Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pussy Riot

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Russia is getting scarier and scarier.
    They still have plenty of gass, oil, uranium, titanium, gold ets. And the West is playing big game to get their hand on this. That is first and most important conclusion. If we understand this, then we can debate who's guilty and for what.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭The Sky

What they done is clearly shocking and offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

The Sky wrote: »

I agree but 2 years in a Russian jail, I gave the example of when the Sex Pistols hired a boat on the thames and sang their version of God Save the Queen during the main Jubilee celebrations. That was outrageous and very offensive, but I think they just got a night in the slammer and a fine. I can't remember the full details but they didn't go to prison and rightly so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

It might be rightly considered shocking and offensive but its not "Religious Hatred" as such.
    Again, they had not spoke or protested out against religion or a advocated that it might be even a load of bukum - they were protesting against the political interjection of Putin and co into the practise of ones religion, for their own means.
    ...But then one would actually have to look at the very real facts to see that!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭gothictwilight

This is only shocking or offensive if you are a Putin supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Biggins wrote: »
    they were protesting against the political interjection of Putin and co into the practise of ones religion, for their own means.

It's pretty obvious that it's all about politics. But to find deeper conclusion is much harder. Do you expect Russia to legalise such vandalism? Sentencing girl for "night in the slammer" will end up hundreds of such "riots" in the future and growing mayhem in Russia. There is chance that they get on the democratic way but what I afraid most is that they get destabilized and really dangerous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

zom wrote: »
    It's pretty obvious that it's all about politics. But to find deeper conclusion is much harder. Do you expect Russia to legalise such vandalism? Sentencing girl for "night in the slammer" will end up hundreds of such "riots" in the future and growing mayhem in Russia. There is chance that they get on the democratic way but what I afraid most is that they get destabilized and really dangerous.

I didnt see anything getting broken up. Just some dodgy dancing to dodgy music in front of a golden altar. What the issue?

zom wrote: »

One don't need to look for deeper conclusions as to why they did what they did.
    All a person has to do is look at their very words on the day or later statements made.

I'm sure Russia doesn't need to legalise such vandalism - I'm faily sure they have laws for vandalism already.
    What vandalism did they do anyway? What did they destroy/damage besides the peace and quiet within a building? :confused:

They might have deserved to be slapped with a fine - even a short stay in a cell for their antics - but in sending them down for two years (and lets be honest, they probably would not get sentenced to two hours in a cell here) in order to silence them possibly, is like using a cannonball to kill a fly on a wall.
    The Russian government is only exposing the farce that is supposed to be their 'reforms'.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

This is only shocking or offensive if you are a Putin supporter.

Despite all the media coverage of it being an 'anti-Putin song' they didn't even mention Putin while in the Cathedral, that was added on the video later. Orthodox Christianity, like Catholicism, puts a lot of emphasis on the holiness of place(it's not quite the same with Protestantism). Allowing people to practice their religion freely means respecting the integrity of their holy places. It's not difficult, a protest outside the church would have avoided all of this.

...a protest outside the church would have avoided all of this.

It might have - but in hindsight, its easy to say such things.
    On the day or before it, we can only assume (given the band might know the layout inside and out), they decided for the option of their protest to be done within, for better reasons known more to themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'd have given them twenty years for crimes against music. But then I'd have to try and figure out how long Jedward would get. And if there's that much time left before the universe implodes.;)

OK, I'm just wisecracking. In reality I wouldn't even lock up Jedward.:rolleyes:

The reality is that one of the nastiest dictators on the planet, the diminutive former KGB thug Vladimir Putin, a small man who loves to be seen engaging in macho pursuits like whitewater rafting and bareback horseriding, has now turned the might of his evil empire against three young women who demonstrated for a restoration of the democracy of which Russia has again been deprived. They will now be sent to one of Russia's notorious disease-ridden jails, where it can not at all be ruled out that they will be beaten, sexually molested and raped. I hope you realise that if you find that a pleasing prospect, you ought to have a good look at yourself in the mirror.:rolleyes:

They were perfectly right to make the protest in that cathedral, because the Russian Orthodox Church, and especially its utterly evil, racist, misogynist, homophobic and Islamophobic Patriarch Kirill, has long been working hand-in-glove with Putin and his fellow-goons to control the sheeple and keep democracy at bay. Putin and his fellow-thugs, once totally atheistic KGB operatives, have now become very good at thumping their craws, because it suits them.:)

