Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

Derek Carr looked really good in Hawaii last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I know they are our rivals in the Division, but I personally feel no antipathy for the Broncos. And the same goes for the Chargers. I'm not sure why!!! I suppose I dont know many fans of either team, although I dislike the Chiefs and I don't know any Chiefs fans either!! Tis a fool that looks for logic in the mind of a football fan. Of the other teams, I really dislike the Steelers and the Patriots. Immaculate Reception and Tuck rule, I guess. Anyways please excuse the ramblings of a bemused and middle aged Raiders fan.

I'm a Chargers fan and dislike the Broncos bigtime. If I'd grown up in SoCal I'd hate the Raiders too but from afar, and because the Raiders were crap for so long it was easy to not be too bothered by them.

heyjude wrote: »
    Next time the league decides to have a relocation meeting, they needn't bother, just let the guy with the biggest wallet do what he wants, as thats what happened anyway. There was supposed to be a rule that a team couldn't move unless their host city refused to upgrade their existing stadium/ build a new stadium or words to that effect, but St Louis did give that commitment and the owners ignored the rule and let them move anyway. You can bet that if the city of Oakland had offered a new stadium and the Raiders had still tried to move, they have been told that under league rules this wasn't allowed !

The committee that the league set up to look into the two proposals for LA relocation, recommended the Carson project involving the Raiders and Chargers and the owners rejected the recommendation of their own committee and green lighted the Inglewood project instead. So was the committee supposed to favour Inglewood and if not, what was the point of having a committee if the owners intended to reject its recommendations ?

The $100m offer to the Raiders is on face value worthless, I think Mark Davis said before that they (owners + investors) could put up $400-500m, the city of Oakland made no offer(but offered infrastructure works for the new stadium worth perhaps $90m) and while Davis made it clear they didn't need a $1bn stadium like the 49ers built, even a more functional football stadium would still leave the Raiders several hundred million short. Not to mention that I read somewhere that the 49ers were loaned $200m by the league for their new stadium, yet the Raiders are offered $100m....

So now the Raiders can't afford to build in Oakland, are prevented from going ahead with the move to LA and likely would be prevented from going to San Antonio either. Meanwhile the NFL has decided that if the Chargers can't get a new stadium deal within a year, they can move to LA and stadium share with the Rams. The Raiders only get to move if the Chargers get a new stadium and if the Rams agree to stadium share at Inglewood(and even then the Raiders would be tenants not owners of the facility).

If Al Davis is somewhere looking down, he's probably shaking his head and muttering "I told you so". Obviously the efforts by Mark Davis to adopt a more conciliatory tone towards the NFL in recent years, hasn't been reciprocated. Wait until the Jaguars owner decides he wants to move to LA.....then again the NFL will have several years to come up with reasons why their project is treated more favourably.

I'm hoping (and am more optmistic now) that the Chargers will get a deal done in SD i.e. new stadium in Mission Valley or (longshot) downtown. If this happens then Raiders have option to join the Rams in LA right? I would imagine Davis would jump at this no?

Chargers are playing in SD in 2016 as you've prob heard and have the option to join Rams if they can't get a deal done in SD.

Either way Raiders are left hanging for another year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭eire4

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I'm hoping (and am more optmistic now) that the Chargers will get a deal done in SD i.e. new stadium in Mission Valley or (longshot) downtown. If this happens then Raiders have option to join the Rams in LA right? I would imagine Davis would jump at this no?

Chargers are playing in SD in 2016 as you've prob heard and have the option to join Rams if they can't get a deal done in SD.

Either way Raiders are left hanging for another year at least.

Yes it looks likely the Raiders will at least sign another one year lease to stay in Oakland. But it does seem Davis is dead set on moving the team given his recent very public courting of Las Vegas plus there was San Antonio before that. Heck if the Chargers did decide to move to LA and share with the Rams the Raiders moving to San Diego would even be on the table I think.
    As for the Chargers they have one year left to say yes or no to joining the Rams in LA. If the Chargers do indeed decide to stay in San Diego then I would be shocked if the Raiders did not straight away take the option to move to LA. In short everything is about as clear as mud!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

We are starting to get ourselves sorted out on the pitch but off the pitch its a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Can't see Raider nation in San Diego, its far too posh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Vegas would be a great move for the Raiders. Growing city, big draw for away fans. Big, bold brash and slightly mental.

Agreed and I think it probably is a long shot in terms of it actually happening. If San Diego as a city really gets a plan together to build a new stadium I don't see the Chargers leaving at that point. If the city doesn't come up with a viable stadium plan the Chargers will leave for LA and I don't see the Raiders waiting around for a few years arguing with San Diego over a stadium when there are other options. In short while its not out of the realms of possibility I don't see the Raiders ending up in San Diego.

Vegas would be a great move for the Raiders. Growing city, big draw for away fans. Big, bold brash and slightly mental.

I could see this happening more so then a move to San Antonio. As you say its more of a fit culturally to the Riaders and while not California it is right next door which is probably more to Davis's liking then a move to southern Texas.

There are loads of Raiders fans living down there though and many travel from South LA. I could see it happening if Chargers go to LA.

Right now I reckon it is 70:30 that Chargers will stay in SD for good.

• Advertisement

There are loads of Raiders fans living down there though and many travel from South LA. I could see it happening if Chargers go to LA.

Right now I reckon it is 70:30 that Chargers will stay in SD for good.

Well if your right about the Chargers then it is all but a certainty that the Raiders will be in LA this time next year then.

I have to say that I am enjoying our start to Free Agency. We're getting decent players at positions of need early and last years champion and our rivals appear to want to devour themselves in Free Agency!

I have to say that I am enjoying our start to Free Agency. We're getting decent players at positions of need early and last years champion and our rivals appear to want to devour themselves in Free Agency!

Agreed. 3 good additions so far no doubt about it and in areas of clear need. Sean Smith at CB also has the added benefit of taking him away from Kansas City. Brian Irvin looks good at LB and Osemele on the OL is a nice addition too.

Yup, looking good, 3 more good players added to the team, really good to see us picking up Sean Smith, we needed a #1 CB.

They still have somewhere in the region of 28 million in Cap Space, so another signing or two is not a pipe dream. As well as strengthening our team, seeing our rivals getting weaker by the day is also extremely satisfying. The Broncos have gone from Manning to (Colin Kaepernick????) in a matter of days. The Defense has been blitzed, and it looks like CJ anderson is off to Miami. I really rate Elway but even he has his work cut out to make this roster competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Very impressive additions so far with Kelechi Osemele, who can play at either guard or tackle position, but who is expected primarily to fill the vacancy at either LT or RG, expected to significantly upgrade the run blocking on the o-line. Bruce Irvin, who can play DE or OLB is expected to upgrade the pass rush opposite Khalil Mack, while Sean Smith fills the vacancy at starting cornerback and apart from weakening the Chiefs, also allows TJ Carrie to possibly move to the slot, while also moving DJ Hayden and Neiko Thorpe further down the depth chart. Finally, they've also signed LB Daren Bates, who was the captain of the Rams special teams last season, indicating that they are looking to upgrade all three units.

When free agency commenced on Mar 9th, the teams' highest profile free agent was Donald Penn, who remains unsigned. The two main free agent losses so far have been reserve center Tony Bergstrom, who signed for the Texans on a 2 year $5.75m deal and Rod Streater, who was effectively the teams 4th choice wide receiver last year and who joined the Chiefs on a one year deal worth up to $4.8m. Bergstrom played okay when called into action last year, but is more suited to the zone blocking scheme that the Raiders intended running when he was drafted, rather than the power blocking scheme they use now, while the team was never going to pay up to $4.8m for Streater with him not featuring much. The team also cut last years' starting middle linebacker Curtis Lofton, but that was expected as he proved to be a liability against the pass and while cutting him does produce some dead money against the cap, they can recover this against the 2017 cap if he signs for another team.

If they can sign an experienced safety and maybe a linebacker(they've been linked to Jets lb Erin Henderson), then they look well set to select the best player available in the draft, rather than having to draft through need.

Following last years amusing AC/DC acronym to describe the Raiders passing attack with Amari Cooper and Derek Carr, and assuming that the Raiders manage to resign Aldon Smith, the Raider nation have come up with the acronym M-A-I-M to describe this years pass rush, as Mario(Edwards jnr), Aldon(Smith), (Bruce)Irvin and (Khalil)Mack, seek to punish opposing passers. :cool:

I would like to think that we could re-sign Aldon Smith when his ban expires. All in all, its looking like a positive situation. Its sorely needed after the shenanigans over a stadium. But then, Mark Davis doesnt have any input over free agents, thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Irvin aint an out and out pass rusher tho so dont expect that from him.... great in coverage.... great against the run.... only average pass rusher.... in saying that he is a great pickup for the Raiders - very versitile!

We are resigning Donald Penn by the looks of it, serious amount of talent now on the OL

Howya lads........... looks like you are doing some serious re-stocking this offseason. What with the shambles that is the QB spot in Denver surely the division is there for the taking now. You think you can win it in 2016?

• Advertisement

Howya lads........... looks like you are doing some serious re-stocking this offseason. What with the shambles that is the QB spot in Denver surely the division is there for the taking now. You think you can win it in 2016?

It is a long way to go still before the season obviously but as things stand right now I think the Raiders and the Chiefs look the strongest in the AFC West.

