Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Viewing scripts / appealing results **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

My maths marks were added up wrong, and I'm 2 marks off a C2. I think they were just plain missed on some though.
    My 3 A2s were disgustingly borderline. :( I missed out on 560 points by like 20 marks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

In maths I'm like .3% off a C2 and I don't know whether to get it rechecked or not. I got around 35 marks in the last question. But overall the paper two was very strange, I was giving marks for basically anything I put down so I'm afraid to appeal it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Juxtaposition

in honours irish i got a B1 overall, would love an A2.
    obviously don't see oral mark, felt i did very well there.
    got 268 marks out of a possible 360 in written, that is therefore 73.8% excluding oral.
    i must have dont very well i.e over 35% out of a possible 40% in my oral to get the B1.
    i feel like my paper 1 was marked fairly but my an triail and comprehensions could gain extra marks, my teacher also agrees.

is it worth the recheck? would any marker be cruel enough to bring me down a grade?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joe Lane

Lucario wrote: »

Also my Art teacher thinks I should get that rechecked. I got a C1, aprrox. 67.75% when I added my marks.

I am curious as to how you calculated 67.75%

Not all of the practical parts of Art were present for me today (as I expected) and there did not appear to be any way to establish the exact overall marks or percetage total without this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Joe Lane wrote: »
    I am curious as to how you calculated 67.75%

Not all of the practical parts of Art were present for me today (as I expected) and there did not appear to be any way to establish the exact overall marks or percetage total without this.

In total I got 271 marks, out of 400, which is 67.75%, is it not? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Joe Lane

In total I got 271 marks, out of 400, which is 67.75%, is it not? :p

Your maths are fine Lucario!

In my case for Art, all of the practicals were not there (as I expected) so I could not establish the total marks.

Were all your practicals there? If not, how did you know that you got 271 marks in total?

Joe Lane wrote: »
    Your maths are fine Lucario!

In my case for Art, all of the practicals were not there (as I expected) so I could not establish the total marks.

Were all your practicals there? If not, how did you know that you got 271 marks in total?

Sorry I should have mentioned, yes mine were :p I didn't have an 3D work so it was all just in one of those plastic bags :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

I was really disappointed by the level of effort put into the marking of my English paper. Certain words in my short story, (uncommon words labeling various paraphernalia relative to the setting), were marked as incorrectly spelt. I know they weren't misspellings because I had used them before (I also checked the spellings when I got home). What annoyed me about this though was that it displayed ignorance on the examiner's part. He/She hadn't seen the word before, thought it looked wrong, and thus marked it as a misspelling. On the other hand, words that were spelt incorrectly were, most of the time, overlooked. The examiner even failed to recognise the pluperfect tense once or twice; marking terms like "I had had my breakfast" (not an actual quote) as grammatically incorrect.

In Paper 2, the examiner correctly sign posted key points (irony, symbolism etc.) with red boxes for the first 2 pages (producing a well marked Literary Genre answer). After that, the key points kept coming, but for some reason, the red boxes ceased, and once again all my misspellings began to go unnoticed. Suspiciously, the marks under PCLM on my Hamlet essay appeared to resemble identically the marks on my Paper 1 short story. My teacher, who was there with me, referred to the marking of these answers as 'a joke'.

My Poetry answer (a total sham, lacking in quotations, made purposely long and 'around the point' due to lack of knowledge) was awarded a B, the same mark as my Hamlet,, my Short Story, my Unseen Poetry and my Reading Comprehensions.

Now you can guess what I'm thinking at this point… "there's a bit of a pattern evolving here, isn't there? Regardless of the answers' substance, they're all being seen as equal." Well there it is kids. Behold the harsh realization that regardless of the amount of work you put into LC English (Or the lack of work you put in), there's nothing you can do to avoid getting 'The Presumptuous Examiner"; that examiner who reads the first few lines of your answer, skims through the rest while simultaneously watching Scrubs and then presumptuously declares"That seems like a B!"

Good luck, good bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Moses048

Got 145 marks in HL Biology(By far my weakest subject). Need 160 to pass but I heard that if you get 38% then the examiners will pass you to avoid having to fail you, anyone know if this is true? All I need is the d3 and I have the points for course I want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Moses048 wrote: »
    Got 145 marks in HL Biology(By far my weakest subject). Need 160 to pass but I heard that if you get 38% then the examiners will pass you to avoid having to fail you, anyone know if this is true? All I need is the d3 and I have the points for course I want

this is true 38% is a pass. I wouldnt be sure about appealing biology as its a science and therefore its very specific marking. If you looked at the paper on seen places you think you could of got marks id appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭amymak

I was really pleased with some of my scripts and not so with others. (I really wish that you could see how you did in the oral.)

I only lost 13 marks out of 400 in business, which I was really excited about. (Over 97%!) Full marks in the ABQ.

I got at least 95% in my Irish oral. Thank you, slave driver Irish teacher.
    Did anyone else notice in the Irish marking scheme, for the section with Tig ná Tit/An Triail, on top of the page, it said there was 40 marks for it, but beside each of the individual questions it said 35. Odd.

I only got 72/100 in my essay in English. I (Edit: have) never done near as poorly in an essay before. I didn't think that it went that badly. I got an A2, and if I had received 90 in the essay my overall grade would have been an A1. :P On the other hand, I got 48/50 for Rich, despite thinking that the question went poorly.

I found that Q8 PII in Maths was marked really badly. I got the correct answer for PQ, alpha and beta yet I only got 35 marks. Plus my justification for the second part was close to the one in the marking scheme and I got nothing. I'm only 8 marks off an A2 and I'm getting maths rechecked, so hopefully I'll be able to go over the top.

For people planning to get English rechecked, make sure that you know exactly where you think the examiner went wrong. Our teacher corrects and she asserts that examiners rarely bring students up in the rechecks unless there is something very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

Anyone know what date appeal results are released? I got all A's, bar English, I got a C1, brutally marked. Really hope I get brought up to a A/high B...

amymak wrote: »
    I got at least 95% in my Irish oral. Thank you, slave driver Irish teacher.
    Did anyone else notice in the Irish marking scheme, for the section with Tig ná Tit/An Triail, on top of the page, it said there was 40 marks for it, but beside each of the individual questions it said 35. Odd.

I only got 72/100 in my essay in English. I never done near as poorly in an essay before. I didn't think that it went that badly. I got an A2, and if I had received 90 in the essay my overall grade would have been an A1. :P On the other hand, I got 48/50 for Rich, despite thinking that the question went poorly.
    I didnt see that but yeah its 40 marks going for it, 35 for information and 5 for Irish. :)

Also, never did* nearly as poorly...sorry, I had to. :P Well done on your results anyway, I feel your pain with English, 9 marks off the A1 and only 87 in my story - normally I get higher and my P1 overall, I felt, was marked harshly. But sure what can ya do. :pac:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I didnt see that but yeah its 40 marks going for it, 35 for information and 5 for Irish. :)

Also, never did* nearly as poorly...sorry, I had to. :P Well done on your results anyway, I feel your pain with English, 9 marks off the A1 and only 87 in my story - normally I get higher and my P1 overall, I felt, was marked harshly. But sure what can ya do. :pac:

Very awkward. :eek: Please believe me when I say that it was a typo and that I normally would never say that. :P

I don't know whether I deserved such a low score in the essay or not. It's impossible to assess your own work. The most annoying thing was the number of mechanics marks I lost throughout the paper because of my handwriting.

I think it's when you're so close to going up a grade that it stings the most. Did you apply to get English rechecked? You could make up the 9 marks if the examiner was in a good mood. English is very subjective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

dmca93 wrote: »
    I got 23 for the melody in music. I had no deductions and still only got 23.... like why? I got an A2 but would really love an A1. My teacher even played it (slyly) ;) and it sounded perfect..:confused:. Needless to say I'll be getting that rechecked.

omg same! I thought my melody was absolutely perfect as I did the EXACT SAME melody the week before and got an A1 in it. Looked at my script the other day and got 21/40.. :eek: There was literally no incorrect marks or that, I followed all the steps to doing a perfect melody and got 21/40. I was happy with my overall B1 anyway, but was disappointed by how the melody was marked. I got 50/60 in the Backing chords which was fair enough though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

omg same! I thought my melody was absolutely perfect as I did the EXACT SAME melody the week before and got an A1 in it. Looked at my script the other day and got 21/40.. :eek: There was literally no incorrect marks or that, I followed all the steps to doing a perfect melody and got 21/40. I was happy with my overall B1 anyway, but was disappointed by how the melody was marked. I got 50/60 in the Backing chords which was fair enough though!

My music script wasn't there </3.... But I have a feeling I did well on the composing paper... :'( I really wanted to see it. :L

Very awkward. :eek: Please believe me when I say that it was a typo and that I normally would never say that. :P

I don't know whether I deserved such a low score in the essay or not. It's impossible to assess your own work. The most annoying thing was the number of mechanics marks I lost throughout the paper because of my handwriting.

I think it's when you're so close to going up a grade that it stings the most. Did you apply to get English rechecked? You could make up the 9 marks if the examiner was in a good mood. English is very subjective.
    Hahaha I believe you :P
    Yeah, I agree - with me, under pressure I might have let myself down, but my A/B were both 39/50 when I felt at least B deserved more because my nerves were calmer. And omg thats not fair, mechanics is for spelling/grammar! But I lost clarity marks all over the place and I think it was the same idea (my handwriting isn't great)...like 59/60 / 48/50 because of lost clarity marks, and in my essay I got 26/25/26 - again, clarity. Bit unfair.
    I wanted to soooo badly but I was too afraid of going down a grade! I'm happy with my points but it's niggling at me a bit. :pac: Are you gonna get a recheck?

