Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F2P model - The new MMO black?

• 17-08-2012 1:37pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I read (yea I'm not keeping track properly) that SWTOR is going F2P model with people subscribing getting access to all content and the F2P having to pay a small fee for the content updates.

My current game (WoT) was F2P from start, GW2 and PS2 are both F2P as well from start and F2P is clearly the route most (all?) online games appear to go these days. Which brings us to this thread, the online games still need to make money (be it DLC, Expansion, Premium content, Skins or what not) to pay for services (which was previously covered under the subscription plan to some extent). This additional content also needs to be tempting enough that people buy it in enough quantities to pay for the rest of the players (some will never buy anything).

So what do you feel is acceptable to sell and what would you be willing to buy at what prices?

Personally I find things such as premium status (+experience and/or money making) is a perfect match as all it allows is that you level faster allowing you to keep up easier if you don't have much time to play. I view it as any other subscription so up to 15 EUR a month is what I expect from it. Skins is also another I see no harm in (golden AK for example).

Other once I've seen and are not happy about are consumables for PvP (healing/mana potions, gold shells etc.). I don't mind them that much for PvE but I really hate it for PvP. I can accept making PvP armor/weapons buyable (once you bought it you keep it) but never the top gear stuff and never consumbale PvP stuff.

As for how much a month; depends on the game but in general I find myself having a tolereance up to about 30 EUR (basically two MMO subscriptions, I used to have up to two active at times) a month to spend if the game is good. Once it goes beyond that it really has to be one off purchases...

So what are you happ to see in F2P games shops and how much are you willing to spend in general?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Anything cosmetic, xp gains, mounts, pets, bank slots + storage, character slots, server transfers, name changes, titles(:pac:) or anything to help overall convenience is fine.

Any sort of advantage in pvp is a big no no and any advantages that can be bought and used to make top tier pve easier is the same as it becomes mandatory which isn't right. Also paying for early access to content while not a game breaker is not fair on the majority of the player-base.

Personally I think spening €30 a month on a F2P game is absolutely crazy but each to their own. If I like a game I would be happy to help the devs and pick up something like extra bank slots or a character slot but I wouldn't be spending money on a regular basis if I have already paid an initial fee. Completely F2P games which have no initial purchase fee I would be happy to spend upto €50 on if there's something I feel is a worthy purchase like unlocking Champions in LoL etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Guild Wars 2 isn't free to play. It's buy to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Big Knox wrote: »
    Also paying for early access to content while not a game breaker is not fair on the majority of the player-base.

Personally i'm fine with this, the fact that people do have a problem with it i find odd. There will be games where content is paid only and that is considered acceptable such as expansions, but when the content is going to be available to everyone later on for free it suddenly becomes a problem.

I can see paying customers see it as a slight to them and devaluing what they paid for but those who don't pay for the early access hardly have a right to complain.

When a delay is involved when user pays in one way and not in another i see this as a problem; subscribers get the content day one but those who wish to get it individually get it much later. They are obvious reason to why subscribers are favoured and why subscribing should be encourage but it's likely to be an none issue as many historically none subscriptions games are adding this such a cod and battlefield.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Also paying for early access to content while not a game breaker is not fair on the majority of the player-base.

If it's something that is 'earned' by playing, I can see the merit to the WoT model. I have a life. I have a job, a family, I cannot afford to spend the same 8 hours a day in front of the computer that a student on his summer holidays can devote. However, as a result of having a job, I also have a little disposable income, which I am quite willing to part with in small amounts to allow me to redress some of the difference in situation between myself and said freebie chap.

NTM

Advertisement