Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Viewing scripts / appealing results **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Patchy~ wrote: »
    You fill in some form :) Not sure how paying works but I imagine you get a bit of time first since you pay by bank giro.

And you do! Amended <3 :pac:

Woo, new certs!

Thanks Patch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 EmmaOs

So i got the 6-9 viewing slot for tomorrow evening but looks like i won't be able to get a lift to the school until 7. Will this matter or do i have to be there for 6?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

EmmaOs wrote: »
    So i got the 6-9 viewing slot for tomorrow evening but looks like i won't be able to get a lift to the school until 7. Will this matter or do i have to be there for 6?

There are probably others during that time too, but just as a courtesy (and in case you are the only one they are waiting on), I would ring the school and leave a message for the person in charge this evening that you will not be there until after 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 meesh140

Does anyone know what can we actually bring into the room with us? Like can I bring in a calculator to make sure my marks were added correctly? Also I would love to be able to take not of what I got in certain papers? Is there anyway I could do that or do I have to just try remember....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

meesh140 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what can we actually bring into the room with us? Like can I bring in a calculator to make sure my marks were added correctly? Also I would love to be able to take not of what I got in certain papers? Is there anyway I could do that or do I have to just try remember....?

you can bring a calculator. You can leave a refil pad and pen outside and go in and out and take notes. You cant bring anything else into the room except a calculator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Do you have to decide at the viewing if you will appeal or do you get time to decide and just have to bring a form or something back to the school?
    I'm undecided if I want to yet .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Pretty sure you get time after - at the very least you'll have until the other viewing sessions are over. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Would you have to bring that slip yoke you got with the date on it, with you? Can't find mine. :L

Would you have to bring that slip yoke you got with the date on it, with you? Can't find mine. :L

Yeah it says on it you need to present the card at the viewing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Marks in square brackets are not counted towards the final marks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Hi, does anyone know if everyone goes into individual classrooms or if everyone is put into a hall with their own table? Thanks for any indication you can give me.

I hope I'm on my own as I'd be distracted otherwise! :) I'm going in at 6 today and I'm actually really looking forward to seeing what I got in different sections and subjects!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Ah lads... the effort of going in here again this evening.

I vowed I wouldn't go back to school again, yet here I am..

Ugh.

Can you have your phone in with you I need it as my auntie will text when she's outside.
    I won't be using it otherwise or will I have to leave it outside? seeing as the exams are over anyway.
    Otherwise I'd have to keep leaving the room to check my phone.

Ah lads... the effort of going in here again this evening.

I vowed I wouldn't go back to school again, yet here I am..

Ugh.

I can't be bothered seeing them anymore I feel like I've put the LC right behind me already :L .

At least you guys got the handy hours. :L Tempted to just walk over to my school and be like "pls guise", sure the scripts are there anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Do I get my money back if the grade increases, or if the percentage increases?

In english there was CAT/CPT or something CxT written at the side of the english paper. My english teacher didn't ever mark like that. What did that mean?

In english there was CAT/CPT or something CxT written at the side of the english paper. My english teacher didn't ever mark like that. What did that mean?
    Would it have been PCLM maybe? Or C's in comparative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Read the Marking Scheme given with the script. Those letters are codes for things you have to compare/show in your essays.

For example for Kavanagh D+/D- meant things that are ''dated and irrelevant'' and L+ means ''enduring appeal of language''. Examiner put D+/D- where I showed an example of a dated aspect of his poetry and L+ where I showed an example of his appealing language.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Would it have been PCLM maybe? Or C's in comparative?

It had the 3 letter word CxT(I can't quite remember which letter). It was in paper 1 not just paper 2. I couldn't find what it meant in the marking scheme. It just had CxT in red neither could my auntie who checked. I saw it quite a few times written down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Hey, it says on the SEC website:
    Appeal fees must be paid in advance and will be refunded to you if your result is upgraded.

