Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points Problem

• 17-08-2012 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

LC didn't go exactly as planned but I had a backup. I applied for the Higher Certificate in Computing Applications and Support. Now Qualifax, CAO.ie and last year's Irish Times all listed the points cutoff at 200. But on the NCI website, they list the points as 270, which is closer to the median.

I rang NCI and all I could get what "Our points were 270" but I'm inclined to go with the CAO since I've applied through them but has anyone been in this situation? Seems weird they'd list their median on their site and not the cutoff point.

Thanks for any help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lchelp

Ah c'mon, anyone got an opinion on this? Thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

The sources could be quoting different years. As in 2010 could have been 2XX whilst last year was 2YY. Happens all the time, some articles/prospectus are printed before the final applicant is taken in for that year, so they quote the previous year's points.

I would go with what NCI are saying. The CAO just sorts students and passes you off to the institutions/colleges, they aren't responsible for the admission requirements of the colleges themselves.

bscm wrote: »
    The sources could be quoting different years. As in 2010 could have been 2XX whilst last year was 2YY. Happens all the time, some articles/prospectus are printed before the final applicant is taken in for that year, so they quote the previous year's points.

I would go with what NCI are saying. The CAO just sorts students and passes you off to the institutions/colleges, they aren't responsible for the admission requirements of the colleges themselves.

I was thinking that, but when I saw this document I was confused because I thought that anybody who goy above the cutoff point automatically was offered a place and the cutoff point in that document says 200. Kind of confused and NCI aren't listening unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

According to the CAO cut off points table and qualifax.ie, the course has been 200 points for the last 3 years. Last year the midpoint of the applicants was 265 points but this has no bearing on the offers.

Its a bit strange that they would have incorrect points on their website, but as far as I can tell, if you had got 200 points last year you would have been offered the course.

All of this isn't really relevant to you anyway, as the points will be calculated this year completely separate to last years. When the offers come out on Monday, you'll see from the points sheet and from your CAO application if you've been offered it.

According to the CAO cut off points table and qualifax.ie, the course has been 200 points for the last 3 years. Last year the midpoint of the applicants was 265 points but this has no bearing on the offers.

Its a bit strange that they would have incorrect points on their website, but as far as I can tell, if you had got 200 points last year you would have been offered the course.

All of this isn't really relevant to you anyway, as the points will be calculated this year completely separate to last years. When the offers come out on Monday, you'll see from the points sheet and from your CAO application if you've been offered it.

Yeah, I know this is last year's but just trying to gauge my possibility of getting into the course. If it was 200 last year I'll likely get it this year, if it's 270, I likely won't as I got 260 points. Just trying to figure out which source to go by but I'm inclined to think the CAO are accurate. Thanks for your help, much appreciated. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement