Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

person shouldn't have dogs, what can i do?

• 17-08-2012 7:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

There is a man living up the road from me that has 2 white german shepards, he has no control over them whatsoever and in my opinion shouldn't have a hamster never mind a dog.
    There is a field behind my house and he "walks" them there at 6am most mornings, i say walks in inverted commas as its basically him standing there screaming at the dogs as they run like lunatics to every house with a dog in the back yard and try to attack them through the fence, my own included.
    If the barking isn't enough to wake the entire place, this idiots shouting is.
    This happens at least once a week.
    The dogs may as well be alone out there because they totally ignore him.
    They have went for me and my dogs on another occasion where i was walking and they were loose.
    Also i have heard that no one can walk by his house with a dog without these 2 german shepards coming out and going for them.
    These dogs are too big and dangerous to be left in the hands of someone who hasn't a clue.
    Anything i can do, would this be valid complaint to the ISPCA?
    I think it's just a matter of time before they hurt someone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Contact your local dog warden. ISPCA cant do anything as its not a cruelty case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Its not a matter for the ISPCA in any way, shape or form.

If you have an issue, then call the local dog warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

"Also i have heard that no one can walk by his house with a dog without these 2 german shepards coming out and going for them.
    "

What do you mean by this? Are they barking at the gate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭wesf

Media999 wrote: »
    "Also i have heard that no one can walk by his house with a dog without these 2 german shepards coming out and going for them.
    "

What do you mean by this? Are they barking at the gate?

No, actually leaving the yard and crossing the road after people with dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Maybe go and talk to that guy, doesn't seem like it's too late to change the dogs' behaviour if he learns how to train them properly.
    I am sure he is aware of his lack of control, but if you provide him with a solution to the problem he might actually take it.

• Advertisement

Maybe go and talk to that guy, doesn't seem like it's too late to change the dogs' behaviour if he learns how to train them properly.
    I am sure he is aware of his lack of control, but if you provide him with a solution to the problem he might actually take it.

He isn't the type of person to take advice like that, i reckon i'd be told where to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—
    (a) the premises of the owner, or
    (b) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or
    (c) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,
    unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

Clearly this man has no control (effective or otherwise) over his dogs therefore it is a definite case for the dog warden.

Yeh gonna contact them this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If the Dogs are not being mistreated theres not alot you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

ryanf1 wrote: »
    If the Dogs are not being mistreated theres not alot you can do.

Sorry ryanf1 there is plenty you can do.

People fail to understand that the law says dogs must be kept under control in a public place. Some people can do this by training the dogs to behave (come when called etc), some need to use a leash. As long as the dogs are controlled they law doesn't mind. If they are not then we all have the right to ask the dog warden to enforce the law.

• Advertisement
Advertisement