Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentistry points 2012

• 17-08-2012 1:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just curious what others think the points will be for dentistry this year in UCC and Trinity. Medicine is my first choice but not sure if I'll get it so I'm really hoping I'll get dent if I don't get med.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I don't know if applications are up or down so assuming they're the same, points should be similar, but with the bonus points for maths. I reckon that most people getting those points will have honours maths, so it could go up by about 15 for each? It's really hard to know exactly, but they'll definitely go up!

I'm not sure that there's ever been a course worth 600 points or over... This could potentially be it! :P

Best of luck! I was in the very same position last year :P

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Based on the fact that the number of applicants hasn't gone up much since last year and taking into consideration that maybe not everyone, although almost everyone applying to dentistry has hl maths, I'd have to go with 595 although I wouldn't be surprised if it was more.

Chances of it being less are slim, although I really hope it is, that being said I'm always pessimistic, either way good luck

applicant statistics may be found on cao.ie - intresting to note that in 2010 there was almost 200 more applicants than usual, meaning that entry was 580 with a star, add on 25 and that's probably the highest it's going to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

Thanks for replying guys I have 590 so I'll just have to sweat it out until Monday!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Can the course really go above 600 though? That automatically disqualifies anyone who studied pass maths and since HL maths isn't a requirement I can't see how they would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭It neny!

Ally7 wrote: »
    Can the course really go above 600 though? That automatically disqualifies anyone who studied pass maths and since HL maths isn't a requirement I can't see how they would do that.

But if there are more people (that want to do dentistry) who got over 600 points than the amount of places available in the college, they would be forced to, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

600 with an asterisk beside it perhaps? Let's just hope it won't go higher than 595 anyway :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

It neny! wrote: »
    But if there are more people (that want to do dentistry) who got over 600 points than the amount of places available in the college, they would be forced to, right?

Ya, if there are 50 places and the 50th person has 605, then that's what the points will be.

I suppose you could say that a course needing 570 eliminates anyone who didn't do 6 honours. The points are determined by supply and demand, so if those who get it all had honours maths and therefore over 600, then that's what you need to do to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hi all, I'm an a level student from up north. I'll be applying for 2014. Just a quick query though I was told when I rang both TCD and UCC that I required 4A*'s and 3A*'s/1A respectively.

Given that:

A* =150
    A = 135
    B = 120
    etc...

Plus the 25 bonus points for just getting a grade E or above in Maths shouldn't I be requiring something 2A*2A or 3A*1A?

Can't believe when I rang TCD they said I needed a minimum of 4A* to be at least competitive. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Hi all, I'm an a level student from up north. I'll be applying for 2014. Just a quick query though I was told when I rang both TCD and UCC that I required 4A*'s and 3A*'s/1A respectively.

Given that:

A* =150
    A = 135
    B = 120
    etc...

Plus the 25 bonus points for just getting a grade E or above in Maths shouldn't I be requiring something 2A*2A or 3A*1A?

Can't believe when I rang TCD they said I needed a minimum of 4A* to be at least competitive. :eek:
    Well I don't really understand the British system, but if 4A* = 600, that should be enough; any less (i.e. 3A*1A) would be 585, which isn't sufficient. I've always thought that Irish applicants to UCAS and British applicants to the CAO have to do relatively better than their counterparts though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Well I don't really understand the British system, but if 4A* = 600, that should be enough; any less (i.e. 3A*1A) would be 585, which isn't sufficient. I've always thought that Irish applicants to UCAS and British applicants to the CAO have to do relatively better than their counterparts though...

Yeah but if you add on the maths bonus points isn't 4A* = 625? Then you subtract 15 each time then for a fall of an a level grade?

This is where I'm getting confused with the system in the south (so please forgive me I don't do it :o). I rang them way back in june so I could ring them again now to confirm but I don't want to p*ss them off as their probably busy right now dealing with "real" applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Yeah but if you add on the maths bonus points isn't 4A* = 625? Then you subtract 15 each time then for a fall of an a level grade?

This is where I'm getting confused with the system in the south (so please forgive me I don't do it :o). I rang them way back in june so I could ring them again now to confirm but I don't want to p*ss them off as their probably busy right now dealing with "real" applicants.
    Hmm, I think that might only be if maths is one of your A*s or if it's an A with 25 more (i.e. 160 points) - do you guys only count 4 subjects for our points? Because you could do maths as a fifth but the 25 points are added to the points given by your maths grade, not your overall points, if that makes sense :) But yeah if you got 4A*s, especially if one was maths, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get it.

Advertisement