Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staying home for college..

Options
  • 17-08-2012 3:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I don't think I will be able to move away for the first year of college.
    Will this ruin first year for me? In terms of having fun, and freedom?

Im not going to college to party, but my brothers who have gone said first year is when everyone goes out a lot and it doesn't really matter because the classes aren't that hard in 1st year.

Im probably going to end up having to take a bus.. sounds like chit. Not even looking forward to it now. Its pretty much the same as school again.. no freedom to go home whenever still have to get a damn bus at a certain time.

Still have to actually go home so that's gonna buzz kill a lot of things that could happen if i had an apartment.

Obviously there are pros to stay home, but there's no actual experience of the real world then, ill still be an ignorant child who doesn't know what its like to not have a washing machine or prepared meals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

As a person who stayed at home in 1st year, if I had the chance to move on campus or nearby, Id definitely would have moved out. You would make a lot of new friends very early on and college life would generally a lot more fun IMO.

The difficultly of 1st year is all relative to the course obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LLCoolConor

I don't have the choice to move out, but yeah that is what i was looking for, things that I might miss out on if i can't move out.

I hate being such a cave dweller, for all of school, hardly ever went out because i live in the middle of nowhere so missing out on being able to just make friends so easily with other college people in the same building is going to be bad for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Firstly - grow up a bit. I can literally hear 'it's so unfair' in your tone. What ever happened to Kevin and Perry?

Secondly - I live at home with my wife and the opportunities for getting p*ssed and other shenanigans have not been diluted by not living at college or just down the road from it. You'll make friends pretty quickly and if you're going home before the first bus in the morning you're doing it wrong.

School is very different from College - time to realise what a privilidge it is to go regardless of whether you have to live at home or not. Many lads I grew up with would have killed to have been able to go regardless of where they were living.

Now you've had the lecture - enjoy it - it will be epic.

EDIT Actually I'll continue the lecture - I'm sure your mammy wouldn't mind if you accationally washed your kecks or stuck a pizza in the oven!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Firstly - grow up a bit. I can literally hear 'it's so unfair' in your tone. What ever happened to Kevin and Perry?

Secondly - I live at home with my wife and the opportunities for getting p*ssed and other shenanigans have not been diluted by not living at college or just down the road from it. You'll make friends pretty quickly and if you're going home before the first bus in the morning you're doing it wrong.

School is very different from College - time to realise what a privilidge it is to go regardless of whether you have to live at home or not. Many lads I grew up with would have killed to have been able to go regardless of where they were living.

Now you've had the lecture - enjoy it - it will be epic.

EDIT Actually I'll continue the lecture - I'm sure your mammy wouldn't mind if you accationally washed your kecks or stuck a pizza in the oven!

Terrible post.

"many lads when I grew up", we're not living in your era. Get with the times.

College isn't about just going to learn, it's the experience.

OP, you can stay with friends or classmates a night a week and enjoy it :) You can have fun at home too :)

Prick! wrote: »
    Terrible post.

Great post points out all the flaws! :pac:

To address your edit - we are very much living in my times - I grew up during the 80s and 90s during a couple of terrible recessions. We're not in the Celtic Tiger any more get with the times dude.

Is dude still what the cool kids say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I suggest the OP go out and find a part time job to pay his rent so.... Poor diddums!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Terrible post.

"many lads when I grew up", we're not living in your era. Get with the times.

College isn't about just going to learn, it's the experience.

OP, you can stay with friends or classmates a night a week and enjoy it :) You can have fun at home too :)

Well, only about 7% of the entire world population has a third level qualification, so yes we are privileged to have the oportunity to go to college.

Neodymium wrote: »
    Well, only about 7% of the entire world population has a third level qualification, so yes we are privileged to have the oportunity to go to college.

So? Also what percentage of students in school go to college. Nevermind the world or different eras. Does it mean we're not allowed enjoy it?

So? Also what percentage of students in school go to college. Nevermind the world or different eras. Does it mean we're not allowed enjoy it?

