Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway - best places in Galway?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hi there,

Looking to move to county galway with our family.....somewhere not too far from the city (withing 30mins)
    friendly
    family orientated
    community focused
    scenic area
    number of activities available - sports and music
    near sea or lake

any ideas of good community areas for young families in galway?

thank you
    NB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

You better have mega euros all the time if you want near sea or lake. You are looking at Loughrea in towards Galway. Barna is as far out to go in Connemara. Avoid Tuam at all costs. Headford could be good but it might be beyond 30 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

Tuam is one of the nicest friendliest places in Galway fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

eeinke wrote: »
    Hi there,

Looking to move to county galway with our family.....somewhere not too far from the city (withing 30mins)
    friendly
    family orientated
    community focused
    scenic area
    number of activities available - sports and music
    near sea or lake

thank you
    NB
    Loughrea sounds ideal. Regularly bring the toddler to the playground there beside the lake . It's BEAUTIFUL on a sunny day. Nice selection of pubs and restaurants too

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭nacimroc

I'm not from there but Kinvara sounds like it ticks all the boxes. Nowhere is too high cost these days so it may be affordable.

Shakti wrote: »
    Tuam is one of the nicest friendliest places in Galway fact.
    Opinion actually.

• Advertisement

informed opinion actually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Tuam is a grand place to live, good schools, nice pubs and with the same mix of folks as anywhere else in Galway.

But if you are working in Galway it is a traffic nightmare and during morning and evening rush-hour >30 min from Galway.

There is some great value to be had in houses all over the county, so I would not rule out any particular area immediately. It all depends on your preferences really.

Some of the smaller villages have a lot to offer as well if you are open to the benefits and trials of country living :-) Also, if you are into sports, pick your parish carefully as there are many dominated by football or hurling, if you have very sporty kids, you could not go far wrong with Monivea-Abbey area.

Shakti wrote: »
    informed opinion actually
    So you've changed your fact to informed opinion. LMAO. Actually it's just an opinion the same as mine. I hope the OP doesn't learn the hard way that mine is accurate.

wotteva,
    If you've got something against Tuam just come out and say it, instead of slagging the place off, fact is Tuam is an awesome place full of awesome people you having a bad experience of it (I'm sorry to hear) wont change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 bigfluffycloud

Can recommend headford even though its about 20km from city, it has several preschool/montessori options, several primary schools, a secondary school, plenty of sports options for kids, teenagers & adults alike. A playground, supermarket. 5 mins drive to the lake, fishing & kayaking facilities. Pubs are decent. I am not originally from here, but havent looked back after moving from Dublin with 2 toddlers about 4 years ago :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Loughrea has a lake plus good schools and sports etc house prices there not too bad
    Athenry also not a bad little town

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eeinke

Thank you all for your suggestions....Tuam, Loughrea, Headford, Kinvara.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Just a few suggetsions that we looked at & experienced when moving to Galway.

Oranmore & Maree are beside the sea, plenty of schools around and Renville Park is a great leisure facility for families. Ususally there are homes available to rent, though I would suggest that some of the holiday homes in Renville Village are not best suited for families in winter. We'd an expensive experience trying to keep heat in a home there with young kids.

Clarinbridge / Kilcolgan and surrounding areas are near the sea too and again have close access to Kilcornan woods. Kids love it.

All are easily commutable to Galway too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Moycullen would be ideal (and I dont live in Moycullen)
    Near Lough Corrib.
    Near the sea (Spiddal).
    Good sports - GAA club has both senior football and hurling. Basketball.
    Salthill Devon close too.
    Traffic to Galway is much better than other routes - 6 miles to city
    Good schools.
    Good pubs.
    In Connemara before you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

OP you should try Salthill it has everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Same rule as applies for the city ... pick an area on the same side of the Corrib as your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭eeinke

Hi Birroc, Thank you for your suggestion.....its a good location alright but I had heard the traffic was pretty bad from that side of galway? Whats the community like - easy to get to know and fit in?
    Thanking you ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Oranmore;
    Short drive to the City. Also has a bus service but not as regular as the City Buses. Can get a taxi out from the City at night for €15.
    It is a friendly place but you need to be there a few generations to be considered "a local".
    Loads of various community groups and sports organisations.
    Has good shops; Tesco, Lidl, Supervalu, pubs, restaurants, GPs, Dentist.
    Has a 3 Primary Schools and one Secondary School.
    A short spin out and you have Maree. This also has a Primary School.
    The biggest attraction I like about the place is Rinville Park. Great place for walking, running. Has a playground.

I'd live on the same side of the city I work on to keep the commute down.

If you like Guinness - you have McDonaghs Pub aka The Thatch -> That should be a reason itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Hi Birroc, Thank you for your suggestion.....its a good location alright but I had heard the traffic was pretty bad from that side of galway? Whats the community like - easy to get to know and fit in?
    Thanking you ..

N59 traffic is nowhere near as bad as the N17, Spiddal road, Dublin Road etc but if you have to cross the bridge you will hit traffic.

Advertisement