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Hahaha I believe you :P
    Yeah, I agree - with me, under pressure I might have let myself down, but my A/B were both 39/50 when I felt at least B deserved more because my nerves were calmer. And omg thats not fair, mechanics is for spelling/grammar! But I lost clarity marks all over the place and I think it was the same idea (my handwriting isn't great)...like 59/60 / 48/50 because of lost clarity marks, and in my essay I got 26/25/26 - again, clarity. Bit unfair.
    I wanted to soooo badly but I was too afraid of going down a grade! I'm happy with my points but it's niggling at me a bit. :pac: Are you gonna get a recheck?

Well I should clarify, the mechanical marks were lost because the examiner thought that I'd spelled the words wrong. Though if he/she had looked properly, they would have seen that that's the way I write. My teachers have never had a problem with my handwriting before.

Still, 59/60, 48/50 sound like excellent marks. So, it must have been Paper I that let you down, was it?
    I suppose it would be a nightmare if you did actually go down. Plus €40 is quite a lot to lose if they don't bring you up. I do understand that niggling feeling. There's always the question "what if..."

Didn't get mine rechecked. My teacher wasn't there, so she couldn't tell me whether my mark was justified or not. I didn't think it was worth it.

Well I should clarify, the mechanical marks were lost because the examiner thought that I'd spelled the words wrong. Though if he/she had looked properly, they would have seen that that's the way I write. My teachers have never had a problem with my handwriting before.

Still, 59/60, 48/50 sound like excellent marks. So, it must have been Paper I that let you down, was it?
    I suppose it would be a nightmare if you did actually go down. Plus €40 is quite a lot to lose if they don't bring you up. I do understand that niggling feeling. There's always the question "what if..."

Didn't get mine rechecked. My teacher wasn't there, so she couldn't tell me whether my mark was justified or not. I didn't think it was worth it.
    Oh that's so frustrating! My handwriting is pretty bad but the only word my examiner couldnt make out was "murder" in my comparative (despite it being there twice...they wrote murder? all over it hahaha) and I lost 4 marks in it overall, and I blame that, because in the B part I had no problems, 40/40. :/ I wrote just as much for both too, so if I can get 40, I can get 30, which my teacher thought was really picky of them. And thank you :) Yeah it was, I was so annoyed, a B1 in P1 and a high A1 in P2 - everything you can't prepare (A, B, Essay, Unseen Poetry) let me down a bit, and I wasn't happy with the A/B marks, and slightly annoyed with the story but sure I still got an A. :P

Such an annoying what if, isn't it? I hope I don't end up regretting it but it's not a huge life moment I guess, though English was my favourite subject and I was a bit disappointed when literally 20+ people I know got A1s.

I definitely agree though, without a teacher there it's hard to judge. Sure by the sounds of it you did great overall anyway! :P Were your P1/P2 even in marks or did one bring you down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ThatGuy93

The Leaving Certificate Appeal Results will be available in schools on Wednesday, 10th October, 2012 and will be available online at 12 midday.

Best of luck everyone,
    ThatGuy93

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=e_lc_ap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

Will the SEC still send something to tell you that they haven't changed the grade or they have changed the grade. Accordin to the online thing mine didn't change. Like I payed to get a recheck but I never really got confirmation that they recieved my recheck from the school. Just the paranoid me trying to find a fault. Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

Hey just wondering if you went up for the re-checks what do you have to do to get your money back? for instance i went up in both of the papers i got rechecked-where do i claim my money?
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mberm

My son had one paper rechecked and it was upgraded, thank God. I asked the school principal about the refund of the fee, he was unsure of how and when it would be refunded. He thought it would be returned to the school but suggested I not hold my breath!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I still haven't been notified of my appeal result...Can I check online?

David1994 wrote: »
    I still haven't been notified of my appeal result...Can I check online?

Yeah, if you have your PIN? I got my cert today so it might depend on when your school posted it out(if you went up a grade..)

Also will the money just be transferred back to our bank accounts?

Yeah, if you have your PIN? I got my cert today so it might depend on when your school posted it out(if you went up a grade..)

What PIN exactly is that? And I think the money is just transferred...Not sure though :)

David1994 wrote: »
    What PIN exactly is that? And I think the money is just transferred...Not sure though :)

I'm not sure, I remember just before our Leaving we got a sheet with some sort of PIN for checking our results online, but I threw it away knowing I'd be getting my results from the school :pac: I've no idea how to get your PIN other from this sheet we were given..

I'm not sure, I remember just before our Leaving we got a sheet with some sort of PIN for checking our results online, but I threw it away knowing I'd be getting my results from the school :pac: I've no idea how to get your PIN other from this sheet we were given..

Ok I will have a look for that :P Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I got it as a cheque but not sure if they've changed it in the last year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JamesDundalk

I got updraded in mine too, went up two grades. I think they said that they return the cheques/bank drafts or whatnot in "due course" not very specific, but I'm sure they will just post it out to your home address. What did people get upgraded in? I expected to go up further, so going to use that other service of the independent appeal scrutineer or whatever it is haha.

Advertisement