Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants Closing

Options
  • 17-08-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Sorry to see a long standing restaurant closed. I have been informed that Bel's closed last week. Has the new extension to Hungry Monk been a factor in their demise? I also heard that the Tapas Bar's closure is imminent. This does not come as a big surprise as it has struggled from day one under various managements.
    It will be interesting to see how true the rumour that Avoca are opening in the old "Script" premises is. It could be the answer to the difficulties that end of town has in attracting businesses. Here's hoping.
    Asian Scent, above the Burnaby is another restaurant that is never busy. It seems to do a reasonable take-away trade but doesn't need a huge area to carry out that business. Royal Park is another that is rarely very busy. Could all this be evidence of the recession taking a hold on "eating out".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,853 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

vinpaul wrote: »
    Sorry to see a long standing restaurant closed. Has the new extension to Hungry Monk been a factor in their demise? I also heard that the Tapas Bar's closure is imminent. This does not come as a big surprise as it has struggled from day one under various managements. It will be interesting to see how true the rumour that Avoca are opening in the old "Script" premises is. It could be the answer to the dificulties that end of town has in attracting businesses. Here's hoping.
    Asian Scent, above the Burnaby is another restaurant that is never busy. It seems to do a reasonable take-away trade but doesn't need a huge area to carry out that business. Royal Park is another that is rarely very busy. Could all this be evidence of the recession taking a hold on "eating out".

what restaurant is closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

what restaurant is closing?
    Sorry. Intended to mention Bels

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

Good riddance place was a rip off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I don't think the HM extension has any bearing on the closure of Bel's. If anything, it demonstrates that Bel's was/is poorly run or over expensive. The HM obviously feel that there is sufficient demand in Greystones at their price point to allow them to expand.

Bel's on the other hand is one of the few places I haven't eaten since moving to Greystones two years ago. I didn't go because I always thought it was expensive for the menu. It seems to fall between charging similar prices to the HM, but lacking the reputation, and being too expensive as somewhere to go for a tasty good value bite, like Bottcheli's.

Very few chinese restaurants ever seem busy to my eyes. I can think of only one in Cork city that has lasted the course as a sit down location. The connotations around it being a take-away/fast food/quick fix meal for home mean that you're never really enticed to "go out for a chinese". The teppenyaki in Asian Scent though is great. Good value, very tasty and also entertaining. Tapas place ... never been. Probably mainly due to the poor reports I've heard about service etc. It's also extremely badly advertised/promoted. You wouldn't have an idea it was there while walking the main st, and if you saw it, from a distance half the time it seemed to strike me as a disused shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

nungesser wrote: »
    Good riddance place was a rip off!

Never seizes to amaze me - the joy some people get out of a business closing down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

The Guide wrote: »
    Never seizes to amaze me - the joy some people get out of a business closing down.

nobody wants to see any business close. but when you go to a place and they do not perform and charge you a lot of money on top of that. It's their own fault. I had a rip off meal at Bel's and wrote an email to the manager telling them so. I never stepped foot in the place again. Maybe somebody else will open up an eatery in its place and I'll be happy to give them a try. Now perhaps I dont like the food or think its priced to high fine those are my own judgments, but if a place rips you off well yes Good Riddance!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Last time i went in bels it was taking so long for anyone to take orders although there were two staff, one of them the manager, chatting at the bar/counter. Someone from a different table walked up to them and asked if he could order, the manager asked him to sit down and someone would come take his order. 10 minutes later the person went back to the manager and asked agin if he could just tell them the order. The manager said " if you want to order food at a counter go to mcdonalds". The guy collected his family from the table and left. I would have also stood and left if i hadnt already started my starter. I never went back after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Backstage @ Bels will soon be a Thai Restaurant. Mrs Robinson is rumoured to be taking over El Rincon Tapas Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

The Guide wrote: »
    Hardly joyful! And I tend to agree. It was expensive and unimaginative. The good restaurants like 3Qs will continue to prosper because they offer value and quality. Bels is a good space so should reopen under something else,

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Backstage @ Bels will soon be a Thai Restaurant. Mrs Robinson is rumoured to be taking over El Rincon Tapas Bar.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssss! Love Thai

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Asian scent served me noodles from a pack and sliced ham 4 years ago never went back. Shame about Bels, surprised Botchellis is still open.

Copper Kettle gone, best menu and value ever.

Thai? Hopefully not the crap 'Thai' like Yams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I went out to El Rincon on saturday night and the GM informed us next weekend is there last weekend of trading.

He said Dan for Mrs Robinsons had purchsed the lease, but has to wait 3 months or so for the bar licence to come through... then he will knock down the ajoining wall etc.

While i like Mrs R's I still think its a pity the Tapas bar is going.... it was cheap and cheerful and i for one enjoyed my nights out in there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

surprised Botchellis is still open

Haha.. best laugh I've had all day. Even if you didn't intend it as funny.

Amazes me that they're still doing a trade as I don't know anyone who goes there. or that would recommend it.
    I went a couple of times and thought it was poor. But that was a long time ago so maybe it's improved..

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

snowman224 wrote: »
    Haha.. best laugh I've had all day. Even if you didn't intend it as funny.

Amazes me that they're still doing a trade as I don't know anyone who goes there. or that would recommend it.
    I went a couple of times and thought it was poor. But that was a long time ago so maybe it's improved..

I heard of a group that went there in June. They said the food was very good and the prices very reasonable. I was in it myself twice last year. Had 2 very nice meals.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

We went with family last year, woeful service, burnt food.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

We went with family last year, woeful service, burnt food.

A few of friends went there in July and we all enjoyed our food. Good service and great value.

I also see a busy trade on their terrace on sunny (ok,not a huge number this year) days/evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hoags

Based on own experience: El Rincon was good value for the money; got what you paid for. I was in HM a couple of weeks ago - upstairs was not open that evening but downstairs was very full, including the new extensions. Bocellis is good - I have no problem going there and particularly good for large family. Pity to hear about a restaurant closing down - but to be honest I never thought Bels was that good and would not choose it given the other choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Copper Kettle gone, best menu and value ever.
    Yeah, shame about that. I enjoyed walking the old mass path from Farrankelly Road to Kilcoole and back, with a coffee or lunch stop there. Hoping somebody else will reopen it, even under a different name.

I hear Avoca is going in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I hear Avoca is going in there :D

I heard from my cousins exs grannys mother in laws best friends godsons next door neighbour there'll be 10 avocas in Greystones. His cousins best friends aunty is the next door neighbour of someone who passed through Greystones once.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement