Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7.5 (mango) vs Android 4.0

Options
  • 17-08-2012 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭

Which of the above would you recommend, currently on Android 2.3 but might change in the future for a friend but they have asked me my opinion, and knowing nothing about either of them I said I would check here and look like I know what I am talking about when I go back to them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a windows phone and I think it's fantastic. It's a much nicer operating system to use in my opinion. With windows your guaranteed a minimum spec too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have a windows phone and I think it's fantastic. It's a much nicer operating system to use in my opinion. With windows your guaranteed a minimum spec too.

Unfortunately that 7.5 spec won't run Windows Phone 8. Absolutely love the lumia 800s and 7.5 is probably the most elegant mobile phone OS on the market, but unless you get a WP7.5 device for a very cheap price I couldn't recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I have the cheapest Win7 phone, a Lumia 610, and it's a great phone, though not without its flaws. If I were you i'd wait til the WP8 comes out in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Depends on the needs of the user. If they don't care about having the latest software, dual core etc etc then you'll find a nearly-new lumia 800 for a great price on adverts.ie. You'll get a good looking phone that works reliably but is still modern (no sluggishness) and will still be getting an upgrade to windows phone 7.8 in a few months. And Nokia provide brilliant support for their new and existing phones alike. An android phone for the same price would likely not get you the same value or quality. Go for a Nokia!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Unfortunately that 7.5 spec won't run Windows Phone 8.
    That's not that surprising really.

I don't know much about 8 to know if it's worth the effort. I'll hold onto my HTC Titan until then I suppose. It's getting a bit worse for wear though, I've dropped it a few times now, the case is battered and dented and the screen is cracked. Still works perfectly though.

The only weird thing it does is every so often but very rarely it will just restart itself out of the blue. Another problem is sometimes the internet doesn't work to well and if I restart the phone it works fine for a while but that could be a provider issue as much as the phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

HTC Titan is kind of hi-end phone and should go nice and fast even with android installed. All HTC's generally are very decent phones (have 2 old Windows Mobile). But Windows Phone is extremely close system - hard to customize or crack if someone like to do that stuff. Microsoft politics about next versions of system being not compatible with older devices if not nice too. If you have WM7.5 and there is WM8 coming you should not expect developers to develop any new software for older version. And what about next 12-18 moths? Will there be next WM9? And again all older devices get abandoned?

PS - I am LG Optimus 7 (WM7.5 user)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

zom wrote: »
    If you have WM7.5 and there is WM8 coming you should not expect developers to develop any new software for older version.

Windows Phone 7.5 will be upgraded to 7.8 but not to 8. At least all Windows Phones will get an upgrade, not all Android phones get the next OS update.

Explain why a developer would decided not to "compile" their program to work for Windows 7.8. You do realise that it's a compiler optionin the WP sdk.

Also why would this developer chose to ignore 15 million+ potential WM7.8customers to write something for 0 WM8 customers if they can just select to compile it to work for both.

In some cases the developer won't have much choice if the older WP7.8 phones do not support the hardware on the newer WP8, for example NFC.

If it where me I'd chose the WP. I used to spend so much time messing about loading/flashing custom roms and modding that I'm glad I don't have to with the WP, its just works so well.

If you or your friend are into the whole modding and customising you would be better off with an Android but a time will come where you just want something that works well out of the box.

For the moment I would wait until the 5th of September to see the new WP8 coming out from Nokia. They may even have a Nokia WP8 with the Pureview camera :)

I will probably not convince you to android, but must say that I loved old Windows Mobile it and I hate Windows Phone. Simple story - years ago I got one of important buttons of my HTC Himalaya broken, so I mapped another one with function from broken button. It was as easy to do as in the Windows XP. Just few settings changed. YOU NEVER COULD DO THAT IN WINDOWS PHONE, ANYWAY. And this is just one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

HTC Titan is kind of hi-end phone and should go nice and fast even with android installed. All HTC's generally are very decent phones (have 2 old Windows Mobile). But Windows Phone is extremely close system - hard to customize or crack if someone like to do that stuff. Microsoft politics about next versions of system being not compatible with older devices if not nice too. If you have WM7.5 and there is WM8 coming you should not expect developers to develop any new software for older version. And what about next 12-18 moths? Will there be next WM9? And again all older devices get abandoned?

PS - I am LG Optimus 7 (WM7.5 user)
    I will probably not convince you to android, but must say that I loved old Windows Mobile it and I hate Windows Phone. Simple story - years ago I got one of important buttons of my HTC Himalaya broken, so I mapped another one with function from broken button. It was as easy to do as in the Windows XP. Just few settings changed. YOU NEVER COULD DO THAT IN WINDOWS PHONE, ANYWAY. And this is just one example.

