Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enterring Maths

• 17-08-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Ok, I got A's in Maths and Applied Maths and 580pts so I think I've done enough to get into the Maths course:)

3 questions.

1) Should I be doing anything to prepare for the course? I haven't looked at anything since finishing the l.c and don't want to be slow when the course starts.

2) Are there many books needed for the course or are laptops/eReaders in use?

3) Anyone got any tips for which modules are best to take?

Thanks for any replies :)

CB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm a theoretical physics student going into second year, so we took 2/3 of the maths modules. (Didn't do stats, computation I or group theory)

You don't really need to do any work before going into it. Especially if you got A's in matha and applied. They'll assume that you know how to do basic algebra, how to differentiate and integrate, a bit about complex numbers perhaps, but never too much that you'll needed to have studied before covering anything. All of the modules start from scratch, and as long as you keep up with everything being done in the lectures you won't be behind at all, in fact if you keep up with everything during the year you'll find studying toward the end of the year not that difficult at all.

The library is good enough for the books that you'll need. I bought two of the books for the year and didn't really need them. Some lecturers such as Pete (Dr. Paschalis Karageorgis) give such comprehensive lectures that you might not even need to use a book at all for that module. Although you still need to go the lectures... A laptop is handy to have, but by no means necessary, as anything which you might need to do on a computer can be done with the the college's of which there's quite a lot around. I only really used my laptop to access exam papers, and that was just before exams.

Unfortunately as I'd no choice myself I wouldn't really know about which modules are best to pick. If you're at all interested in physics though, I believe not picking mechanics can be very limiting in what modules you can do in 3rd and 4th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

CB93 wrote: »
    Ok, I got A's in Maths and Applied Maths and 580pts so I think I've done enough to get into the Maths course:)

3 questions.

1) Should I be doing anything to prepare for the course? I haven't looked at anything since finishing the l.c and don't want to be slow when the course starts.

2) Are there many books needed for the course or are laptops/eReaders in use?

3) Anyone got any tips for which modules are best to take?

Thanks for any replies :)

CB
    1) Not really, no.
    2) Not many books, you shouldn't need to buy any, lecturers generally have notes, or you are expected to take them.
    3) You take all courses initially, unless it's changed. So you can decide for yourself really.

Source: Entering 3rd year Maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭Tears in Rain

What's the story...

Going into 3rd year TP and yeah, I'll pretty much confirm what the other two said, books are unnecessary. Only reason you'll need to prepare would be if you took Project Maths (and no Applied Maths), but if that's the case you're probably a lost cause anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

What's the story...

Going into 3rd year TP and yeah, I'll pretty much confirm what the other two said, books are unnecessary. Only reason you'll need to prepare would be if you took Project Maths (and no Applied Maths), but if that's the case you're probably a lost cause anyway.

Unlikely. They don't assume any knowledge, and having spoken to Donal about it a while back, they won't next year, either. Don't be frightening the first years.

Unlikely. They don't assume any knowledge, and having spoken to Donal about it a while back, they won't next year, either. Don't be frightening the first years.

Either way it's worrying...

Have you seen how little they do in Project Maths? They don't even cover integral calculus...assuming what you say is correct then either:

a) They will dumb-down the course so that incoming PM'ers will find it subjectively as difficult as we did, but the course will cover less.

or

b) They will require extra ramp up material, like integral calculus, to bring incoming PM'ers up to the same level as previous LC students, in addition to the same material we already cover. This will make the course subjectively harder for new students, leading to a higher rate of failures and pressure to dumb-down the course.

Obviously either of these things are bad.

If what you say is not correct (not to accuse of lying, but just to show that either way it's a lose/lose situation), then:

c) The course will be the exact same as before. This will make the course subjectively harder for new students, leading to a higher rate of failures and pressure to dumb-down the course.

Ugh, Project Maths is so bent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Have you seen how little they do in Project Maths? They don't even cover integral calculus

Pretty harsh of them to put it on the exam if it's not on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

We covered integral and differential calculus quite extensively actually, better recheck your sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Sheedy07

EmmetOT wrote: »
    We covered integral and differential calculus quite extensively actually, better recheck your sources.