You're quite clearly very immature (fair enough enjoy while it lasts) or a troll. Assuming the former - what do you suggest that the state goes beyond free 3rd level education and ensures that there is a big enough grant that student can get drunk at least three time a week? Okay to be fair in my experience that's two pints of fosters but it all adds up.

The OP's - and your - sense of entitlement is rather obvious. Get a part-time job or be thankful you're going to college even if the situation isn't ideal. Plenty of people in Ireland right now can't afford to go, let alone go and treat it as one massive piss-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

what percentage of students in school go to college?
    In Ireland, as of 2006 56% of school leavers progress onto further education. Maybe you should learn how to use google.

According to you Procastastudy should "get with the times", I was pointing out that we are in a privileged minority of the entire world population to have the opportunity to go to college, so perhaps you should "get with the times" and begin to realise the world that we live in.

Yes of course you are allowed to enjoy college I never said you could not. However, in Ireland you are entitled to a third level education if you can afford the fees or if you qualify for a grant. You are entitled to education, not to enjoy yourself. For you to 'enjoy' yourself is not the responsibility of the government.

• Advertisement

You're quite clearly very immature (fair enough enjoy while it lasts) or a troll. Assuming the former - what do you suggest that the state goes beyond free 3rd level education and ensures that there is a big enough grant that student can get drunk at least three time a week? Okay to be fair in my experience that's two pints of fosters but it all adds up.

The OP's - and your - sense of entitlement is rather obvious. Get a part-time job or be thankful you're going to college even if the situation isn't ideal. Plenty of people in Ireland right now can't afford to go, let alone go and treat it as one massive piss-up.

Who the hell said anything about a piss up? I don't drink, funnily enough, so that'll put ya in your place. College is about meeting new friends for life. He'll still do that at home, but it's nice to gain some independance. And don't say "Sure you can wash dishes at home" crap, it's not the same.

The country needs people to go to college just as much as students want to go.

Neodymium wrote: »
    According to you Procastastudy should "get with the times", I was pointing out that we are in a privileged minority of the entire world population to have the opportunity to go to college, so perhaps you should "get with the times" and begin to realise the world that we live in.

Yes of course you are allowed to enjoy college I never said you could not. However, in Ireland you are entitled to a third level education if you can afford the fees or if you qualify for a grant. You are entitled to education, not to enjoy yourself. For you to 'enjoy' yourself is not the responsibility of the government.

So, you're not allowed to enjoy yourself at the same time no?

Cities and town benefit from students you know.

Yeah, it's not the responsibility of the government to enjoy yourself no, that's the students and more often then not they enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Obviously there are pros to stay home, but there's no actual experience of the real world then, ill still be an ignorant child who doesn't know what its like to not have a washing machine or prepared meals.

If you were living away from home, you'd still have a washing machine?! :confused: While living at home with your parents, I guess it's up to you if you want to learn to use it or not!

Same with prepared meals. If you don't want to be an "ignorant child", take responsibility for your own food and cooking! It's up to you.

I lived at home for three years of college. As far as I (and my parents) were concerned, I was an independent adult. I paid rent (much less than I'd have paid if I was renting elsewhere), I cooked for myself, I did my own washing, I looked after myself, they didn't go ringing or looking for me if I didn't come home at night. And, during rag week etc, I often stayed at with friends on campus accommodation for most of the big nights out.

You're giving out about having to get a bus home at night - stay at a friend's place? Or use the money you're saving on rent to pay for a taxi?

Honestly you're very, very lucky to be in a situation where living at home is actually a viable option. And that the fact that you can't afford to move out doesn't mean deferring altogether for the year.

Who the hell said anything about a piss up? I don't drink, funnily enough, so that'll put ya in your place. College is about meeting new friends for life. He'll still do that at home, but it's nice to gain some independance. And don't say "Sure you can wash dishes at home" crap, it's not the same.

The country needs people to go to college just as much as students want to go.

I'm well put in my place in my little corner of the old people's home. Do you remember the war?

If he wants out of home so badly maybe he can stay in a few hostels or live rough. Would certainly give him an education.

