Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pussy Riot

• 17-08-2012 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭

Who copied who? They look like the female Russian rubber bandits!

Comments

Who cares? Get back to your study.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

rubberbandits have been doing their thing for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Be in a good mood! I'm having a break :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

In Soviet Russia sentence backwards something something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In Russia Pussy Riot Are Guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I thought title said Pussy Rot....................Disapointed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I saw Madonna on telly last night with Pussy Riot written on her back.

I thought she was gonna expose something else after her boob show a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't remember the rubbe bandits every doing a protest song or challenging anything?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

The best thing about this whole debacle has been watching starched collared newsreaders and stuffy political analysts squirm and try to avoid the gratuitous use of the word pussy on the six one news...

For that alone they should go free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I recall when Sex Pistols was a challenge!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mike65 wrote: »
    I recall when Sex Pistols was a challenge!

If you recall the Sex Pistols, your too old for Pussy Riots! :p

Me too! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Does anyone find the masks a little eerie?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I don't remember the rubbe bandits every doing a protest song or challenging anything?

They gave boy racers a run for their money with "Horse Outside".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

They were just found guilty. I wonder what would happen if they had tried this in Ireland at a mosque or synagogue or other non-christian place of worship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Morlar wrote: »
    They were just found guilty. I wonder what would happen if they had tried this in Ireland at a mosque or synagogue or other non-christian place of worship.

I wonder to.

Probably incitement to hatred and slapped on the wrist and told to get on their way.

But it is serious what they did, its not all about the despotic Putin.

I hope those clothes keep them warm in the Gulag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

The pussy's got their cumuppances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Free the Pussy 3

Might be found guilty (if the disturbance is bad enough) of breach of the peace?

Biggins wrote: »
    Might be found guilty (if the disturbance is bad enough) of breach of the peace?

If some Palestinian rights protestors broke into a synagogue in Dublin and sang a profanity laced song offensive to the worshippers regarding support for israel then I think 'breach of peace' would be getting off extremely lightly. Could be wrong but I am pretty sure they'd be looking at jailtime in Ireland for that 'incitement to hatred' / 'hate crime' type stuff. In any event I doubt the media and likes of Madonna would rush to their defence in a non-christian equivalent of the same.

They sang the song in a cathedral during a religious ceronmony so there was an incitement to hatred.

It was a serious crime, its not all about the cutn Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Just seen that Garry Kasparov has been arrested outside the trial. If you don't believe me then check mate

Colmustard wrote: »
    They sang the song in a cathedral during a religious ceronmony so there was an incitement to hatred.

It was a serious crime, its not all about the cutn Putin.

They could sing a song of protest about Putin at a bar - would that make them guilty of incitement to hatred to drink?

Open your eyes.
    They chose the church because it was an area that would give them publicity and had a large gathering.

It had nothing to do with religious hatred. Thats just the charge used to jail them.
    They also did not utter one word of any hatred speech towards any religion by the way.
    Anyone that is daft enough to think they are involved in "religious hatred" is blind and ignorant of many facts.

...And yes, it was all about Putin!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

The little I know is the Orthodox Church in Russia has backed Putin all the way.
    The protest in the church was directed at Putin.
    This event just shows how fragile Democracy is in Russia.

They could sing a song of protest about Putin at a bar - would that make them guilty of incitement to hatred to drink?

Open your eyes.
    They chose the church because it was an area that would give them publicity and had a large gathering.

It hand nothing to do with religious hatred. Thats just the charge used to jail them.
    They also did not utter one word of any hatred speech towards any religion by the way.

There is a fundamental difference between a commercial enterprise/pub/restaurant and a place of worship in the middle of a religious ceremony, equating the two is disingenous imo.

They chose to interfere with a religous ceremony & it's worshippers at a church.

I think it is a valid question : if they had done exactly the same in Dublin today, at a Non-Christian place of worship in the middle of a ceremony, for example . . . a pro-Palestinian protest against Israel during a religuos ceremony at a synagogue laced with profanities all wearing facemasks etc . . . . what do you honestly think would happen to them then ?

Open your eyes.

