Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Brom V Liverpool - Saturday 18th August 3:00pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Well that was a depression session, all good and well having possession in the first half, did feck all with it! Carragher and Cole should never play again for us in the league, let them be the old heads in Cup matches when the 1st team need a rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Liverpoolfc.com journalists' man of the match: Joe Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Oh well on to the next game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Cruel Sun wrote: »
    Liverpoolfc.com journalists' man of the match: Joe Allen

his replacement (for 2m) at Swansea got off to a cracking start today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

New season, same ol' ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Next week will be real test of where Liverpool are.

I expect Liverpool to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

anyone want to join me for a post match drink to drown our sorrows? ...i was so looking forward to this game but after the first goal went in the same feelings came back like i had last season.

Reina and Joe Allen the only ones who can hold their head high after that game...i know Suarez created chances but he never scored and that is his job to score goals.

Joe Cole i have no idea why he brought him on and the 2 minutes later he is injured yet again...that is more of a worse signing than Andy Carroll at least he tries to contribute.

sorry rant over ****ing pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

gaelicred wrote: »
    Oh well on to the next game

Who's that against ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, o wait,,,,,,,,,:(

Looks like we will have to fight our way up the table from the relegation zone this season, as i truly believe we will be stuck in it after the first 7 games,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Next week will be real test of where Liverpool are.

I expect Liverpool to respond.

With a press release saying sorry to the fans or some such, they are good at that alright

With a press release saying sorry to the fans or some such, they are good at that alright

They have been used to it to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

You missed what happened after the foul?
    yes the replay cut off when they both hit the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

At least this came before the window closes. Yes, it may make Sahin even more reluctant to sign for us, but hopefully it will shatter any illusions that FSG/Rodgers may have about the current bunch and result in more activity in the market. Managers generally learn more about the character of the squad and certain players in defeat rather than victory, or so they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Why did he take Lucas off, it was a shocking desicion unless he was injured, west brom just passed their way through the middle of the park after this, Gerrard need a kick up the arse as well, he showed no heart for the fight today.

How long will joe the donkey be out for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Today was some reality check for all pool fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

As much as it is an awful thing to say, hopefully a long while, a good long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hopefully the season. Offered nothing when he was on. Ten yards behind the play at all times

There is no way we will get him out of the club:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

What? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would it be time to drop Gerrard? Or would that create its own problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Oscorp

Brendan Rodgers:

Penalty decisions were "very harsh."

"Gotta give players credit, they never stopped. Couldn't ask any more of them."

"Reality is we need to score more goals."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What are you on about?

We've been on a reality check since 1990.

Important thing now is the reaction.

All well and good in pre-season, but Brendan Rodgers would have learnt an awful lot about his players today in terms of both their ability and attitude.

Oscorp wrote: »
    Brendan Rodgers:

Penalty decisions were "very harsh."

"Gotta give players credit, they never stopped. Couldn't ask any more of them."

"Reality is we need to score more goals."

Well he couldn't say that we were gash

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Do the lads know it ain't pre-season anymore??

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why did he take Lucas off, it was a shocking desicion unless he was injured, west brom just passed their way through the middle of the park after this, Gerrard need a kick up the arse as well, he showed no heart for the fight today.

Probably took Lucas off as it's his first competitive match after a serious injury and was also on a yellow card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Need a goal scorer badly . Suarez probably the only one with a bit of get up and go is being made look a fool there. The right full looked weak . Glen johnson shouldnt have bothered going forward.
    Downing was invisible. Gerard wishes he was.
    Borini had a few good moments and a few bad. Id say he will improve.
    Rodgers needs support and time and someone to tell him to put suarez in the hole or on the right .
    Carra needs to go to stud.
    Id recomend getting chicorito on loan but dont think thatd happen.
    Lukaku looks great cant understand why he wasnt in ahead of torres at chelsea yet.
    I just hope they give br time and dont start a big we want him out campaign .
    They did have 3 should be a goal chances and a few could be a goal chances and they were all pissed away .
    Back to you eamon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

What? lol

He said today is a reality check for all Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What??

Have you been reading the Liverpool thread at all?

We don't need expectations checked.

• Advertisement

Columbia wrote: »
    He said today is a reality check for all Liverpool fans.

Oh, you need it explained?

Nobody is under any illusion.

So has anybody panicked and changed their FF team yet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

noodler wrote: »
    What??

Have you been reading the Liverpool thread at all?

We don't need expectations checked.

Some do to be fair.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Some do to be fair.

Ah don't be pedantic - his post said all Liverpool fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

"i'd recommend getting chicorito on loan but don't think that'd happen"

hilarious.

Right im going to watch the Toon v Spurs thank god i have a load of booze in the house after today

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Fair play to Steve Clarke all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

noodler wrote: »
    Ah don't be pedantic - his post said all Liverpool fans.

Yeah sorry you're right, it's not as if every single prediction at the start of this thread was for a Liverpool win, most of which mentioned 3, 4, 5 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

On the bright side the only way is up. :D

This is why I love Liverpool threads, heads buried in the sand since the 1980s

Not really i think we are fed up watching us play well against the big teams and playing awful against the smaller teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Some do to be fair.

Yea but he said all ;)

• Advertisement

Im an optomist and we cant play any worse than we did today i hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

This is why I love Liverpool threads, heads buried in the sand since the 1980s

Not really i think we are fed up watching us play well against the big teams and playing awful against the smaller teams
    I bloody hope this statement stands over the next few weeks

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I bloody hope this statement stands over the next few weeks
    From your lips to Gods ears mate

Rodgers has been saying all pre-season that there is a massive task ahead of him/them/us and he knows best having watched them train for a couple of weeks as well as no doubt all last season's games on video. Maybe some people didnt want to listen but they should now and mustnt be surprised. We have (in general) a sound defense, a midfield that struggles to move the ball at pace without losing it and doesnt move enough, no real options on the flanks and forwards whose chance conversion rate is around 5-8%. That is a fact from last season(s) and will not change overnight. Leaving aside some of the hysteria what did we really learn today ? If our defense has a mare we lose as cant compensate by scoring 2/3/4 at the other end; JC should be used very sparingly; the midfield is a WIP and Lucas is still coming back; out wide we have nothing yet and up front we cant finish for toffee. All is not negative - Allen will be a quality player for us, Lucas will get fitter, Borini will settle and Suarez cant miss a half dozen chances every game, Pepe looked back to himself. Surprisingly on the negative side Kelly looked awful and SG had a shocker (perhaps not a surprise after taking Dirky's mantle as chief 'we will get better' cheerleader, and saying he is up to the challenge). Not surprisingly Cole lasted 2 half sprints and Downing went awol.

I am not despondent and while this was a much worse result and performance than I expected, this is a tough league and teams like WBA are always going to be up for the challenge of perch knocking. We werent up to it today - I dont think the manager has changed his assessment of where he is at in terms of the project and where he needs to change/improve. This is not going to be an easy season for the club and realistically a closer challenge for a CL place was always the reality (for me anyway). Its not going to be an easy start to the season for BR but he does deserve better from some of his senior players - maybe Gerrard should just shut up and concentrate on playing - and I do believe he will improve the club. But it is going to take time - maybe some more realise this now. I think we will see a few more new faces come in before the close of the window - and a few out also.

As an aside I think Sterling has to be given a bench place for the next game.

Disappointed but not despondent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Have to give credit to West Brom - their strike force options look really good.

Ok i have to ask but who was your MOTM im going with Allen considering he had to cover Stevie who was dire and Lucas who isnt match fit yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Ok i have to ask but who was your MOTM im going with Allen considering he had to cover Stevie who was dire and Lucas who isnt match fit yet

Shane Long? Most definitely not a Liverpool player.

Fair enough can't argue with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

1st Match thread of the season and nearly 650 posts. We really see which team has the best supporters :D

He is Irish and like him in an Ireland shirt but damn he is a diving ba**ard. After watching the highlights in HD (as opposed to a crap stream) I saw no penalty in that game today. Dowd is a disgrace to humanity.

There was a free out given in the Newcastle game today where the attacker got between the defender and the ball on his blind side, correct decision and should have been the same in our game today imo. But no donkey Dowd somehow imagined a penalty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement