Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sticky situation here...dog found, owners don't seem bothered!

• 17-08-2012 10:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi,

My boyfriend and I found a large dog on Monday evening. On the night, he and I brought the dog back down along the beach etc. to where we were told he was roaming all day, no sign of owners looking.

We also rang the Guards straight away and I left my number and the dogs description, we rand the Waterford Animal Welfare which actually told us to let the dog free. I rand the WSPCA and left a message but they never replied and I rang several country rescues but could not get through. I also rang the local radio that evening but also could not get through.

The following day after uploading pictures and notices on several internet sites, we brought him to the vet to see if he had a microchip and he doesn't, nor did he have a collar. The odd thing is he's a healthy dog, very placid and well trained, only barked twice in almost a week. He adores cuddles and slobs all over and doesn't like being left alone.

So as the week went on, last night we had to bring him to the vets again because he had raw patches at his groin from licking too much and it was getting infected. Its due to friction and chafing. He's now on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. It cost us 45euro but I hated seeing him in discomfort. (also, if the owners return, should we give the vet bill?)

Then I got a message on Facebook saying they knew where he's from and his real name and they showed photos. Yes, it's him. My number has been given to the apparent owners who apparently live in my town also. Nobody has called me yet.

The question here is...If you lost your dog, well over a week ago and love him very much, would'nt you report him missing to the Guards, around the town, put up notices etc. And also search high and lown around your town?

I know I would. I would be distraught if I lost my little mutt (my dads dog). Most others I know would do the same. But Like I said, nobody reported him missing.

They still have not rang me yet and we are confused and don't know what to do. Today we were going to ring the POUND and inform them we have a dog of this description but I am not putting him in there.

Oh people, what should we do? What would you all do? :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Firstly well done for taking in this dog and looking after him. I had a similar situation a few years ago. Like you I contact the guards, local vets and I also notified the pound (not sure if you have done this from your post).

I am surprised at the number of people who dont know where to start to look when they loose a dog. Some want their dog back but look in the right places, some think they have just gone for a bit of a wander and will turn up eventually and others arent really that bothered if they dont turn up at all. I know you rang Guards, rescues etc and placed online notices but did you put up notices in shops, vets lamp posts, et? Many people would not have access to the internet and wouldnt be familiar with the various doggy forums, sites etc. I would not assume that just because no one has claimed the dog yet they are uncaring owners - just not well informed!

In my siutation It took over a week for a person who lives relatively close to claim his dog. We had started vacs for the dog as we were hoping that if no one claimed him we could get him into a rescue and at least the vac process was started. The owner contacted after hearing by word of mouth that we had the dog. We sort of know them - but not their dogs and we were happy to give the dog back. We also gave the vac card to the owner and in error, honestly, we left the vet receipt in it. The owner very kindly refunded us the fee.

You are obliged to inform the pound that you have found a dog - but you are not obliged to surrender it to the pound. I think notifying the guards may also suffice as notification of a found dog. Make sure you tell the pound that you have notified the guards and on what day. The pound will then be able to tell you when the dogs stray time commences and ends (five days) if no one has approached you or the pound in that time you may apply to adopt the dog via the pound - even though its not in there. I would for the sake of honestly also advised the pound that you have been advised via f/b that the dogs owner has been advised that you have the dog but has not yet contacted you - I take you have no contact for the owner.

Hope thats helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi, I just rang the pound to inform them about the dog and I said that we are not taking him in but gave the description etc. The lady then made it clear that I must bring him in and that he will not be put to sleep but that they will mind him for the 5 days and if nobody claims him then we can come back in with a license and keep him forever by law, and without the owners ever taking him back even in court.

The interesting bit is...the lady said the dogs sibling is in there since the 7th and they have the owners number but he will not answer the phone and they have left so many messages.

Yesterday, I went to get the photos of him developed to put them up around the town but for some reason they didnt copy on to the SD card.

The lady in the dog shelter also said that they dont put the dogs down unless they are aggressive or teminally ill. I am so confused. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Section 13 of the Control of Dogs Act 1986 is copied below/ Section 13(1)(c) is particularly relevant nowwhere does it state you have to hand the dog over.

Sometimes those working in the pound arent as familar with the legislation as they deal with the "norm" i.e. people usually hand the dog over and then either walk away or adopt and they then assume that this is the position. I suggest you refer them, nicely and respectfully to the relevant part of the legislation, give them the full info and photo of the dog and then say that its better that the dog isnt using up their resources and you are very willing to mind and adopt the dog, through them after its stray time is up.

Some dog pounds are very willing to work with the public to help the dogs but some arent.

Dog Pounds are not to be confused with Dog Shelters. Dog pounds eventually fill up and those in longest are pts - even with the best dog warden/staff - the job of the pound is to manage the stray and unwanted dog population. They can never give a guarantee that a dog wont be pts - even the best of them just hope they can promote it or work with a rescue that can take it.

13.—(1) Any person, other than a dog warden or a member of the Garda Síochána, who finds and takes possession of a stray dog shall, forthwith—
    (a) return the dog to its owner, or
    (b) deliver the dog to a dog warden, or
    (c) detain the dog and give notice in writing containing a description of the dog, the address of the place where it was found, and the address of the place where it is detained to the member in charge at the nearest Garda Station to the place where the dog was found, or to a dog warden.
    (2) In particular and without prejudice to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, where any person has reasonable grounds for believing that a stray dog has worried or is about to worry livestock, such person may seize the dog and shall forthwith deliver it to a dog warden.
    (3) Where a person has found a stray dog and has retained possession of the dog for a year after the date on which he gave the notice referred to in subsection (1) of this section, and the dog has not been claimed by its owner within that year, such person shall become the owner of the dog and the title of the former owner to the dog shall be extinguished.
    (4) Subsection (3) of this section shall not apply if, during the period of a year specified in that subsection, the person who found the dog has ascertained who is the owner of the dog, whereupon such person shall notify the owner that the dog is in his possesion and that the dog can be collected from him.
    (5) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 2 of this Act, a person who is not the holder of a general dog licence and who detains a stray dog pursuant to this section shall not be required to obtain a dog licence relating to that dog until he has kept the dog in his possession for a period of not less than twenty-eight days, and the said section 2 shall be construed and have effect accordingly.

13.—(1) Any person, other than a dog warden or a member of the Garda Síochána, who finds and takes possession of a stray dog shall, forthwith—
    (c) detain the dog and give notice in writing containing a description of the dog, the address of the place where it was found, and the address of the place where it is detained to the member in charge at the nearest Garda Station to the place where the dog was found, or to a dog warden.
    (2) In particular and without prejudice to the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, where any person has reasonable grounds for believing that a stray dog has worried or is about to worry livestock, such person may seize the dog and shall forthwith deliver it to a dog warden.
    (3) Where a person has found a stray dog and has retained possession of the dog for a year after the date on which he gave the notice referred to in subsection (1) of this section, and the dog has not been claimed by its owner within that year, such person shall become the owner of the dog and the title of the former owner to the dog shall be extinguished.
    (4) Subsection (3) of this section shall not apply if, during the period of a year specified in that subsection, the person who found the dog has ascertained who is the owner of the dog, whereupon such person shall notify the owner that the dog is in his possesion and that the dog can be collected from him.
    (5) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 2 of this Act, a person who is not the holder of a general dog licence and who detains a stray dog pursuant to this section shall not be required to obtain a dog licence relating to that dog until he has kept the dog in his possession for a period of not less than twenty-eight days, and the said section 2 shall be construed and have effect accordingly.

Again, hope this is helpful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

What kind of dog is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Private Piles

Ha I arrived on to this forum to post an identical story to yours!!

Are you considering keeping the dog after the five days in the pound? You sound like you truly care about his welfare, he's a lucky doggie you guys found him! If not, maybe you could foster him and ask the GSPCA or Madra to advertise him for permanent adoption? Could take a while to find somebody though. Sorry for posting my own story below, but as it's the same as yours, no point starting another thread.

(Yesterday while I was at work, my partner was at home, he opened the front door to go out to the car and there was a little female Jack Russell X puppy sitting on the step!
    He stayed with it and looked up and down the street for a while but there was nobody around, so took her into the house.
    We already have two other rescued JR X, also females, so it's such a weird coincidence that another one just appeared on our door step! Although maybe she was able to smell the other two dogs?
    We washed her, fed her, etc and she's getting on great, playing with our dogs. Have temporally named her Millie.)
    The thing is, like you, it's the effort that is put in by the owner to find the dog that concerns me. This is a tiny shoe-sized puppy that was just sitting on our doorstep, it doesn't belong to anybody on our street, so how far did it travel? And who lets a puppy wander off on it's own, considering we live on a seriously busy, dangerous main road?

For those reasons alone, I think she is better off with us, but the question I wanted to ask people was;

Do you think it's better for us NOT to advertise on pet sites, GSPCA fb page, etc, that we found the puppy?
    I was thinking that we should wait and see if the owner posts on those types of sites, and to keep checking the local shops daily for posters.
    I do think a genuinely distraught pet owner would do anything to find their pet.I would love nothing more than to reunite her with an owner who has been desperately missing her, but no way am I handing her back to somebody who only half-heartily cares about her. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

My head is hurting from the sun & all those subsections!
    Anyone else bitten alive by out Mosquitos :(

I think the OP s issue really is do they want a(nother) dog. If the sibling of the one they have found is in the pound & the owners know & havn't reclaimed it; and have now " lost" another then it begins to smell a bit fishy.
    Thou I totally agree at the second posters point about people who dont have access to the Internet/ know computers who would be looking in shops & on lampposts for ye-olde-fashioned signs.

