Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband 50mb showing as 20mb

• 17-08-2012 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Dont know what to think on this. I pay for 50mb broadband with UPC. I am only ever getting 20mb speed. I rang UPC and they said that 20mb is the max if you are working on a wireless connection. All my connections to the UPC router are wireless, nothing is directly connnected.

Is this correct? Can I play around with any settings to improve this? My point is that if I cant get over 20mb, I may as well pay for 25mb broadband instead of 50mb.

Apologies if this has been discussed before as cant find anything recent on it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Big Lar

You could get another wireless access point and connect it to the Ethernet port of the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭loup

Thanks Big Lar..as in get another type of wireless modem and attach to the the ethernet port on router? The one UPC put in for me yesterday is supposed to be the best (?) a Cisco EPC3925 one (bridged to Netgear router).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

loup wrote: »
    Thanks Big Lar..as in get another type of wireless modem and attach to the the ethernet port on router? The one UPC put in for me yesterday is supposed to be the best (?) a Cisco EPC3925 one (bridged to Netgear router).

Did they bridge for you?

A: Normally the wont, and B: that kills the phone line.

The 3925 is muck btw. Pure shíte. Them being stingy as can be.

If you use wireless N and your devices support it you *could* get full usage of it, but 25 meg is probably enough. The thing is you will be getting your full 6 odd up right now, changing down will only give you 3 up. For light users this isnt a problem though.

ED E wrote: »
    Did they bridge for you?

A: Normally the wont, and B: that kills the phone line.

The 3925 is muck btw. Pure shíte. Them being stingy as can be.

If you use wireless N and your devices support it you *could* get full usage of it, but 25 meg is probably enough. The thing is you will be getting your full 6 odd up right now, changing down will only give you 3 up. For light users this isnt a problem though.

yes they bridged the 2 for me..hopefully phone wont be affected as i have 2 lines coming in! :-) Is my only option to direct connect with ethernet?

yes they bridged the 2 for me..hopefully phone wont be affected as i have 2 lines coming in! :-) Is my only option to direct connect with ethernet?

No, if your netgear router has wireless N then you can do 100mbps or 300mps(compared to 54) BUT only if you only connect devices that support N. As soon as an old device connects it will go straight back to slow.

• Advertisement

Just got this when I tried to set the Mode to 145Bps. Not sure what that means!:D

Just got this when I tried to set the Mode to 145Bps. Not sure what that means!:D

You need to change the security settings to enable 145, just find the AES profile in the same page as you set the password.

Thanks tried that (ie switched Security options to WPA2-PSK [AES]) however then my laptop wasnt able to connect to it at all. Its a fairly new Sony Vaio so I might look into the network settings on that to see why.My Ipad was able to connect no problem and i got 30mbs speed..a great increase on 20!

Your laptop is just assuming TKIP. Delete the profile("forget network") and just add it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donnamw

Hi I too have "upgraded" to UPC 50mb and have had nothing but problems since....I have had 4 different engineers out to the house to try to get my speed upto 50mb and I have spent hours on the phone to UPC tech support. Wirelessly my son (who has a newer laptop) gets 35mbs which isn't bad but I can't get signal upstairs...unfortunately the UPC guy took my old modem and I'm now told that if I downgrade they will still leave me with this crappy Cisco thing....I'm thinking of quitting UPC for good, tv, phone & broadband. Has anyone any advice on a better broadband provider???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

donnamw wrote: »
    Has anyone any advice on a better broadband provider???

There simply isn't a better provider and won't ever be one until fibre is rolled out nationwide

Advertisement