Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounts

Options
  • 17-08-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

I need a set of mounts and was wondering what the recommend type would be it for a 6x22x50 scope guys thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What type of rifle is it for?

Is weight a concern?

30mm or 1 inch scope tube?

Budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭ferrete

A .308, weight a concern it's for stalking, and not sure if it's 30mm or 1 inch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I would be looking to get the best I could.

Nightforce
    Burris XTR
    Warne

Are some that I used and liked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ferrete wrote: »
    ,............., and not sure if it's 30mm or 1 inch
    First thing is to find out. Then decide which suit best.

In the picture below i have marked two measurments. A & B.

picture.php?albumid=939&pictureid=13786

These are the most commonly used measurements used by ring manufacturers however they vary from brand to brand. Some will use A while others use B.

All you need to do is find a brand you like and then see which method they use to measure the ring height. Then choose a set based on their naming of that height.

What i mean is if you needed high rings, and Nightforce use the A measurement. Their high rings are 1.125". That's one set. However if you choose say Leupold and decided to go for the high rings they actually use measurement B then their high rings could be too high/low even thought they are called high. Now i'm sure ring manufacturers take these things into consideration, but its best to check before buying. Too high a set of rings is almost as bad as too low.

To find the height off the barrel you need is simple enough. The objective lens of your scope is 50mm but this does not include the housing of the scope so allow 6mm for this (3mm top, 3mm bottom). Total height/width is 56mm. Divide this by half, so now you have 28mm.

Now you need to measure the height of the rail/base from the top of your action to the top of the rail/base. For talks sake 8mm. Subtract this from the half value of the scope measurement. 28mm - 8mm = 20mm. This is now the total minimum height required for the scope to clear the action/barrel. Convert 20mm to inches is roughly 7/8" or .870 of an inch. If the nounts are .885 then it will clear the action.

The figures above are based on your rail height being 8mm. Measure the rail height and do the math yourself and you will get the minimum height clearance needed.

Three common heights are 1.125", 1" and .885". (High, medium, low)

Also keep in mind the contour of your barrel. The above method works if the barrel is bull in design. However for the lighter/hunting type rifle that reduce in diameter from the moment you pass the chamber a lower set of rings may work as the scope still clears the barrel at the point where the housing of the scope sits over the barrel.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ferrete wrote: »
    A .308, weight a concern it's for stalking, and not sure if it's 30mm or 1 inch
    Go with a one piece mount if available, two piece if you have to.

For hunting rifles, I like the weaver mounts and Zee rings.

For tactical and military rifles, I like a picatinny rail and XTR rings.

I will have to measure, however, I think the weaver rails sit lower than the picatinny.

• Advertisement
Advertisement