Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year house was built

Options
  • 17-08-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi

Could anyone tell me how do you find out what year a house was built. I am living in an old house and trying to find out exactly what year it was built for insurance purposes.

Regards,

Maggie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

If its built within the last 30 or so years, the planning office at your local council should have records.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MaggieMc74

Hi

No, its verging on the 100 years I would say, but I want to find out exactly what year.

Thanks anyways

Regards

Maggie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Isn't it on the deeds? If you're living in an area with similar houses, ask your neighbours. Or can you go by the style of architecture or any original features? My house was built in the 40s and has drainpipes made of something specific to that time (can't remember what it is offhand).

The bank has the deeds as there is a mortgage on the property. I am looking for more exact age, the neighbours vary about twenty to thirty years in putting a year on the building of these houses.

Thanks anyways

Regards,

Maggie

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

You could try the land registry, not sure how good their coverage is for buildings over 100 years though! http://www.landregistry.ie

• Advertisement

Hi

I was just onto the register of deeds unfortunately they can't help

Regards,

Maggie

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mished

I have the same problem, tried the local council who built the house but their records don't show it ! I gave them the folio numbers and they couldn't find it from them either. My neighbors vary in 30/40 years, some dating it back to the late 1800's I contacted my mortgage company and they charged 60 euro to check the deed but also came back with no answer. so my insurance policy says around 1900's
    I've not heard of any other way to find out for sure.:confused:

Advertisement