It had nothing to do with religious hatred. Thats just the charge used to jail them.
    Anyone that is daft enough to think they are involved in "religious hatred" is blind and ignorant of many facts.

It was still disrespectful of the worshippers. They chose to upset some worshippers for publicity, they got that, but they still committed the crime.

Picture a scantily clad band going into the Prop cathedral during a Sunday mass and singing an anti Enda song.

They would be done and IMO rightly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Wouldn't mind been in the middle of a pussy riot myself at the moment, and I'm talking about felines either

It was still disrespectful of the worshippers. They chose to upset some worshippers for publicity, they got that, but they still committed the crime.

Picture a scantily clad band going into the Prop cathedral during a Sunday mass and singing an anti Enda song.

They would be done and IMO rightly so.

It might have been disrespectful of the worshippers - they might have decided to protest during a religious moment - however the very facts is that they DID NOT say anything that espoused they were inciting hatred towards religion.

They were actually protesting against Putin inserting himself and abusing religious orders to get his way.
    They were by effect, standing up for religion - not espousing hatred of it.

Go actually learn the facts and/or listen to their very words.

Anyone that says they were guilty of religious hatred is bloody uneducated idiot!
    A person devoid of the actual facts or one that refuses to actually look at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

There is a fundamental difference between a commercial enterprise/pub/restaurant and a place of worship in the middle of a religious ceremony, equating the two is disingenous imo.

They chose to interfere with a religous ceremony & it's worshippers at a church.

I think it is a valid question : if they had done exactly the same in Dublin today, at a Non-Christian place of worship in the middle of a ceremony, for example . . . a pro-Palestinian protest against Israel during a religuos ceremony at a synagogue laced with profanities all wearing facemasks etc . . . . what do you honestly think would happen to them then ?

They were not attacking any minorities. If a group of Palestinians (not white Irish students) held a protest at a synagogue I'd imagine that not very much would happen and I doubt they would go to jail.

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    They were not attacking any minorities. If a group of Palestinians (not white Irish students) held a protest at a synagogue I'd imagine that not very much would happen and I doubt they would go to jail.

Except this wasn't at a church it was in a church during a religious ceremony, profanity laced mask wearing etc.

I disagree with the notion that a group could do that in Dublin today and avoid prison time, or, that the media and likes of madonna would be as sympathetic / supportive of the action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lumbo wrote: »
    They gave boy racers a run for their money with "Horse Outside".

And wedding planners too, I beleive.
    jaykay74 wrote: »
    Just seen that Garry Kasparov has been arrested outside the trial. If you don't believe me then check mate

Bad move. :D

Intestingly, they were convicted of "hooliganism" - which implies that even if they had protested somewhere else, the result woulf have been the same.

It might have been disrespectful of the worshippers - they might have decided to protest during a religious moment - however the very facts is that they DID NOT say anything that espoused they were inciting hatred towards religion.

They were actually protesting against Putin inserting himself and abusing religious orders to get his way.
    They were by effect, standing up for religion - not espousing hatred of it.

Go actually learn the facts and/or listen to their very words.

Anyone that says they were guilty of religious hatred is bloody uneducated idiot!
    A person devoid of the actual facts or one that refuses to actually look at them.

It doesn't matter what they said its were they said it. Spin it what way you will but it was still disrespectful to say the least.

Nah. if it happened in Dublin no one would give two ****es. That's the difference between a Putin led regime and us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

frag420 wrote: »
    I thought title said Pussy Rot....................Disapointed!
    Anti-fungal cream helps with that!

Originally Posted by jaykay74 View Post
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Bad move. :D

Zapp: If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards, checkmate!

Nah. if it happened in Dublin no one would give two ****es. That's the difference between a Putin led regime and us.

Yeah you are more then likely right my folks are religious and I imagine they would be slightly amused if something like that happened at their church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭brimal

Another more worrying piece of news to come out of Russia today has been the top court in Moscow has upheld a ban on gay pride marches for the next 100 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19293465

It doesn't matter what they said its were they said it. Spin it what way you will but it was still disrespectful to say the least.

Learn the law - being disrespectful of one thing does not make one legally guilty of another.

So by your mentality and though process, if I protest at a race meeting about our present government or any person in it - I'm inciting hatred against horse racing too?

Stupidity!

I am always wary of people substituting the word 'Government' with 'Regime', Regime is an absolutely loaded term. The notion that the Russian judiciary and various churches are under the control of Putin is unproven (to put it mildly).

Not in my opinion.

brimal wrote: »
    Another more worrying piece of news to come out of Russia today has been the top court in Moscow has upheld a ban on gay pride marches for the next 100 years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19293465

LOL
    100 years,
    They should have their march with the mayday parades. Make red square pink.
    Learn the law - being disrespectful of one thing does not make one legally guilty of another.

Would a protest group who did something similar here in a synagogue a church or a mosque get public support here, I don't think so.

• Advertisement

...The notion that the Russian judiciary and various churches are under the control of Putin is unproven (to put it mildly).

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1622544,00.html
    the reunification has political resonance as well because the Russian Orthodox Church is increasingly a symbol and projection of Russian nationalism.

Indeed, rather than first give thanks to God in his speech, the head of the ROC, Patriarch Alexy, paid homage to Russian President Vladimir Putin. The Patriarch emphasized that the reunification could happen only because the ROCOR saw in Putin "a genuine Russian Orthodox human being." Putin responded in his speech that the reunification was a major event for the entire nation.

Nationalism, based on the Orthodox faith, has been emerging as the Putin regime's major ideological resource. Thursday's rite sealed the four-year long effort by Putin, beginning in September 2003, to have the Moscow Patriarchate take over its rival American-based cousin and launch a new globalized Church as his state's main ideological arm and a vital foreign policy instrument.

Putins efforts to insert himself, his government and use the Orthodox org and faith, has been seen by some for some time now. Its well reported upon. A simple google search will show this.

Pussy riots was protesting against Putin and he using the faith for political ends.
    There was NO "religious hatred" as such, spoken of and NO evidence was put forth in their legal case that the girls had done so.

Their protest about Putin being involved in religion, happened to just be on religious property - even if it was disrespectful of some worshippers.
    Some whom by the way, might have felt the same way as the girls, disgusted at Putins involvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭brimal

LOL
    100 years,
    They should have their march with the mayday parades. Make red square pink.

I'm trying to understand what you find funny about this news? I can only assume you are laughing at the ridiculousness of the Moscow court's decision.

Putins efforts to insert himself and use the Orthodox org and faith, has been seen by some for some time now. . . .

Aside from the difference between 'reported' and 'proven' . . . Not exactly the same thing as what was said however is it ?
    Originally Posted by Morlar View Post
    ...The notion that the Russian judiciary and various churches are under the control of Putin is unproven (to put it mildly).

Would a protest group who did something similar here in a synagogue a church or a mosque get public support here, I don't think so.

No, there would be an amount of ire I expect - however in the eyes of the law - just because they did it on a particular piece of land, does NOT make them automatically guilty of hating or inciting hatred of something that also is on that land!

Aside from the difference between 'reported' and 'proven' . . . Not exactly the same thing as what was said however is it ?

However the many reports which can be found, speak for themselves as to Putins use and abuse of Russia faith for his own ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

jaykay74 wrote: »

looks like the pawns have captured the white knight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

That Nadezhda Tolokonnikova is so hot.

Zapp: If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards, checkmate!

"Qif, in the game of chess, you must never let your opponent see your pieces."

brimal wrote: »
    I'm trying to understand what you find funny about this news? I can only assume you are laughing at the ridiculousness of the Moscow court's decision.

Exactly
    I am laughing at the whole notion of a 100 year ban. Every other nation is progressing on the issues of gay people and they say nah sorry not for another 100 years.

I know what I am about to post is a very broad generalisation and very politically incorrect. I generally do not like Russians especially the males, its a serious macho culture and they are very quick to violence. I just give them a very wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

CucaFace wrote: »
    That Nadezhda Tolokonnikova is so hot.
    Been watching this on BBC News and if I had a hat I'd take it off to those presenters who kept a straight face whilst having to continually repeat the name of this girl band.

• Advertisement
Advertisement