On a serious note there's absolutely no reason he can't get some volunteer work during the summer and get out for a few months - perhaps working where there are less entitled little oiks?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OP, you'll make friends with people in your classes fairly quickly. Go to college EVERY day during orientation week and week 1, regardless of whether you have classes/talks on or not.

Once you've made a few friends, you'll have access to a wide variety of places to sleep - floors, couches, kitchen counters, windowsills - which will mean you won't have to go home every night.

College is what you make of it tbh, if you sit at home sulking about the fact that your living at home and commuting, then yes, college will suck. But if you get out there and make every effort to have the absolute craic then you'll have a ball.

And sure if all else fails just buy a tent and pitch it on the college lawn some night! :pac:

I'm well put in my place in my little corner of the old people's home. Do you remember the war?

If he wants out of home so badly maybe he can stay in a few hostels or live rough. Would certainly give him an education.

On a serious note there's absolutely no reason he can't get some volunteer work during the summer and get out for a few months - perhaps working where there are less entitled little oiks?

read the op's post again. Is he complaining that he's living at home?

He's ASKING if it's going to ruin his freedom and fun. I've lived at home and on campus. It's more fun living with friends, but there is fun to be had while living at home.

read the op's post again. Is he complaining that he's living at home?

He's ASKING if it's going to ruin his freedom and fun. I've lived at home and on campus. It's more fun living with friends, but there is fun to be had while living at home.

How does the two word 'Terrible Post' reply that you made answer that question - I've only been responding to you. I answered the OP giving my opinion ages ago. Frankly I've had enough playing now - I would continue but Investment is back and posting in the Sailing forum - go and have a look and see how a real troll does it. That man is very funny.

How does the two word 'Terrible Post' reply that you made answer that question - I've only been responding to you. I answered the OP giving my opinion ages ago. Frankly I've had enough playing now - I would continue but Investment is back and posting in the Sailing forum - go and have a look and see how a real troll does it. That man is very funny.

I added more info to that post you know. You might go read it. Also you're accusing me of being a troll. Thanks, given me a reason to _ _ _ _ _ _

Where have I accused you of being a troll? I think you'll find I've chosen my words very carefully my young padawan.

This is like watching the monkeys at the beginning of 2001.

Where have I accused you of being a troll? I think you'll find I've chosen my words very carefully my young padawan.

This is like watching the monkeys at the beginning of 2001.

Not that clever lad. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I have a ruler around here somewhere if the two of ye want to just drop all pretense and start measuring...

:pac::pac:

I admire your persistence if nothing else - anyway this is getting very OT so I'll leave it there. Enjoy college - I'm sure it will instill some maturity in you and if it doesn't a few years in the work place will do.

OP - wash your own pants.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I have a ruler around here somewhere if the two of ye want to just drop all pretense and start measuring...

:pac::pac:

It'll have to be in imperial I don't get these new fangled metric measurements.

It'll have to be in imperial I don't get these new fangled metric measurements.

They have converters on the internet now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think I will be able to move away for the first year of college.
    Will this ruin first year for me? In terms of having fun, and freedom?

Im not going to college to party, but my brothers who have gone said first year is when everyone goes out a lot and it doesn't really matter because the classes aren't that hard in 1st year.

Im probably going to end up having to take a bus.. sounds like chit. Not even looking forward to it now. Its pretty much the same as school again.. no freedom to go home whenever still have to get a damn bus at a certain time.

Still have to actually go home so that's gonna buzz kill a lot of things that could happen if i had an apartment.

I think you've answered your own question.

Apart from the life experience and the social life, and the independence, you also separate yourself from working and studying with others if you live at home. College morphs into almost an extension of school, rather than a wholly different experience.

You'll still have a great time going to college even if you live at home. But it definitely a different experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Thread locked - You can thank the people arguing through out it. I'm not banning anyone, but take this as a warning. OP your original query was valid. Feel free to start another thread, but this has nose dived into bickering, and life's too short to trawl through it all to get the info you asked about! In my opinion, move out if you can, you'll enjoy it, and meet loads of new people. If you can't afford it stay home, assuming your parents don't treat you like a 14 year old you can still enjoy college life while being home.

Thanks,

John

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement