Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping and life insurance

Options
  • 17-08-2012 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I had to take out life insurance for my mortgage some years back when I was still smoking, and obviously that affected my premiums.

I've only been vaping a month, so it's early days yet, but I was wondering if any of you who have been vaping/not smoking for a year or so have asked for a reduction in your premiums?

At the time I was getting the life insurance, they said if I was off cigarettes for 12 months, there'd be a reduction. However I seem to remember that they can test you for nicotine to "prove" you're not smoking. If you're still vaping nicotine, I presume that would show in your blood tests, so what would happen there?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that kinda thing will take a long time I imagine before you'd get a reduction in premiums. it'll need years of medical studies on ecigs and vapers before the insurance companies will be willing to see reason on the issue.

no harm in asking I guess, unless they view ecigs are some sort of horrible untested thing that they could use as an excuse to increase your premium :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Thoie wrote: »
    I had to take out life insurance for my mortgage some years back when I was still smoking, and obviously that affected my premiums.

I've only been vaping a month, so it's early days yet, but I was wondering if any of you who have been vaping/not smoking for a year or so have asked for a reduction in your premiums?

At the time I was getting the life insurance, they said if I was off cigarettes for 12 months, there'd be a reduction. However I seem to remember that they can test you for nicotine to "prove" you're not smoking. If you're still vaping nicotine, I presume that would show in your blood tests, so what would happen there?

I read in another forum before that you are still classed as a smoker as its nicotine they test for.

There might be something about it in their in their terms and conditions if you have a magnifying glass good enough to read them with :D

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭unblvlblkult

Myself and my partner applied for a new life assuarance policy recently. We haven't been off the smokes for more than 12 months either so put down a yes to the question asking if we smoked. Diveided our once daily habit in half though to relect the time we'd spent not smoking cigarettes.
    Testing for nicotine isn't really an accurate test either way as a non-smoker could be using some other form of nicotine replacement therapy and nicotine has not been shown to be particularly harmful. A test for carbon monoxide levels would be much more useful to insurance companies as this is what really damages the cardiovascular system.

Anyway, admitting to smoking in teh past 12 months all but doubled our monthly premium and we intend to revisit this once we've been off the smokes for the 12 months

Advertisement