When they say result, do they mean an upgrade in percentage or strictly an upgrade in grade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

mathstalk wrote: »
    Hey, it says on the SEC website:

When they say result, do they mean an upgrade in percentage or strictly an upgrade in grade?
    An upgrade in grade, not percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭stall_the_ball

I'm one mark off an A in biology, got 339. What are my chances in getting an upgrade when the marking scheme shows such exact answers? Same with history, felt it was marked very harshly as did my teacher who has been an examiner, is a subject like this which is subjective likely to be increased?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jed_Dreams

Do you get a copy of the marking scheme when your viewing your script or do you have to print it off yourself ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'm one mark off an A in biology, got 339. What are my chances in getting an upgrade when the marking scheme shows such exact answers? Same with history, felt it was marked very harshly as did my teacher who has been an examiner, is a subject like this which is subjective likely to be increased?
    Has a teacher looked at your biology script? I know somebody who who was brought up a subgrade in chemistry who was just chancing her arm - she didn't have any specific areas where she thought she could be brought up. The chemistry marking scheme is just as specific. There could be a mark or two somewhere, but you really should have gone through it with a fine tooth comb to see potential areas where you could rise in marks.
    Jed_Dreams wrote: »
    Do you get a copy of the marking scheme when your viewing your script or do you have to print it off yourself ?
    They'll have copies at the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

How long does it take for each exam, roughly? I know it's different for all people.. but people's experiences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

How many marks would be in 1%? If that makes sense? :confused: Just wondering how marks I'd need for a possibility of going up at lest 1% so let me know :D

Just viewed mine and was sort of disappointed some teachers didn't show up, as I really need to see if I can go up by 10 points. My Biology teacher found that I am literally 1 mark off a B1 in Biology, and she went through it and found a possible 6 marks that I should have gotten. I got 79.75% :eek:

Also my Art teacher thinks I should get that rechecked. I got a C1, aprrox. 67.75% when I added my marks. A B3 is 70%+. We went through it and she saw that I had been marked pretty harsh on my history, and my practical could go up a few too. Just want a second opinion, do you think it's possible or what. I've seen that with Art, in my school anyway, the grades seem to go up in a recheck :S Just the thought of sending off €80 isn't too pleasant :/

The only other subjects that were slightly close to a higher grade were Business, which I got an A2 in, 87.5% and English, a B1 with 81.5%. My teachers didn't show but I English is like Art in the way that different examiners see them differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Lucario wrote: »
    How many marks would be in 1%? If that makes sense? :confused: Just wondering how marks I'd need for a possibility of going up at lest 1% so let me know :D

Just viewed mine and was sort of disappointed some teachers didn't show up, as I really need to see if I can go up by 10 points. My Biology teacher found that I am literally 1 mark off a B1 in Biology, and she went through it and found a possible 6 marks that I should have gotten. I got 79.75% :eek:

Also my Art teacher thinks I should get that rechecked. I got a C1, aprrox. 67.75% when I added my marks. A B3 is 70%+. We went through it and she saw that I had been marked pretty harsh on my history, and my practical could go up a few too. Just want a second opinion, do you think it's possible or what. I've seen that with Art, in my school anyway, the grades seem to go up in a recheck :S Just the thought of sending off €80 isn't too pleasant :/

The only other subjects that were slightly close to a higher grade were Business, which I got an A2 in, 87.5% and English, a B1 with 81.5%. My teachers didn't show but I English is like Art in the way that different examiners see them differently.

1% for any exam is the overall marks allocated for that exam divided by 100. Usually 4 marks for most subjects with the exception for Maths and Irish 6 marks and applied Maths 3 marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

I got 96% in my written Irish :D 100% in the aural drama prose and poetry :)

Kinda disappointed with the history project but I got 96 in two essays to make up for it and 94 in the document

Maths I got 74.5% ..... Didn't round up :/ a lot of ppl noticed that they got low attempt marks when they should of got high attempt marks ! I noticed on one qst I got 4 instead of 9 which would bring me up a grade :/

I don't know if anyone else felt this buy the marking seemed harder the lower you were in the batch of papers ! All my high grades were when I was like 200+ but maybe it's just a coincidence ......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭dmca93

I got 23 for the melody in music. I had no deductions and still only got 23.... like why? I got an A2 but would really love an A1. My teacher even played it (slyly) ;) and it sounded perfect..:confused:. Needless to say I'll be getting that rechecked.

Advertisement