Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed dropped?

Options
  • 17-08-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi, I've been with Eircom for years and we've been on the NGB 8Mb broadband for over 2 years. It always been excellent and reliable and the speeds were very good.

However for the last 3 weeks our speed has dropped significantly for no apparent reason. YouTube videos are stuttering loading up when usually we would stream HD videos with no problem at all. It has also dropped on us completely a few times over the last few weeks.

We have tried the 6 steps outlined on the Eircom site but to no avail. Could someone from Eircom possibly have a look at this please? I can PM details, thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Digidol wrote: »
    Hi, I've been with Eircom for years and we've been on the NGB 8Mb broadband for over 2 years. It always been excellent and reliable and the speeds were very good.

However for the last 3 weeks our speed has dropped significantly for no apparent reason. YouTube videos are stuttering loading up when usually we would stream HD videos with no problem at all. It has also dropped on us completely a few times over the last few weeks.

We have tried the 6 steps outlined on the Eircom site but to no avail. Could someone from Eircom possibly have a look at this please? I can PM details, thanks :)

Hi Digidol,

Thank you for your post.

Can you PM your home phone number and I will look into your broadband query.

Best Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Hi Digidol,

Thank you for your post.

Best Regards,
    Ant

Pm'd :)

Hi Digidol,

Thank you for your post.

Best Regards,
    Ant

Pm'd :)

I've PM'd this message as well :)

Hi Ant,

I have tested the broadband with two laptops over an Ethernet LAN, and they were the only device connected to the modem at each time.

The problem is when I turn on the modem the speed is perfect, I usually get about 5.2Mb's. The speed seems to deteriorate after a few hours and can drop to 1Mb. However when I restart the modem it goes perfect again (i.e 5.2Mb)?

EDIT: Just to add, this is only something that has started happening the last month or two. Our internet has been rock solid for years up until to this.

I haven't heard back from anyone yet on this issue, the connection is still slowing down after a couple of hours, resetting the modem brings it back to full speed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

I haven't heard back from anyone yet on this issue, the connection is still slowing down after a couple of hours, resetting the modem brings it back to full speed though.

Hi Digidol,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I have been looking into your case and your PMs to Ant.

The speed to the main socket is showing:

Downstream
    Synced at: 6144kbps
    Provisioned: 160-6144kbps

However I ran a test on the telephone line and it is showing an issue. I spoke to support and the suggested that you call them on 1890 260 260 to run a few direct checks.

Can you let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply Mark!

I rang support and they can't see any obvious issues with the line. Their only guess is that it's a faulty modem so they're sending out a replacement.

Will report back when it arrives!

Thanks for the reply Mark!

I rang support and they can't see any obvious issues with the line. Their only guess is that it's a faulty modem so they're sending out a replacement.

Will report back when it arrives!

Thanks for getting back to me. Please let me know when you have received and set up the modem just to insure that resolves the issue.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,

We were suppose to receive our replacement modem on Monday and we still haven't received it or heard anything yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Hi Mark,

We were suppose to receive our replacement modem on Monday and we still haven't received it or heard anything yet?

Hi Digidol,

I can see the order was placed for the modem on 31/8/12. This was issued but it never flowed through to the postal file. Apologies for this but I have mailed the relevant section and asked them to push it as a priority. Have also PM'd you with the order number and the tracking number for an Post (not yet showing on their website but will be soon).

Regards

James

Hi Digidol,

I can see the order was placed for the modem on 31/8/12. This was issued but it never flowed through to the postal file. Apologies for this but I have mailed the relevant section and asked them to push it as a priority. Have also PM'd you with the order number and the tracking number for an Post (not yet showing on their website but will be soon).

Regards

James

Thanks James. We still haven't received the modem yet, and the tracking number you gave me isn't showing up anything on the An Post tracker.

Is it coming via An Post or courier? Just I assumed Eircom would want the faulty modem returned?

• Advertisement

Thanks James. We still haven't received the modem yet, and the tracking number you gave me isn't showing up anything on the An Post tracker.

Is it coming via An Post or courier? Just I assumed Eircom would want the faulty modem returned?

Hi Digidol,

Apologies, the modem was not issued correctly. I have confirmed that it has been escalated as a next day delivery By courier GLS. You should receive a call on the mobile before they reach your address.

* Would you be able to have the old modem / extension lead to hand to give to the courier.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Digidol,

Apologies, the modem was not issued correctly. I have confirmed that it has been escalated as a next day delivery By courier GLS. You should receive a call on the mobile before they reach your address.

* Would you be able to have the old modem / extension lead to hand to give to the courier.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark, oh I have had the box and everything ready to go for the last week! lol

Thanks again though!

Thanks Mark, oh I have had the box and everything ready to go for the last week! lol

Thanks again though!

No problem,

I am very sorry for the delay. I will check back with you tomorrow to insure it is on track.

Thanks, Mark

We received the modem today Mark, thanks again for escalating it. I've attached a speed test result below that I just did a few minutes ago with the new modem. That's the speed it has been for years and should be, so I will test again in a few hours and see if it drops (which it did with the old modem).

Thanks again.

screenshot01xd.jpg

We received the modem today Mark, thanks again for escalating it. I've attached a speed test result below that I just did a few minutes ago with the new modem. That's the speed it has been for years and should be, so I will test again in a few hours and see if it drops (which it did with the old modem).

Thanks again.

screenshot01xd.jpg

Hi Digidol,

Glad to hear you received the modem. We will monitor the connection from our end as well. Please let us know if you do get any further drops in speed.

Thanks, Mark

I just thought I'd give a little update for the benefit of anyone reading the thread or in a similar situation.