Don't know Leslie, and I've been around the block wayyyyy to long with this team to get too excited but if they play as they are on paper, I would hope that we'll be competing for the division this year. Personally speaking I think the Chiefs are in the better position, given that they have a team thats already done it, getting to postseason play, but I do like where we are going. i just wish that age hadnt caught up with Woodson

http://www.skysports.com/nfl/news/12118/10233018/oakland-raiders-agree-deal-with-safety-reggie-nelson Another need has been filled. Its been a long time since we've gone into a draft looking at the best players as opposed to filling areas of need. That is not to say that the roster is complete. But its nice not to be forced into a pick or a trade. Its been a great offseason, so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

solid signings - think nelson will be huge for you! Massive area of need addressed.... think if you go for a CB or DE in the draft you will be well in reach of playoffs

solid signings - think nelson will be huge for you! Massive area of need addressed.... think if you go for a CB or DE in the draft you will be well in reach of playoffs
    I cant think like that, too many false dawns, of hope extinguished so early each season for the last 14 years. Makes a fan sort of jittery!

I cant think like that, too many false dawns, of hope extinguished so early each season for the last 14 years. Makes a fan sort of jittery!

I hear where you coming from. But in fairness given how the Raiders played last season and the free agents signings so far to add to the good young core that has been drafted over the past few seasons gives plenty of reason to feel good about what can happen next season. Certainly for the first time in a very long time the team is without doubt heading in the right direction.

SilverandBlackpride.com have been keeping track of who the Raiders are expected to pick in Round One of the 2016 draft, according to 20 mock drafts that have appeared, up until April 12th.

The results are:
    Reggie Ragland Alabama ILB 4 times
    Darron Lee LB Ohio State 3 times
    Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida 3 times
    William Jackson Houston CB 2 times
    Vernon Butler Louisiana Tech DT 2 times
    Chris Jones Mississippi St. DT 1 time
    Sheldon Rankins Louisville DT 1 time
    Corey Coleman Baylor WR 1 time
    Shaq Lawson Clemson DE 1 time
    Eli Apple Ohio State CB 1 time
    Robert Nkemdiche Ole Miss DE/DT 1 time

So who of the players that are likely to be available at 14, would you like the Raiders to pick and who do you want them to avoid like the plague ?

I think that their experience with DJ Hayden would make me cautious about a cornerback and i'd prefer them to go instead for a pass rushing defensive tackle with Sheldon Rankins my top choice, possibly followed by Chris Jones. I'b be wary of Robert Nkemdiche due to his lack of production in college and his off-field issues. I absolutely do not want them to pick Reggie Ragland, as he is only a two down player and was replaced on passing downs in Alabama( and given the problems the team faced with Curtis Lofton last season, it seems that picking Ragland would just bring the same problem all over again), while Myles Jack has injury concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

SilverandBlackpride.com have been keeping track of who the Raiders are expected to pick in Round One of the 2016 draft, according to 20 mock drafts that have appeared, up until April 12th.

The results are:
    Reggie Ragland Alabama ILB 4 times
    Darron Lee LB Ohio State 3 times
    Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida 3 times
    William Jackson Houston CB 2 times
    Vernon Butler Louisiana Tech DT 2 times
    Chris Jones Mississippi St. DT 1 time
    Sheldon Rankins Louisville DT 1 time
    Corey Coleman Baylor WR 1 time
    Shaq Lawson Clemson DE 1 time
    Eli Apple Ohio State CB 1 time
    Robert Nkemdiche Ole Miss DE/DT 1 time

So who of the players that are likely to be available at 14, would you like the Raiders to pick and who do you want them to avoid like the plague ?

I think that their experience with DJ Hayden would make me cautious about a cornerback and i'd prefer them to go instead for a pass rushing defensive tackle with Sheldon Rankins my top choice, possibly followed by Chris Jones. I'b be wary of Robert Nkemdiche due to his lack of production in college and his off-field issues. I absolutely do not want them to pick Reggie Ragland, as he is only a two down player and was replaced on passing downs in Alabama( and given the problems the team faced with Curtis Lofton last season, it seems that picking Ragland would just bring the same problem all over again), while Myles Jack has injury concerns.

If Jack dropped to you guys you'd have to take him imo. He's a great talent. It would be a risk but the upside is 5-6 years of superstar play.

I think Hargreaves if he's there will be the pick tho. Secondary is a big need and he could end up the best corner in this draft. The Hayden pick shouldn't influence it.

Mike Mayock on NFL Network has the Raiders picking Myles Jack, though like all the mock drafts I suspect at this stage that this is pure speculation.

• Advertisement

Mike Mayock on NFL Network has the Raiders picking Myles Jack, though like all the mock drafts I suspect at this stage that this is pure speculation.

Well you were proved right as its was Karl Joseph at safety a good solid looking pick for the first round choice at 14.

Interesting pick in round 4 with Connor Cook at QB. McKenzie does have good history though from his Green Bay days at picking QB's even when having an entrenched starter and developing them into good backups who later became good trade bargaining chips.

Advertisement