Russia is indeed a strange country. Every century or so they cast off a foreign invader - the Mongol hordes, Napoleon, Hitler - but for most of the time in between they are shafted crossways by their own local despots - from Ivan the Terrible through Stalin to Putin. The Russian Orthodox Church has nearly always been on the side of those who hold secular power and will do their utmost to keep the sheeple mired in ignorance and superstition so that the metropolitans and higher clergy can enjoy their privileges.;)

I salute those three young women for their courage and hope they survive their incarceration and make it out to freedom. I also wish some of our own young people would be inspired by their courage.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Its been too long since my last pussy riot much too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I'd have given them twenty years for crimes against music. But then I'd have to try and figure out how long Jedward would get. And if there's that much time left before the universe implodes.;)

OK, I'm just wisecracking. In reality I wouldn't even lock up Jedward.:rolleyes:

The reality is that one of the nastiest dictators on the planet, the diminutive former KGB thug Vladimir Putin, a small man who loves to be seen engaging in macho pursuits like whitewater rafting and bareback horseriding, has now turned the might of his evil empire against three young women who demonstrated for a restoration of the democracy of which Russia has again been deprived. They will now be sent to one of Russia's notorious disease-ridden jails, where it can not at all be ruled out that they will be beaten, sexually molested and raped. I hope you realise that if you find that a pleasing prospect, you ought to have a good look at yourself in the mirror.:rolleyes:

They were perfectly right to make the protest in that cathedral, because the Russian Orthodox Church, and especially its utterly evil, racist, misogynist, homophobic and Islamophobic Patriarch Kirill, has long been working hand-in-glove with Putin and his fellow-goons to control the sheeple and keep democracy at bay. Putin and his fellow-thugs, once totally atheistic KGB operatives, have now become very good at thumping their craws, because it suits them.:)

Russia is indeed a strange country. Every century or so they cast off a foreign invader - the Mongol hordes, Napoleon, Hitler - but for most of the time in between they are shafted crossways by their own local despots - from Ivan the Terrible through Stalin to Putin. The Russian Orthodox Church has nearly always been on the side of those who hold secular power and will do their utmost to keep the sheeple mired in ignorance and superstition so that the metropolitans and higher clergy can enjoy their privileges.;)

I salute those three young women for their courage and hope they survive their incarceration and make it out to freedom. I also wish some of our own young people would be inspired by their courage.:):)

That is a great post and puts it all in perspective. Russia is indeed a strange country, not quite the occident and not quite the orient. I read that the Orthodox church and Russia and the catholic church and the west had good cordial relations till the Mongolians invaded. At first they called them Tartars because they thought they came from Islamic turkey, they asked the west for help. It never came.

Russia always had it hard assed Tzars even in the communist era the leaders were tzars with another name. As is Putin today. But things are changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Sheeple is the ultimate arsehole term, though. I absolutely detest it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Morlar wrote: »
    They were just found guilty. I wonder what would happen if they had tried this in Ireland at a mosque or synagogue or other non-christian place of worship.

This

I dislike those that qualify for the term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Biggins wrote: »
    I dislike those that qualify for the term.

Wow, that be deep...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Ditto. It doesn't matter how solid somebody's post is otherwise, the second I see that term my gut yells "douchey conspiracy nut!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

Pussy Riot desecrated the House of God and they deserve to be jailed for their sacrilegious behaviour. If they wish to protest, they should have protested somewhere else and not in a cathedral.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Clareboy wrote: »
    Pussy Riot desecrated the House of God and they deserve to be jailed for their sacrilegious behaviour. If they wish to protest, they should have protested somewhere else and not in a cathedral.

I'm sorry, but even if it was sacrilegious (and I question that it was - it was fundamentally a protest about a political stance taken by the church leadership), can you not see the heavy-handed cruelty in sending these women to a two year stint in Russia's TB riddled prison system? After several months on remand? I disagree with the method they chose to make their legitimate protest, but this sentence is obscene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

So if anyone decides that a building is the home of a being of questionable existence then others can be jailed for not behaving in a prescribed manner within that building and should be jailed???
    Wow:eek:.
    My home is the home of the fluffy invisible hippo of Ballymorae and opening your post within its walls is desecration and your facking nicked mate!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

any church that preaches repression and bigotry does not deserve respect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Pussy Riot desecrated the alleged House of my God and they deserve to be jailed for their sacrilegious behaviour. If they wish to protest, they should have protested somewhere else and not in a cathedral.

FYP;)

Your lack of comprehension of the full matter is depressing.

Advertisement