Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone drive trucks long distance?

• 17-08-2012 10:19am

So they say the best gift to give someone is Time.

With that in mind when a close friend of mine some time ago expressed worries over going on a Three Week Honeymoon and the loss of earnings and customer satisfaction it would cause his Truck Driving Business I resolved and promised instantly that my wedding gift to him was going to be to obtain a Truck Driving License and so cover him for some or all of the time he was away.

I start tomorrow. Two weeks on the road. Two weeks off work. Destination unknown but "East". Finally all that "grass" my Vipasanna students have bene gifting me on the side will have a use - keeping me company.

Any advice, experience, input or usual After Hours Pureile jokes and nonsense requested and appreciated as I sit here finishing up a few loose ends in work before I go. Nothing too obvious though and to pre-empt the most obvious After Hours style comment...... no I wont be picking up hitchikers and having them pay me for the journey in blow jobs and/or other sexual favors :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

So they say the best gift to give someone is Time.

With that in mind when a close friend of mine some time ago expressed worries over going on a Three Week Honeymoon and the loss of earnings and customer satisfaction it would cause his Truck Driving Business I resolved and promised instantly that my wedding gift to him was going to be to obtain a Truck Driving License and so cover him for some or all of the time he was away.

I start tomorrow. Two weeks on the road. Two weeks off work. Destination unknown but "East". Finally all that "grass" my Vipasanna students have bene gifting me on the side will have a use - keeping me company.

Any advice, experience, input or usual After Hours Pureile jokes and nonsense requested and appreciated as I sit here finishing up a few loose ends in work before I go. Nothing too obvious though and to pre-empt the most obvious After Hours style comment...... no I wont be picking up hitchikers and having them pay me for the journey in blow jobs and/or other sexual favors :)

Why not??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Why not??

yeah why not? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Sounds like a bit of fun really. Enjoy the experience.

Why not??

id say he's happy enough with the gfs?

driving a truck for someone for 2 weeks, that's some gift all right

Why not??
    davet82 wrote: »
    yeah why not? :confused:

I am in a relationship and am one of those annoying and inexplicable people who insist on staying loyal in it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Buford Tannen

Dont forget to murder a few prostitutes along the way

I am in a relationship and am one of those annoying and inexplicable people who insist on staying loyal in it :)

eh ever hear of the different area codes rule??? :rolleyes:

davet82 wrote: »
    eh ever hear of the different area codes rule??? :rolleyes:

Given the girls travel more than I do these days it is not really a rule I would benefit greatly from :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Watch that simpsons episode where Homer becomes a truck driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Don't take up both sides of the fcuking road like the rest of them.

• Advertisement

Watch that simpsons episode where Homer becomes a truck driver.

I might just do that. Any idea on a season and episode number so that I can download it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Just make sure you get a more accurate destination than EAST before you set off. Hauliers don't tend to last long, when their drivers go missing with the goods.

well i hope you got your tatoos done and stuck your right arm into a tanning booth for a couple of hours so you'll fit in with the other drivers, also buy jeans two sizes too big so the crack of your arse will show and dont forget the cap.

best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I might just do that. Any idea on a season and episode number so that I can download it?

Season 10 Episode 17. I wont specify any particular streaming site though :o

Season 10 Episode 17. I wont specify any particular streaming site though :o

No thats all good. Torrents are my forte :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Have you read up on driving hours and required rest?

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Have you read up on driving hours and required rest?

Yeah, for insurance reasons he has one of those wonderful machines installed that informs you when you have been driving too long etc etc. Though I know there are ways to dick with it, I likely wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Yeah, for insurance reasons he has one of those wonderful machines installed that informs you when you have been driving too long etc etc. Though I know there are ways to dick with it, I likely wont.
    Think you mean a digital tachograph, wise move not to dick about with it.
    If you are getting the ferry remember you have to set it to show that you are travelling by boat.

Keep an eye on your weight too if you are driving a twin axle tractor unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Think you mean a digital tachograph, wise move not to dick about with it.
    If you are getting the ferry remember you have to set it to show that you are travelling by boat.

Keep an eye on your weight too if you are driving a twin axle tractor unit.

i would have thought modern trucks are well capable of handling even the most overweight of drivers.

No yorkie bars on this trip for me so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

That sounds brilliant. Two weeks of blow jobs and a bit of driving too.

Wohoo - I did not crash.

Wohoo - I did not crash.

So how many blowjobs did you get? ;)

None until I got back home :)

None until I got back home :)

tut tut tut... what a waste... :P

anyways congrats on getting back in one peice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

How many dead hookers?

Where/how far did you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Wohoo - I did not crash.

Just to say you are a top bloke for doing this for your mate, most creative wedding present I've heard of in a long time.
    They'll remember that a lot longer than than some cash in an envelope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Just to say you are a top bloke for doing this for your mate, most creative wedding present I've heard of in a long time.
    They'll remember that a lot longer than than some cash in an envelope.

Or he'll be a cnut and think the OP is just cheap even though he did do one of the best favours I've heard of for a friend.

Good on ya Tax...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I would love to get the heavy good licence .How much does it cost to train and where please ? You seem confident to get it in 2 weeks .Is it that easy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

anto9 wrote: »
    I would love to get the heavy good licence .How much does it cost to train and where please ? You seem confident to get it in 2 weeks .Is it that easy ?

It was a while back that he said he'd do it. Not 2 weeks ago.

Oh no, I was not meant to give that impression. No I was working on it for a lot longer than that. Your best bet is to contact your local driving school for details and prices as I gather it can be quite varied and I have no exact idea what it cost me over the time I did it. I just paid as I went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Where did you go OP and tell us your tales of the hidden world of long distant truck driving and not that boring RTE crap we seen :-)

No where too exciting as it happened. A lot of transferring things to and from companies east of here - like poland - where companies that were once Irish based moved in order to avail of cheaper rents, taxes and wages. There was no exciting tales or adventures to tell really though the other drivers I met on truck stops and rest stops along the way mostly seemed to be genuine and nice people.

Many of them seemed to have a dream or a plan towards which working as a truck driver was only a temporary measure. I imagine it is a soul destroying and lonely job to do long term so I can see why many people would dream of getting out of it again. I hope they can get where they really want to be.

Though some people seemed to love the job too and were happy to stay in it - this was far from the norm I saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Covert "how to abduct hookers for dummies" thread spotted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No where too exciting as it happened. A lot of transferring things to and from companies east of here - like poland - where companies that were once Irish based moved in order to avail of cheaper rents, taxes and wages. There was no exciting tales or adventures to tell really though the other drivers I met on truck stops and rest stops along the way mostly seemed to be genuine and nice people.

Many of them seemed to have a dream or a plan towards which working as a truck driver was only a temporary measure. I imagine it is a soul destroying and lonely job to do long term so I can see why many people would dream of getting out of it again. I hope they can get where they really want to be.

Though some people seemed to love the job too and were happy to stay in it - this was far from the norm I saw.

Thanks for updating us, fair play to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

a couple of grand........:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

How long would it take to get the licence, knowing this country I would say months.

I spread the cost and time over quite an extended period so to be honest my figures and facts would be vague and useless at best. Those interested would be best off approaching a Driving School and asking themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Colmustard wrote: »
    How long would it take to get the licence, knowing this country I would say months.

well, you need a car licence first (B), then rigid truck (C) and then onto artic truck (EC) ....with loads of cpc and theory shyte in between.....it could take ages and lots of cash

• Advertisement
Advertisement