Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science, Linguistics and a Language?

• 17-08-2012 3:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Have yet to meet anyone else with this funny little TCD course down. CSL and French is my first choice. I got 580 but even then I'm a little worried considering there's only 15 places (is this per language or overall?!) and because of the predicted huge rise in Comp Sci courses.

So anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I wasn't really considering it (pure CS here), but do you know how they manage to fit so much more content into the same length of course? It seems you'll be missing out on CS material to fit in the linguistics&language. I was just curious as to how they did it/what they cut out

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

What I've heard is that they removed much of the hardware related stuff from Computer Science and much of the poetry/prose related stuff from French.

Suits me just fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Yeh, I applied for that course. You'll definitely get it with 580 points. No way are the points going to jump from 465 to 580. Oh, If anybody tells you that the syllabus is dumbed down, make sure you inform them that the correct term is stream-lined :D I can always do the extra stuff on the side if I particularly want to, which suits me just fine too. See you on the course hopefully! The name's Seán by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Ferrakins

my sister started CSL (French) last year. I dont know much about the course content but her year seem to get on, and shes enjoying it. The only thing I do know is that because its between two schools she's to peg it from one building to another sometimes between lectures. apparently an hour lecture actually means a 60 minute lecture in TCD.

she'll be packing her bags for France this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭EmmetOT

Seán! Considering we are going into a 15 person course I'll probably be seeing a lot of you in the coming years. Nice to meet you!

Ferrakins, that's great to hear because the Trinity board here does NOT have good things to say about the French department. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

EmmetOT wrote: »
    Seán! Considering we are going into a 15 person course I'll probably be seeing a lot of you in the coming years. Nice to meet you!

I'll make sure to properly introduce myself during Freshers' Week :D
    Ferrakins wrote: »
    my sister started CSL (French) last year. I dont know much about the course content but her year seem to get on, and shes enjoying it. The only thing I do know is that because its between two schools she's to peg it from one building to another sometimes between lectures. apparently an hour lecture actually means a 60 minute lecture in TCD.

she'll be packing her bags for France this time next year.

Thanks for the post Ferrakins! Weird as it is, I sort of like the sound of running from place to place. Sounds like a great chance to fit in some exercise on the side; multitasking!

Advertisement