The Optimus has been out for 2 years now, and has gotten tonnes of updates. For a phone I bought unlocked for 160 quid it's unreal! Every device will have a limited life, the fact that we're still getting updates is great.

Windows Phone is so good because it is relatively locked down. If you want something open then get an old N900!

You didn't answer my questions? You just gave an example of how you fixed a broken button by breaking another button? :confused:

• Advertisement

Well - maybe you all are right and I shouldn't worry for 2 year old telephone? I just get stuck with Win XP on my PC and HTC Universal in my hand, and I don't feel any more comfortable with newer stuff. Maybe I'm too old?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭petiha

Definately wait until the Windows Phone 8 comes out, because as of now, the current Windows Phones (those that have 7.5 Mango) will be unlikely to get the Windows 8 update... so I guess there is no point in buying a phone that wont get such an important update... :/

But to anwser your question, for everyday use I would pick Windows Phone over Android anytime, but as for modding and stuff, I'd choose Android. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm going to go against the majority here and say WTF?? :p

I have a Win Phone running 7.5 and an Android running ICS 4.04. In every way the Android is superior.

Off the top of my head..

- Can't change the awful keyboard on Win Phone.. no problem on Android

- Can't add a number from the call list to/as a Contact

- In fact you can't really do anything beyond what you're given

- Zune is rubbish. Why can't I get an OTA update on the phone without having to connect it to a laptop/PC first?

- Apps: admittedly I am not into apps generally really save for useful things, but the Windows version seem to be predominately fee-based for anything of value vs a vast array of free options on the Android (yes I know there's a lot of crap too, but there's gold as well)

- Planned obsolescence: Win Phone 8 won't run on any current hardware - even brand new stuff! That's ridiculous to be honest. At least on Android I'll get the updates at some stage, or if I can't wait there's a huge modding community for the major handsets

Add to that the ability to change, tweak or outright replace virtually every aspect of Android to your own personal requirements, and a huge variety of handsets to suit all tastes and budgets (vs a handful of options that are almost like an afterthought on most networks - and the Lumia 800 has to be one of the most over-hyped phones of recent years.. we have 10 of them here in the office and have already sent back 4 for various problems)

In short then - if you're happy to "take what you're given" then get the Win Phone or an iPhone, but if you prefer a bit more control over something you've maybe spent a few hundred quid on, it has to be Android every time

Kaiser wrote:
    - Can't change the awful keyboard on Win Phone.. no problem on Android

The Keyboard is excellent, for anyone in doubt just google "Windows Phone Keyboard review" You won't find any reviews saying its awful thats just Kaiser's opinion. I'm a bit puzzled as to why Android needs hundreds of keyboards, is the default one really that bad???

Just google Malware and any kind of phone hacking for android and you'll find a ton of stuff that will make you think twice about how great an open platform Android is.

Here's the latest one from 2 days ago, I'm sure there's newer ones over the last couple of days to...
    http://www.webpronews.com/new-android-malware-steals-your-money-via-sms-2012-08

[QUOTE=Kaiser - Can't add a number from the call list to/as a Contact
    [/QUOTE]

Of course you can :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AntiVirus wrote: »
    The Keyboard is excellent, for anyone in doubt just google "Windows Phone Keyboard review" You won't find any reviews saying its awful thats just Kaiser's opinion. I'm a bit puzzled as to why Android needs hundreds of keyboards, is the default one really that bad???
    True it is my opinion, and I think it's terrible and cumbersome with having to flick through 2/3 screens to get symbols like "\" for example - no long-press options there!

The default Android keyboard isn't bad no, but I prefer Swiftkey better is all. My point is that I can choose an alternative if I want and since when is choice a bad thing!
    Just google Malware and any kind of phone hacking for android and you'll find a ton of stuff that will make you think twice about how great an open platform Android is.
    Ah that's just scaremongering - the same argument has been made against Windows desktop for years, but if you get a good AV/Anti-malware app (I recommend Lookout myself) and don't just install any app without checking permissions or reviews you'll be fine. Obviously if you choose to install pirated games/apps you're on your own.

You could make the same argument that Linux has no viruses..that's because, like Win Phone, not enough people use it to make it worthwhile for the script kiddies to bother.
    Of course you can :D
    Really? How cause when I hold down on the number or hit the options from the call list all I get is the option to delete it.

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    How cause when I hold down on the number or hit the options from the call list all I get is the option to delete it.

Just try tapping the number ;-)

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    - In fact you can't really do anything beyond what you're given

Unfortunately most people just don't care. And it's not an ignorance, it's agreement to limit their ability and choice. People are more and more dependent to trends AND THEY LIKE THIS. Everyone wants to be different ;-)
    http://www.evilmilk.com/pictures/Think_Differently.jpg

Advertisement