We received our replacement modem after we were told our previous one (received in March) was "buggy". It all worked fine for about a a day, then the connection started slowing down again and completely dropping altogether, which was a new feature with this particular modem.

I bought a TP-Link modem (as I knew I would just be going circles with Eircom trying to get a rare good modem from a terrible brand) and plugged it in 2 weeks ago and I haven't had one single problem since. The connection has been perfect, constant and stable.

I don't know why Eircom continue to use these cheap unreliable Zyxel modems that are not fit for their purpose...well I know exactly why they're used, because they're cheap. So to anyone having similar issues as myself, you're better off buying your own modem over the Zyxel ones, at least that way you don't have to be tied into a new 12 month contract either.

Once again I'd like to thank Mark and James for their help, this isn't an attack on them as I'm aware they have no say or control in these matters or the products that Eircom issue!

I just thought I'd give a little update for the benefit or anyone reading the thread or in a similar situation.

We received our replacement modem after we were told our previous one (received in March) was "buggy". It all worked fine for about a a day, then the connection started slowing down again and completely dropping altogether, which was a new feature with this particular modem.

I bought a TP-Link modem (as I knew I would just be going circles with Eircom trying to get a rare good modem from a terrible brand) and plugged it in 2 weeks ago and I haven't had one single problem since. The connection has been perfect, constant and stable.

I don't know why Eircom continue to use these cheap unreliable Zyxel modems that are not fit for their purpose...well I know exactly why they're used, because they're cheap. So to anyone having similar issues as myself, you're better off buying your own modem over the Zyxel ones, at least that way you don't have to be tied into a new 12 month contract either.

Once again I'd like to thank Mark and James for their help, this isn't an attack on them as I'm aware they have no say or control in these matters or the products that Eircom issue!

Hi Digidol,

Thanks for the post & updating us on the situation. I have passed on the feedback / post to broadband products.

Broadband support said if you ever need to connect the Zyxel, feel free to give them a call on 1890 260 260 so the can insure it connects at the correct speed for the profile.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

I just thought I'd give a little update for the benefit or anyone reading the thread or in a similar situation.

Replaced my old netopia with the TP-Link as well due to fluctuating download speeds and box dropping signal and requiring to be re-set every couple of days or so.
    Fingers crossed

Plascebo wrote: »
    Replaced my old netopia with the TP-Link as well due to fluctuating download speeds and box dropping signal and requiring to be re-set every couple of days or so.
    Fingers crossed

Let us know how you get on Plascebo, I would be very interested to hear if it was the modem that was giving you problems like mine.

Let us know how you get on Plascebo, I would be very interested to hear if it was the modem that was giving you problems like mine.

Will do.

So far the only issues I have are with the PS3 and on-line gaming (set new router in dmz mode but still getting kicked, problems joining teams). Ironically the netopia was grand for this since I carried out the "keeping it Carlow" youtube guide.

• Advertisement

Will do.

So far the only issues I have are with the PS3 and on-line gaming (set new router in dmz mode but still getting kicked, problems joining teams). Ironically the netopia was grand for this since I carried out the "keeping it Carlow" youtube guide.

I had the exact same issue on the PS3, I followed these steps and sorted it, it gives the PS3 a static IP address.

I had the exact same issue on the PS3, I followed these steps and sorted it, it gives the PS3 a static IP address.

Cheers Digidol, will give it a go tomorrow and hope for the best:D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭curehead

having same problem last few weeks as well
    if i buy one of those TP-Link modems do i just plug
    it in where the netopia is or was
    and am i still on eircom brodband just not using their model of modem
    also where can i get one of those tp-link thingys
    cheers
    will follow thread thanks

curehead wrote: »
    having same problem last few weeks as well
    if i buy one of those TP-Link modems do i just plug
    it in where the netopia is or was
    and am i still on eircom brodband just not using their model of modem
    also where can i get one of those tp-link thingys
    cheers
    will follow thread thanks

Yeh you just plug it in the same as your Netopia router. You get a CD to set it up (or you can do it through your browser), its pretty easy to do so.

The main bits of info you need during installation are;
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

Yes you are still using Eircom broadband, just swapping your modem out!
    You can buy them in Argos, Expert and Maplins to name a few but they are everywhere really!

Digidol, where did you purchase your new router?

Reason I ask is my one from Powercity died a death this morning, so don't know whether to get the other TP-Link model from Argos, or chance my arm with another one from Powercity?

Digidol, where did you purchase your new router?

Reason I ask is my one from Powercity died a death this morning, so don't know whether to get the other TP-Link model from Argos, or chance my arm with another one from Powercity?

I bought mine from Argos.

just been on argos there's a large selection any idea which one would suit for home use
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=TP-Link&authToken=

thanks

curehead wrote: »
    just been on argos there's a large selection any idea which one would suit for home use
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=TP-Link&authToken=

thanks

To replace an Eircom modem router this is the model you should replace with:

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9093575/Trail/searchtext%3ETP-LINK.htm

got the router thingy in argos today 50 odd quid works a charm
    great to have proper internet again thanks a million.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I also bought that router today and its working great .So thanks to all who have suggested and recommended it.
    A quick question for the eircom guys . Why does eircom not just admit that the zyxel router doesn't work well. It would be so much cheaper for eircom in the long run and would also stop a lot of negative feedback and bad opinions about eircom.I posted about the broadband problems before here and I also had 3 replacement routers from eircom.Add to that three visits from engineers it must be costing eircom a fortune to cover up the fact that the routers they give out are not up to the job.
    Just to mention as well , the three engineers that called out , the first one didn't no what was wrong , the second said straight out its a crap router and the third engineer told me I needed to rewire from the external eircom box to my main phne line and left me a roll of telephone cable.
    It really would be cheaper for them to give out routers that work instead of the junk zyxel.

Advertisement