Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

technoklutz musiclover question

Options
  • 17-08-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

After struggling for years with decrepit odds & ends of things to play my records, cd's & tapes (yes I'm that old!) on I've come to the conclusion that it's time to buy something proper. Thing is, what though? Can anyone recommend a make or model of somethng that will give a reasonable sound at a reasonable cost? I've also got an ipod, but this went rancid when I got rid of unbelievably irritating microsoft and went all linux instead. Clues, anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Leaving aside the puzzle of blaming Microsoft for woes with an Apple product, what exactly are you looking for? Are you looking for some sort of all-in-one tape, CD, MP3 player? Personally I just invested in a decent 5:1 speaker setup which connects to my computer. It does the job for movies, games and music. I rip all my CDs and play them through the computer. My tapes however are getting mouldy sitting in a few boxes in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Do you want an all in one solution or would you look at separates (more expensive but a great investment if you look after them)? In terms of your records unfortunately the cheap usb turntables don't come close to doing them justice & can oftend damage them with their crappy stylus & plastic arms. A decent turntable will be required. In terms of tapes, don't bother unless they're particularly hard to find, in which case maybe try & rip them to the computer using Audacity software - I've done that with some concert bootlegs I had, with mixed results. There's a debate to be had (which I'm not 100% decided on myself) between the merits of cd vs vinyl but tapes are just crap audio wise.

If you wanted to go completely digital & have it all ripped to your hard drive you could get an audio sender kit (search on ebay) which transmits audio from a usb dongle on your computer to a receiver which you can then connect to an amp & speakers. I have a cheapo OneForAll model hooked up to my Nad amp that sounds surprisingly good. Apple do a higher spec device called "Airport Express" that's supposed to be great if you're using Itunes. Do you have a budget in mind for the system?

Advertisement