Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can someone explain Arts to me?

• 17-08-2012 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Ive wanted to study mathematics through science in UCD for a long time.unfortunately i didnt get the points on wednesday for Science.
    I might however be able to do maths through an arts degree.I dont understand the difference though. Does doing maths through arts give me less opportunities ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

Why not Maths through Science in DCU or DIT instead? Maths through Arts is only good if you want to be a secondary school Maths teacher. You spend minimal time studying actual Maths modules and you get such a narrow perspective of Maths from an Arts degree than you would from a Science degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fhfm

I have maths in dcu and maynooth down. I got the points for them.10 above dcu last year and 25 above maynooth last year. All this talk about science points increasing dramatically is scaring me though so im just looking at what other options i have.
    Hmm arts isnt looking very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

KKBL wrote: »
    Why not Maths through Science in DCU or DIT instead? Maths through Arts is only good if you want to be a secondary school Maths teacher. You spend minimal time studying actual Maths modules and you get such a narrow perspective of Maths from an Arts degree than you would from a Science degree.
    Hey OP. I only can help in reference to maths through arts in NUIM, but I assume it is similar in most colleges. Obviously, studying maths through arts will mean you do slightly less maths overall than someone studying it through science, purely because science is 4 years & arts is 3 years. However, I know in Maynooth that you can take pure maths in third year of the BA (and possibly second year too actually, but I'm not certain), which would leave you in the same position as anyone else with a maths degree upon graduating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Maths through Arts varies depending on the college. Some are 3 year courses, others are 4.

The main difference between Maths through Arts and Maths through Science (aside from course duration), is the combination of extra modules alongside Maths. Through Arts, you could be studying French, Business or History alongside Maths. Through Science, you could be studying Biology, Chemistry or Physics.

Most people do choose Maths through Arts for secondary school teaching, but a lot also choose Maths through Arts in order to have a joint degree in a language and Maths.

Advertisement