Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig help

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Having gone down the route of getting a reference 670 I'd advise you not to. They're pretty damn loud to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Since gaming is the primary use, you might as well go for the 3570K instead as the hyperthreading in the i7 won't be much use to you.

Coolermaster GX PSUs aren't great. Are you thinking of multiple GPUs down the road?

RAM should be fine. What about DVD drive? Windows?

That's not a bad CPU that you already have. Can you overclock and just add in a new card?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 UberPro

Monotype wrote: »
    Since gaming is the primary use, you might as well go for the 3570K instead as the hyperthreading in the i7 won't be much use to you.

Coolermaster GX PSUs aren't great. Are you thinking of multiple GPUs down the road?

RAM should be fine. What about DVD drive? Windows?

That's not a bad CPU that you already have. Can you overclock and just add in a new card?

I already have a DVD drive and Windows 7.
    Well tbh this pc is kinda in bits. About a year ago i couldnt unscrew the case of the gtx 280 and ended up breaking the case.
    The main problem is that it heats too much. During gaming the gpu goes somewhere around 85 degrees and the cpu 70 degrees.
    I tried changing the thermal paste but no luck.I`ve been playing for over 3 years at temps of 85 degrees on the graphics card i`m still surprised it still works. My old motherboard also broke it was a p5qc and now i`m running on a cheap P5G41T-M LX.
    Last winter i didnt even need heating in the room. The desktop did all the job xD. Even with all the fans on full power on the antec 9000 its still the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I echo the comments in this thread:

Use what you can out of your existing system - the RAM is grand.

670 Reference - unless its voltage unlocked consider the 7950 in my sig or wait for the 660ti to come down in price. It depends what res you are gaming at though the 7950 will be better at higher resolutions.

3770K - no point for a gaming rig. Spend the extra money on cooling and look for a higher over clock on a 3570K.

My monitor`s resolution is 1920x1080.
    Also are there other versions of the 670 that are unlocked? For example the msi one?
    What about water cooling. Any suggestions ?

• Advertisement

UberPro wrote: »
    My monitor`s resolution is 1920x1080.

What about water cooling. Any suggestions ?

Not worth the hassle imo. You can get a H100 or H80 if you want a sort of half way house.

Will i be able to fit the radiator in this case without any modding?
    Also is there another version of the gtx 670 which is unlocked? I head a few people saying that the 670`s make a weird noise is that true in all cases?

What about this PSU
    If was to drop down to an i5 as suggested what kinda of extra cooling should i look for.

H80 goes in almost any case - H100 I dont think would fit in there. In all honesty the H80/100 v Noctua DH thingy there's not much in it cooling wise.
    Also is there another version of the gtx 670 which is unlocked? I head a few people saying that the 670`s make a weird noise is that true in all cases?
    it was never really on my radar so I dont know some of the guys might.
    What about this PSU
    If was to drop down to an i5 as suggested what kinda of extra cooling should i look for.

Read Monotype's PSU guide but seems overkill if you're not going for an SLI system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

What about this PSU

Ye reference gtx 670's make some awful loud noises. I have the Gainward edition. If I was going to buy again I'd get somethin like this gtx 670. Granted it's €40 more expensive but I'm having to pay that now for a VGA cooler.:(

• Advertisement

H100 and that case aren't going to work together as far as I know.

i7 adds nothing to a gaming rig.

Why that SSD? Why that RAM? Why that Mobo?

You really want a modular PSU if you're going the SLI route

I saw this post which gave me the impression that you can put it in the case. It can also go on the top but with only 2 fans.
    The mb seemed to be decent with enough slots for a possible sli in the future.
    A friend recommended that ssd from his own experience.
    The speed and the latency of the ram looked good enough.

Its your build, of course but just my opinions;

i7-3770K - adds nothing to a gaming rig
    Mobo - seems very expensive - what features doe it have that you need? Would the ASRocks Pro3/4 Extreme 4/6 do the same job?

RAM - Meh its only a few quid more so why not - its not needed on even the most heavily overclocked system though.

SSD - I've never seen any benchmarks of the corsair - thats kinda worrying as I've seen quite a few benchmarks for SSDs. Compare it to the Crucial M4 and Samasung 830 .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Its your build, of course but just my opinions;

i7-3770K - adds nothing to a gaming rig
    Mobo - seems very expensive - what features doe it have that you need? Would the ASRocks Pro3/4 Extreme 4/6 do the same job?

RAM - Meh its only a few quid more so why not - its not needed on even the most heavily overclocked system though.

SSD - I've never seen any benchmarks of the corsair - thats kinda worrying as I've seen quite a few benchmarks for SSDs. Compare it to the Crucial M4 and Samasung 830 .

im running a corsair force 3 ssd...a lesser model to the one the OP has chosen..
    It works a treat..no hassles what so ever..I upgraded the firmware as soon as i got it and has been working a treat.

Here is its ATTO benchmark.
    [IMG][/img]Untitled-14.jpg

Do you have any comparisons to the M4 or 830? I've never seen them compared. Whats the failure rate like - any info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Do you have any comparisons to the M4 or 830? I've never seen them compared. Whats the failure rate like - any info?

Sry mate cant help ya there..
    I know a few atto bench marks were put up on boards a while back for the M4 but like I said it was a good while back..

A few of my mates have the same as me and not a problem with them.
    Personally I think the key is to update the firmware first then good to go..(with any ssd priority No.1)

What about this or does it have to be done on the same specs as dwighet had?

What about this or does it have to be done on the same specs as dwighet had?

Thats grand - as long as they are all done on the same system. To be honest on an SSD its not going to make much difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The corsair is a Sandforce drive. Better than the Force 3 as it has synchronous NAND so performance doesn't degrade when you fill it up... I meant to mention this in the SSD guide, [H] have a good article on it. Not a bad drive for the price but with the Samsung cheaper, it makes a better buy since it holds up the speeds even when you have incompressible data.

Advertisement