Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutbacks due to non payment of household charge

Options
  • 17-08-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭

Where will be the cutbacks be due to non payment of the household charge. Maybe if a few less roadworks were carried out our parks and libaries would be saved. (the redigging of the College Rd could be a start).

If the managers maybe took 4 weeks holidays instead of 6.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

femur61 wrote: »
    Where will be the cutbacks be due to non payment of the household charge. Maybe if a few less roadworks were carried out our parks and libaries would be saved. (the redigging of the College Rd could be a start).

As anyone who follows my posts here, local authorities would not be my no.1 organisations!
    Well I can safely say the cutbacks will not affect workers'(usually related to existing staff members) handsome pay and pensions so anyhting after that is probabaly fair game. I'd imagine the easiest target woould be to squeeze the private sector suppliers even more and then look at cutting back "non essential" services like libraries, park opening hours, that kind of thing.

Of course, imagine the savings that could be realised in efficiencies if all the local authorities in south Leinster were amalgamated into one. Instead of HR and quite planning depts in every single county. It is absolute madness. Could you imagine a private co operating this way? Wouldn't last 5 mins.
    Would be like Glanbia or Diageo having seperate payroll etc in each city/county they operate in.

Sorry for going o/t but I really feel we need major structural reform and not straight cutbacks ala public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

mfitzy wrote: »
    As anyone who follows my posts here, local authorities would not be my no.1 organisations!
    Well I can safely say the cutbacks will not affect workers'(usually related to existing staff members) handsome pay and pensions so anyhting after that is probabaly fair game. I'd imagine the easiest target woould be to squeeze the private sector suppliers even more and then look at cutting back "non essential" services like libraries, park opening hours, that kind of thing.

Of course, imagine the savings that could be realised in efficiencies if all the local authorities in south Leinster were amalgamated into one. Instead of HR and quite planning depts in every single county. It is absolute madness. Could you imagine a private co operating this way? Wouldn't last 5 mins.
    Would be like Glanbia or Diageo having seperate payroll etc in each city/county they operate in.

Sorry for going o/t but I really feel we need major structural reform and not straight cutbacks ala public service.
    Turn the lights off and close the country down, it's the only answer.

Don't touch the CPA though, don't cut county managers who earn more than most international heads of state, don't cut social welfare, don't stop the absolute waste of resources in the HSE, don't tax people who earn more than €100k any more, keep the status quo and don't rock the PS/CS boat.

Amateurish politicians running an amateurish system.

Beyond a joke, Ireland 2012.

Survey on Newstalk asking would people pay the household tax if streetlights were to be turned off-please a leave a comment and take part in todays survey.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/about/ma...the-house-tax/

Original post on Household Charge Mega Thread on After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

femur61 wrote: »

Or people could just pay the €100.

Crazy, I know.........

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Or people could just pay the €100.

Crazy, I know.........

and €1000 next year, and €1500 the year after to ensure there is lots to be wasted............................

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Glenalla wrote: »
    Amateurish politicians running an amateurish system..

I'm curious, always find these types of comments amusing......if who we have in power now and who we've had in power previously going back through the decades are all Amateurish politicians, who exactly do you think the "professional politicians" are?

Be interested to hear who you think should replace who's in power and how exactly they might be more suitable for the job,

In addition its amusing to watch people bitch and moan about services in Ireland being cut and how we don't have this, that or the other thing yet with all the time comparisons being made to many of our European friends...the exception often being that people forget to note that we pay alot less tax overall,

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

Wait til the first mugging or attack on a woman walking home with street lights off and then we'll see how far that street light idea goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O blah blah

The usual ; total waste in govterment & councils while they screw the last scheckels out of a paying customer base that are already working for two weeks out of every four to pay taxes.

If the woeful emotional "blackmail" stories are trundled out maybe people will be feel guilted Into paying... We're past that in this country.

I dont know abiut kilkenny but In Fingal county council they start work at 09;30: shut for a full hour 1-2, and are all GONE by 4.

Go into their offices ; you will have to meter pay on the street where 3 full time traffic wardens are there to " added tax you" if you are delayed; but staff have free underground parking purpose built for them and an " overflow" free carpark up the village which is also free for them;inside is a dereliction of urgency; a grand awl chat going in between desks & staff & a council that voted to pay 80,000 to go to a conference in Brazil because " they were uneducated"... ; etc etc.

In Leinster House in the last day of Dail out if 167 elected politicians there were SiX in the house. How many Irish people can not go into work and draw a salary & benefits & uncounted expenses & mileage leaving a net income of over 160k - not turn up for a days work & then go on two or three months " summer holiday".

Stop with the emotional bs ; we're past it. We' ve been taxed enough & are still being taxed. We're carrying the load for too many. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Newstalk.

Why don't you run a poll on should rapists have a minimum mandatory sentence of 20 years instead of faffing about with lampposts.

Or why rapists & convicted child sex offenders are being protected by the councils & given allotments despite their secluded isolated natures & prominity to women working alone & children whose parents trust that " countryside" or " allotments" is " safe; instead of being a council supported festering pot for convicted rapists & child molesters.

Lamp-posts me @****

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm curious, always find these types of comments amusing......if who we have in power now and who we've had in power previously going back through the decades are all Amateurish politicians, who exactly do you think the "professional politicians" are?

Be interested to hear who you think should replace who's in power and how exactly they might be more suitable for the job,

In addition its amusing to watch people bitch and moan about services in Ireland being cut and how we don't have this, that or the other thing yet with all the time comparisons being made to many of our European friends...the exception often being that people forget to note that we pay alot less tax overall,

Hi
    I didnt post the original, it was carried over from the Mega Household Charge thread on After Hours which can be found here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056592766&page=415

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I dont know abiut kilkenny but In Fingal county council they start work at 09;30: shut for a full hour 1-2, and are all GONE by 4.

Utter rubbish. You should get your facts straight before you start posting inaccuracies like this.

Advertisement