Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underage drinking

Options
  • 17-08-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

DEAR MODS, I AM NOT ADVOCATING UNDERAGE DRINKING, SO AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE BREAK THE LAW.

Might be showing our age now, but where did you go for your sneaky underage tipples before you came of age? Not talking about bushes either.

My first illicit pint was had in The Horses Ass on Patricks Quay around the time I did my Junior Cert. This was 1994. Place was a complete joke. There was nver ever anyone over 18 in there aside from the staff and one aul fella who seemed stuck to the bar.

After that place eventually got raided for the last time we moved over to The Phoenix on Union Quay. Like the above, a joke. No IDs were asked ever, and it was full of 4th and 5th years.

From there we started going to The Crazy Horse Saloon (now Reardens). This was probably the best underage spot ever, as there was DJs and bands playing there, and the door policy was slightly more strict in that they accepted fake IDs, no matter how bad. The Maltings was similar enough to this as well. We all felt sophistomicated going there.

Mollys was another spot which was easy enough, but it depended on which bouncer was on.

Clubwise, I guess it was always either The Forum, Gorbys or Henrys (even if I continued going to Henrys for years after I turned 18).

Simpler times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh cleaning thread has been disposed off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Used to love the Phoenix when I were a youngster.

A lot of underage bands used to play upstairs so the place would be packed with 15/16/17 year olds drinking the bar dry. One night when the queues were especially bad I thought i'd be clever and head downstairs for a pint, only to be told they only serve the young fellas upstairs! Heady days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭ofcork

Baxters on lavitts quay which is larry tompkins now was a good spot as was georgia brownes(bailey).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the Maylor, and the Brog were another two we'd try when underage. I didn't even drink until I was 20, but I kept getting refused anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Wow OP - it's like you're me! All the same spots!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Square Deal became the best spot in Cork as well for a year. Galvins made a fortune. Though that probably constitutes bushing.

Advertisement