Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Validity/Temporary Passport. Help!

Options
  • 17-08-2012 6:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Well lads,
    I realise I am new here, if this is in the wrong place, please feel free the move this to the correct section.

Anyway,
    I am living in Perth WA, and I recently booked a flight to bali in a months time.
    Only after booking the flight did i realise my passport will only be 5 and a half months valid on the day on my departure.

With the passport required to be 6 months valid or more, I do realise a new passport will be required (possibly a temporary one?)

What i was wondering is how to obtain a temporary passport and how long does it take? I called the embassy and the girl on the phone was very unhelpful.

Thanks, Evan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

There is no 'temporary passport' so you'd need to apply for the full 10 year one and the embassy website is saying its going to take up to 8 weeks at the moment.

Maybe ring them and ask if they can expedite it if you show proof of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

Rascasse wrote: »
    There is no 'temporary passport' so you'd need to apply for the full 10 year one and the embassy website is saying its going to take up to 8 weeks at the moment.

Maybe ring them and ask if they can expedite it if you show proof of travel.

There is one for emergency travel as far as I know. I called the embassy again. I just need to show proof of travel.

Yeah theres an emergency one alright but that just to get you back home if you lose your passport and need to get home quickly. It won't get you into Bali.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭evan2509

Yeah theres an emergency one alright but that just to get you back home if you lose your passport and need to get home quickly. It won't get you into Bali.

I called the embassy and told them it was Bali I was travelling to, they said thats fine that I just need to get an emergency travel passport. Send proof of flight, old passport, letter, passport application, and 210 dollars.

Thats $85 more than the usual fee for a 10 year passport so I'd imagine they're going to get you one expedited.

If it was an emergency passport you wouldn't get on the plane. I was offered one years ago when I lost my passport in Canada but had to wait for the full 10 year one as I was flying home via the US and they wouldn't have let me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Thats $85 more than the usual fee for a 10 year passport so I'd imagine they're going to get you one expedited.

If it was an emergency passport you wouldn't get on the plane. I was offered one years ago when I lost my passport in Canada but had to wait for the full 10 year one as I was flying home via the US and they wouldn't have let me in.
    AUD 85 is worth it rather than waiting around for the normal process. 8 weeks would be optimistic.

Advertisement