I would suggest that if they came to pick their dog up you ask the vets fee ; Tis reasonable , but by the sounds of it I'd be prepared to not have it reimbursed :(

I suppose if you don't want an impromptu pet you could go down to who-ever is supposed to own it & knock on their door & nicely ask.
    Maybe they're sick or can't afford the dog anymore; maybe they have other stuff going on & its handy for them not to have to worry about their dog for a bit ; who knows ? but there's one way to find out . ( & I'd bring a witness just in case!)
    If they say they dont want it back you can say you'll be back next week to check & give them time to think it through ; & do : & when there ask for it in writing & get your " friend" to witness it. You'd be a but covered then if things should ever get a bit hairy.

Might be they dont want the dog back - or it's not actually theirs just a lookalike - in which case you have the lampposts option; the foster it for a while & see option; or the hand it into a pound & risk the 5 day deathsquad option, or find a place that will " shelter" & rehome. Or perhaps you could ask a shelter to rehome it & offer to foster while they look.. Starts the ball rolling ... In the meantime if it's owner turns up it is happy and healthy & being fed & looked after in safety in the meantime.
    I know what I'd prefer for my dog if it was lost. ( but as you say I'd be out with a truckfull of dead smelly chickens looking for it!)

It's an interesting quandary.
    I found a georgous puppy lab who followed me & a lady around the park for a bout two hours one bad rainy day: I'd thought it was hers & she mine. One trip to the vet to have it's chip checked ( none) one asking the vet if they could mind it ( em; sorry no!) and there I was...left holding the " baby"! I was so sure I'd find it's owner : it was just georgous with a big lick and long waggy tail & so good... But the owner never turned up. So sad for it :( it was such a loving friendly trusting lost little thing. " we" decided to get it into a foster place while we waited for the owner to turn up ... The lab rescue place had a list of screened foster homes wanting & waiting for a pup ... Off it went with it's little bag packed & lived happily ever after : )

I sometimes wonder WHO could do that to a little puppy but the vet said that I was the sixth or seventh in that week ... He suspected they were all " Christmas" pups :( so sad.

Anyway; to the other JR poster I suspect there is a breeder in your area it someone who knows you are ( also!) a kind soul and they are " depositing" the pups on your doorstep!!!!

Or maybe it's all just good dog karma! And they " know!" and are choosing & adopting us!!!!

Let us know what happens!! : )
    & fair dues to you both : isn't it cold & miserable out there : what s a wet hungry sick dog got if they can't hope that the doorstep that they stop to sit at will open to somewhere warm & safe with food & some love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

It was a very stressful week, I was actually in tears on Friday because I didn't know what to do anymore. I didn't want to put him in the shelter and I couldn't keep him so we were going to foster him and find him a loving home.

That day whilst I had him down at the beach, a few local surfers fell in love with him and kids just approached and rubbed him and he didn't budge. He's a big dog, he has a St. bernards face and ears but an akitas body so he's a cross breed of some sorts.

That evening, I got a text saying thank you and that they'll go to the pound and sort it from here (the owner, he thought both the dogs were in the shelter). We then arranged for the dog to be collected.

The owner asked "since when did you have him?", we answered "Monday", then the owner said "oh yeah, because he's been gone since then". Total lie! We heard from locals near our house and where we found him, saying he's been roaming for days. He was a bit underweight and the skin infection at the testicular area was caused from chafing/friction from salty sea water, rain, sand and dirt.

We showed him the vet bill and said we are broke, we really need it back, he said he'd call this week which we seriously doubt it (if you guys met him, you'd think the same). In the end I dont mind as long as the medication is been given to the dog (in one day, it made a difference to the poor guy so it must continue). I asked the owner has he ever given meds before to the dogs, he said no. I tried to explain how you do it.

The guy was eager to go. When the dog saw him at first, he was happy but the owners friend just grabbed the dog by the scruff and shoved him in the boot of a small ford focas. That annoyed me, there was no need to be that rough (plus I didnt get to say goodbye).

They just left then. That was it.
    The following day, I tried to ring the shelter several times to let her know what happened, couldn't get through plus I got a phone call from a friend saying there's 3 homes for the dog...3 local guys wanted him after they had heard about him and seen him.

One guy had a farm in Carlow, and two others were local surfers. I honestly think the dog would be better off with the surfers or farmer, I can see him having an active life and relaxing at the clubs and at the beach with many people petting him. Shame really.

Sorry all this was very long but I needed to tell you everything. I just want to thank you all for your help and support. That is very interesting about the law, and not having to bring the dog in. I will print that off for definite. Also, such happy stories about the puppy JR and lab puppy. That is so nice of you.

Now, we are looking at the dog shelter updates and plan to rescue a small to medium young dog, max size - spaniel. Max age -a few months, less than a year. We think a younger one will get use to our cat better and vice versa.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Advertisement