Yes our paper one never changed its those poor fellows that are doing the lc next year that are f*cked

Oh...must have made a mistake...I thought they'd gotten rid of integral calculus entirely from the Project Maths course, it was my impression from going through the papers :|

Sorry if I made a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CB93

I think we're ok for this year as we only did project maths for paper 2, we did the old paper 1 - calculus, algebra, induction etc (the important stuff!).

However the pilot schools would have done the new paper 1 and everyone will be doing it next year. I think these will face the fate mentioned by Tears in Rain.

Integral calculus is not being removed from the project maths but, like the rest of the course, it has been 'dumbed down', I think they have removed u-subs etc.

Thanks for the replies,
    1 more question: Are lockers necessary and how do you get them?

• Advertisement

I think we're ok for this year as we only did project maths for paper 2, we did the old paper 1 - calculus, algebra, induction etc (the important stuff!).

However the pilot schools would have done the new paper 1 and everyone will be doing it next year. I think these will face the fate mentioned by Tears in Rain.

Integral calculus is not being removed from the project maths but, like the rest of the course, it has been 'dumbed down', I think they have removed u-subs etc.

Thanks for the replies,
    1 more question: Are lockers necessary and how do you get them?

Lockers aren't necessary but they can be pretty handy, bear in mind that they're pretty small, not big enough to fit the average sports bag into.

Lockers go on offer on the first day of lectures, you get an application form form from the security desk in the Arts Block, usually there's a massive queue from like 7 in the morning or earlier for this.

You can apply for a locker in the Arts Block, Hamilton, Lloyd or Panoz buildings. I think the Lloyd and Panoz are less desirable since they aren't 24h like the Hamilton is, and I think there's a few larger lockers on offer in the Arts Block.

In general, demand outstrips supply by quite a bit, hence the early morning queues, but I think they installed quite a few more lockers in the Hamilton this year if anyone can confirm...

Lockers aren't necessary but they can be pretty handy, bear in mind that they're pretty small, not big enough to fit the average sports bag into.

Lockers go on offer on the first day of lectures, you get an application form form from the security desk in the Arts Block, usually there's a massive queue from like 7 in the morning or earlier for this.

You can apply for a locker in the Arts Block, Hamilton, Lloyd or Panoz buildings. I think the Lloyd and Panoz are less desirable since they aren't 24h like the Hamilton is, and I think there's a few larger lockers on offer in the Arts Block.

In general, demand outstrips supply by quite a bit, hence the early morning queues, but I think they installed quite a few more lockers in the Hamilton this year if anyone can confirm...

Oh, had hoped that they would be big enough for a sports bag. Are there lockers in the sports centre that you could leave your gym bag in all day or are they just for use while you're in the centre?

Would I be right in saying that most maths lecture would be in the Hamilton or surrounding buildings? These might be the best lockers to go for.

Oh, had hoped that they would be big enough for a sports bag. Are there lockers in the sports centre that you could leave your gym bag in all day or are they just for use while you're in the centre?

Would I be right in saying that most maths lecture would be in the Hamilton or surrounding buildings? These might be the best lockers to go for.

I think there might be a couple big ones in the Arts Block but I dunno what the story is, it's probably not worth it...uh, the Sports Centre definitely has a ton of lockers just upstairs, I dunno what the official policy is about leaving stuff in them all day, but I'm pretty sure it's all right, only thing is as far as I know you can't leave stuff there overnight. Someone else will have to confirm..

And yeah, all your lectures are going to be in the Hamilton

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cian59

I think there might be a couple big ones in the Arts Block but I dunno what the story is, it's probably not worth it...uh, the Sports Centre definitely has a ton of lockers just upstairs, I dunno what the official policy is about leaving stuff in them all day, but I'm pretty sure it's all right, only thing is as far as I know you can't leave stuff there overnight. Someone else will have to confirm..

Yeah, you're not supposed to leave items in the locker when you're not using the sports centre but who knows whether you're in the sports centre or not. It's ok.
    Most lectures will be in the Hamilton however you may have a few tutorials in surrounding buildings. If you're going to get a locker, get one in the Hamilton and be prepared to get to college quite early on the morning that they become available.
    Books aren't needed but can be helpful. Even better, you can find free online copies of (most of) the books online. Saves you going to library. Computers are good for checking exam papers, emails, maths websites and research but with regard to in-class, they're a bit of a pain trying to transcribe maths. Better with a pen and paper.

Thanks for all the help guys/girls, really appreciate it.

Was offered my place today so am delighted and can't wait to start. Just need to sort out accommodation now.

Looking forward to meeting all you guys, I'll know nobody which will be interesting :P.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Phil92

Cian59 wrote: »
    Books aren't needed but can be helpful. Even better, you can find free online copies of (most of) the books online. Saves you going to library. Computers are good for checking exam papers, emails, maths websites and research but with regard to in-class, they're a bit of a pain trying to transcribe maths. Better with a pen and paper.

While you can find some of the books online, I found it to be a real pain. A shame that the library doesn't have a decent e-book system set up. And I've seen some people using tablets for note taking, and they perform really well, even with all the symbols and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Not 100% true for pure maths people. A few (like 1 or 2) tend to be in the museum building. Besides, don't forget we had Methods 2 in the lloyd building as well. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

Not 100% true for pure maths people. A few (like 1 or 2) tend to be in the museum building. Besides, don't forget we had Methods 2 in the lloyd building as well. :p

Stats last year was in the museum building for first years once a week, as well as a few tutorials for other stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Stats last year was in the museum building for first years once a week, as well as a few tutorials for other stuff :)

And you can't forget the beloved Analysis 2 lectures in the Chem building :D

• Advertisement

Ash_M wrote: »
    And you can't forget the beloved Analysis 2 lectures in the Chem building :D

Good times! :P. Or our tutorial in the physics building for analyis 1 or the random class in the Moyne institute that one week.

Donal was a legend, shame he's gone :P

Good times! :P. Or our tutorial in the physics building for analyis 1 or the random class in the Moyne institute that one week.

Donal was a legend, shame he's gone :P

Donal just wanted to make sure that we appreciated the fine architecture of as many science-end buildings as possible. :P Then Timoney took things to a new level with the nearly-Arts-end Museum. Wonderful.

Ash_M wrote: »
    Donal just wanted to make sure that we appreciated the fine architecture of as many science-end buildings as possible. :P Then Timoney took things to a new level with the nearly-Arts-end Museum. Wonderful.

Oh, how could I forget Pete's random tutorials in the Thomas Davis :P. He wanted the pure maths/tps to see how the other side live :P

Oh, how could I forget Pete's random tutorials in the Thomas Davis :P. He wanted the pure maths/tps to see how the other side live :P

I was all like bitchez, this is ma house.

(Except we had like Theories of Lit in that lecture hall, and I never really went to that.. But English happened in there, so I claimed it for my own.)

Hey guys sorry to come in mid conversation, I accepted tp on Monday and was just wondering roughly how many hours a week should I expect, thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

~21 hours including labs and tutorials.

is that 21 hours for physics lectures only or both physics and maths :D, thanks by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

From what I recall, 21 hours in total back when I was in first year. They've changed a few modules in Maths since so I don't know if it'll be the same but expect something around that.

thanks very much :D, was expecting a lot more to be honest so thats great :D, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Phil92

Fringe wrote: »
    From what I recall, 21 hours in total back when I was in first year. They've changed a few modules in Maths since so I don't know if it'll be the same but expect something around that.

Just got out of first year, possibly a couple hours more than this. But of course, that only applies if you actually go to all of them :D

Anyone know where I could find a timetable for this year's maths course? If it's not available yet does any of you know where I could see a copy of last years so I can have an idea of hours etc?

CB

Ya also if anyone had a copy of last years tp timetable would they please post it or pm it to me please, thanks :-)

Anyone know where I could find a timetable for this year's maths course? If it's not available yet does any of you know where I could see a copy of last years so I can have an idea of hours etc?

CB

It'll look something like this. There's very little change from year to year. Btw you wont have all of these hours, some are group tutorials and all are listed so you might only have one per module a week. TP maths also looks like this.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/timetable/ttjf.html

@Maybe_Memories Ya i found the tp one from the link you gave, thanks :-D

It'll look something like this. There's very little change from year to year. Btw you wont have all of these hours, some are group tutorials and all are listed so you might only have one per module a week. TP maths also looks like this.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/timetable/ttjf.html

Thanks for that, very helpful. Btw do you know which are tutorials? All the classes add up to about 30hrs, how many of these will I not be doing? Will it bring me down to like 25hrs or less?

Late start on Monday mornings is handy but late Friday evenings could be annoying for bus home. :mad:

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, very helpful. Btw do you know which are tutorials? All the classes add up to about 30hrs, how many of these will I not be doing? Will it bring me down to like 25hrs or less?

Late start on Monday mornings is handy but late Friday evenings could be annoying for bus home. :mad:

Keep in mind this is the second term timetable so you will have already ditched either mechanics, computation or stats, so first term will have 3 extra hours.

In general a module will have 3 hours a week including a tutorial. Some tutorials might only be every second week so every other week a lecture will be in its place.

If you dropped computation say, and you had the above timetable, I'd say about 21 hours. A tutorial is anything with a t at the end, and that last tutorial on a Friday could be switched to another if you just email the lecturer.

Also the things at 9 and 11 on Tuesday are not compulsory. They're the maths help room sessions and you can just go in if you're having trouble with a question or whatever. In the past two years I've never been to any of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Also the things at 9 and 11 on Tuesday are not compulsory. They're the maths help room sessions and you can just go in if you're having trouble with a question or whatever. In the past two years I've never been to any of these.
    Okay, so maybe there are special maths helprooms for first years that I'm not aware of (which seems unlikely given I've been doing helprooms for 2 years now), but generally the maths helproom is either at 12pm or 1pm and on every week day, and doesn't show up on the timetable. Unless things have changed from when I was in first year (likely, due to it being 4 years ago now) that class you see is a "Problem Solving in Maths" thing which was indeed 'optional' (ie not graded) but was not The Maths Helproom.

Also, in response to CB93/more clarification about timetable: that timetable shows all the tutorial slots, but you won't have to go to all of those. One tutorial per class per week is the maximum you should expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Well I might as well go ahead and admit it. I'm a pilot schooler entering into TP.

Though I've done integration in applied maths, will I be okay?

Only thing I'm worried about not doing is matrices. I'll probably try looking at some things online to get the gist of them.

Last year Pete did matrices from scratch for the benefit of pilot school people, and Donal did the same for integration. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll catch up in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Okay, so maybe there are special maths helprooms for first years that I'm not aware of (which seems unlikely given I've been doing helprooms for 2 years now), but generally the maths helproom is either at 12pm or 1pm and on every week day, and doesn't show up on the timetable. Unless things have changed from when I was in first year (likely, due to it being 4 years ago now) that class you see is a "Problem Solving in Maths" thing which was indeed 'optional' (ie not graded) but was not The Maths Helproom.

Also, in response to CB93/more clarification about timetable: that timetable shows all the tutorial slots, but you won't have to go to all of those. One tutorial per class per week is the maximum you should expect.

Yes, those slots are the "Problem Solving" courses. There's no grade for them, but they're designed to help with the change from school maths to college maths. They are a supplement, of sorts, to the more abstract courses that you do in first year, Algebra (both linear and modern) and Analysis.

I'd recommend going to them, because while it seems to easy and natural when the lecturer is doing these problems on the board, it's trickier when you sit down to do them yourself. Also, don't get discouraged if you find some of the problems tricky to begin with, it gets easier the more you practice attempting problems yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement