Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard-Wire or Wire-less to Connect DVR to Broadband Router?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Wonder might I pick your brains. I have a cctv System fitted , Which can connect to the net so that you can view remotely on phone and pcs etc.
    At the moment Its set up to the monitor but not connected to the net.
    Is there a wirefree way to do this without having to put in Cat 5 cabling going from the router to the DVR? Or might the feed from a wireless set up be Brutal? My CCTV DVR and screen are down stairs and My broadband connector comes in from my upstairs bedroom where the router is located. The signal in the house is good thou. Any advice appreciated :)
    If the proper job is a hard wire then ill go that route but would prefer wireless but dont want to degrade the signal or anything.
    The box is an Orion 4ch DVR
    Thanks Chaps :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

KoolKid wrote: »

Cheers for that But I think this is a powerline plug in thing. My powerlines allready have 3 wirless phone jacks for my 2 sky boxes and a UPC landline. Both the landline and 2 Sky boxes are working on plug in plugs that plug into electric power points :) I have a feeling there will be intereference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Cheers for that But I think this is a powerline plug in thing. My powerlines allready have 3 wirless phone jacks for my 2 sky boxes and a UPC landline. Both the landline and 2 Sky boxes are working on plug in plugs that plug into electric power points :) I have a feeling there will be intereference

Might be worth your while posting this query on one of the computer type forums, as it primarily relates to networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Hi Guys

Wonder might I pick your brains. I have a cctv System fitted , Which can connect to the net so that you can view remotely on phone and pcs etc.
    At the moment Its set up to the monitor but not connected to the net.
    Is there a wirefree way to do this without having to put in Cat 5 cabling going from the router to the DVR? Or might the feed from a wireless set up be Brutal? My CCTV DVR and screen are down stairs and My broadband connector comes in from my upstairs bedroom where the router is located. The signal in the house is good thou. Any advice appreciated :)
    If the proper job is a hard wire then ill go that route but would prefer wireless but dont want to degrade the signal or anything.
    The box is an Orion 4ch DVR
    Thanks Chaps :)

Have you any old wireless routers lying around from previous broadband contracts? Most of them have the ability to be set up as an access point on your wireless network allowing you to plug the Ethernet cable directly into them. It's not as good as hard wired or even powerline but if you have a strong signal it will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Im just going to put a cable between the router and the DVR it gets complicatedd otherwise thanks for help peeps :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement