her Criteria
    1.None of the main characters can be female, even if they're not "girly" but tough. Even having 1 male and 1 female main character is too much (dont ask >_>)

2.Fantasy/Ficton genre

Thanks!

The no female main character is a tough one,and most fantasy has a "little romance/sex".

She could try Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawerence If she has a dark sense of Humour:D

She could try "The Drawing of the Dark" by Tim Powers.It's a top notch read.Can't remember a female character in that.

As regards "NOT a heavy read" ,David Gemmell would be my pick.Great fantasy ,and very easy to read.Can't remember them all ,but I think there might be a couple without a "main female character".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

So my friend has never really done any reading aside from studying in her life. We've had multiple arguments over it and she just says that its stupid and she cant see the point but she also knows she could be missing out.

Finally I've convinced her that if I can get a book which meets all of her criteria, she'll give it a fair go. Unfortunately nearly all of the books I own violate one of her criteria so I'm going to look further afield for suggestions.

I'd appreciate the help

Her Criteria

2.Fantasy/Ficton genre

Thanks!

The Bible matches all criterea :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Foundation perhaps? I can't recall any female main characters of note in the first book or Ender depending if she wants empire or personal growth.

Other potentials are Childhood's end or Cat's cradle (some female characters but I don't think the "love" scenes will upset her) in the Sci fi list. For fantasy I'm drawing blanks, there's usually some love story in most books that I can think of.

What about a Stephen King book, something like "The Green Mile" or "The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger".
    Might be an easier recommendation because you could mention some of the films which are based on his books eg "The Shawshank Redemption", "Carrie" or "The Mist".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

PG Wodehouse stories, maybe? Does she watch TV, and if so, what programmes does she like?

But if she doesn't want to read, leave the poor woman alone. It's her mind, if she likes to keep it nice and empty that's her right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Bonita810

Hi.
    Mayby she would like
    - Carlos Ruiz Zafón "The Shadow of the wind"
    - or John Grisham "The Firm"
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

City of Thieves? Not Fantasy and slight bit of romance but not hugely so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Her Criteria

2.Fantasy/Ficton genre

No Country For Old Men? I chose that one as she may be more open to it if she knows it's a film (or even if she's seen it). McCarthy rarely has women in his books, and in this one at least, there are no women in the main roles. It's fiction, and it's not a heavy read at all. Little or no romance too, definitely no sex scenes from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

The Sisters Brothers. A great read and I think it fits the criteria.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Life of Pi
    Day of the Triffids (a little romance, but not a central theme)
    Count of Monte Cristo (might be too heavy for her though)
    Watership Down
    100 Year of Solitude

Some, off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement