Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weanling Bull Prices

• 17-08-2012 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hello,

I have about 25 Weanling bulls for sale (actually , there between 1 and 2 years).

there are from a dairy herd. All Friesans, weigh about 300-350kg.

nice cattle, from a Dairy Herd, however, they are not castrated.

I brought them to the mart (Mid West), and they were making very bad money.

Can anyone tell me, would they make better money if i castrated them?

Not quiet sure what to do with them now!!

thanks,
    Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

jocotty wrote: »
    Hello,

I have about 25 Weanling bulls for sale (actually , there between 1 and 2 years).

thanks,
    Jo

Put em in feed them get their weights up hopefully the weather will recover and trade will strenghten. After a few weeks, factories will be anxious for stock again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

What was bad money for them.

If you casterate them in two months time they will still be around the same weight and at present these type of bullocks struggle to make beyind 400 euro's
    Due to feed cost this winter there will be no crock of gold at end of the rainbow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

What was bad money for them.

If you casterate them in two months time they will still be around the same weight and at present these type of bullocks struggle to make beyind 400 euro's
    Due to feed cost this winter there will be no crock of gold at end of the rainbow

how much were you getting for them? impossible to say without seeing them but you could be looking at a worse price if weather didn't pick up. To finish them guy will take months of expensive fed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭epfff

jocotty wrote: »
    Hello,

thanks,
    Jo
    Firstly its too late to panic si rule that out.
    Your weight is against you so my advice is take the pain leave as bulls and feed a nice touch of simple barley + mixer for abt 4months then try and find finisher for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

epfff wrote: »
    Firstly its too late to panic si rule that out.
    Your weight is against you so my advice is take the pain leave as bulls and feed a nice touch of simple barley + mixer for abt 4months then try and find finisher for them

outside on grass and 2-3kg's/day by 120 days if you are paying 280/ton it will cost 70-95 euro/head in ration alone ( around 2K for the lot) they will then be between 390-430kgs Weight and time is against you a finisher wants these bulls near 500kgs idealy. He may buy at lower weights but will discount

What are 450 kg fresian bulls making at present jocotty's will not be that weight until christmass or after. I think October/November will be a bloodbath at the marts unless somthing changes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement