Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The stats on Matt McGloin initially look pretty depressing, he is 1-5 as a starter, has as many interceptions as touchdowns(8-8) and hasn't started a regular season game in 3 years, but looking deeper, there are some signs for hope.

McGloin hasn't started in 3 years(2013) largely due to Derek Carr, his 1-5 record as a starter dates from the Dennis Allen era when Reggie McKenzie was busy deconstructing the roster as the team tried to escape for salary cap hell. The other QBs on the roster were Matt Flynn and Terrelle Pryor and their stats weren't good either. In 2013 the Raiders top wide receivers were Rod Streater, and Danarius Moore, along with Andre Holmes, Jacoby Ford and Brice Butler, as compared to todays' starters Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree and Seth Roberts, with Holmes and Holton completing the lineup. In 2013 Pryor attempted 61 more passes, but finished with fewer TDs, more ints and was sacked 25 more times than McGloin, in fact McGloin had a sack rate of just 2.8%(6 sacks in 211 atts).

The OL in 2013 had Khalif Barnes at LT, Lucas Nix at LG, with Stefan Wisniewski at C, Mike Brisiel at RG and Tony Pashos at RT, a line bereft of pro bowl talent with Wisniewski the best, compared to this year, when Penn, Osemele and Hudson made the pro bowl, Gabe Jackson was named a pro bowl alternate and Menelik Watson, a far more accomplished pass blocker than Austin Howard, has resumed at RT. Mychal Rivera played TE in 2013 as a rookie and remains with the team,but the 2013 starter was Jeron Mastrud who started 12 games and had just 6 rec for 88yds, whereas Clive Walford is a huge upgrade over Mastrud on the current roster.

Taking into account the huge improvement on the OL(with 3 pro bowlers), the presence of pro bowler Amari Cooper and former first round pick Michael Crabtree at wide receiver, the addition of Clive Walford at TE and a very effective rushing attack, McGloin could not have asked for a more favourable surrounding cast to play with and the contrast with his last start in 2013 also could not be greater. He's been handed the controls to much more talented, much more confident team and one that has got used to winning, now he just has to exploit that. The highlights videos from 2013 on YouTube also raised my hopes a little, but if McGloin is to succeed then his receivers have to cut out the drops. If McGloin can get the ball into the hands of Cooper, Crabtree, Roberts and Walford, I like our chances. It should also be noted that as the backup QB, McGloin has probably spent more time in practice with Andre Holmes and Johnny Holton, so as they may share more chemistry with McGloin, they might feature more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭golfball37

Looks like we're going to Houston next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

McGloin terrible unfortunately. Cook looked a lot better, 150 yards in his first start is not bad at all. Did he outpass Mcgloin in yardage?.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Game went as I expected on offence, McGloin was poor. However the rest of the AFC haven't got defenses like Denver. We should beat the Texans at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭eire4

mushykeogh wrote: »
    McGloin terrible unfortunately. Cook looked a lot better, 150 yards in his first start is not bad at all. Did he outpass Mcgloin in yardage?.

Yes he did easily. McGloin was only 6 of 11 for 21 yards! Personally as far as I am concerned that was McGloin's big chance to shine and he blew it. He has been in the system, he has good weapons both in the backfield and to throw too and thats all he could do. No thanks. He is out of contract anyway at the end of the year. Connor Cook has some promise so for me I would rather see him start next week in the playoffs whether McGloin is fit or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

eire4 wrote: »
    Yes he did easily. McGloin was only 6 of 11 for 21 yards! Personally as far as I am concerned that was McGloin's big chance to shine and he blew it. He has been in the system, he has good weapons both in the backfield and to throw too and thats all he could do. No thanks. He is out of contract anyway at the end of the year. Connor Cook has some promise so for me I would rather see him start next week in the playoffs whether McGloin is fit or not.
    Having watched the game, I would agree with you eire4, give Cook the chance. In relation to the last game, the rest of the team failed to show up. we really need the Running Game to step up (if you'll pardon the awful pun) and the Defence needs to ready itself for a longer than usual spell in the game. I'm still hopeful about our chances and will count this season as a huge success no matter what happens. we all remember the days of Jamarcus Russell, Norv Turner, Kerry Collins, lousy drafts, terrible coaches and some immensely humbling seasons. Its not about what might have been, its about being relevant again, and I'm loving it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Game went as I expected on offence, McGloin was poor. However the rest of the AFC haven't got defenses like Denver. We should beat the Texans at least.

Ya think?........ I know they are struggling at QB too but........

Havent Houston got one of the top ranked Defenses in the NFL?? ESPN rank Houston as the no1 defense!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

I would hope we could beat the Texans (we did so already this season) but you might be a tad optimistic! (having said that, I hope you're right!!!!)

With Cook now looking like he'll start, I have faith again, we will see one of the most amazing play-off runs and Super Bowl victories ever, and in years to come the episode of Americas Game that covers our season will become the most watched ever and win an Emmy.

#goraiders #justwinbaby #offmymeds

Anyways roll on Saturday!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Just popped in to say good luck on Saturday vs Texans, a shame that Carr (and to a lesser extent, McGloin) was injured ahead of the first playoff game in so long - a stroke of luck that it is against the Texans really. Time to lean on that much-hyped O-line.

Also, I noticed there was some nice Raider NFL-branded gear in TK Maxx Carrickmines yesterday, if anybody wanted to kit up for the playoffs (Raiders always had the nicest gear) Jackets for €35 and Hoodies for €25 (also some Denver Jerseys and Padres Jackets (?!)

poldebruin wrote: »
    Just popped in to say good luck on Saturday vs Texans, a shame that Carr (and to a lesser extent, McGloin) was injured ahead of the first playoff game in so long - a stroke of luck that it is against the Texans really. Time to lean on that much-hyped O-line.

Also, I noticed there was some nice Raider NFL-branded gear in TK Maxx Carrickmines yesterday, if anybody wanted to kit up for the playoffs (Raiders always had the nicest gear) Jackets for €35 and Hoodies for €25 (also some Denver Jerseys and Padres Jackets (?!)
    Hi Poldebruin, cheers for the tip off re Raiders gear in TKMaxx!

I'm glad that Connor Cook gets the start tomorrow, the experience will be useful to him in the future and there's no substitute for playing on the road, against a tough defence, in terms of what he will learn.

With Derek Carr playing at close to MVP form, the team had some chance of going deep into the playoffs, as they were pretty good at putting points on the board, a necessity, as the defence has struggled(early in the season apparently through difficulties in grasping the defensive scheme and more recently through poor execution). They have improved a bit against the run, but despite Mack and Irvin, overall they have been poor at pressuring opposing QBs, too loose in coverage and still look very vulnerable against opposing TEs.

Last week they played Watson at RT and benched Austin Howard, but LT Donald Penn is very doubtful, so if he can't play that means a reshuffle on the O-line, with either Watson switching to LT and Howard/Alexander at RT or Osemele moving to LT and most likely Feliciano starting at LG. This is far from ideal when facing Clowney and Co. Clowney gave them fits when they played in Mexico with Carr at QB, with Cook playing instead, any indecision and we could be looking for the next QB.

So the Texans start as deserved favourites, but they aren't the most prolific team scoring-wise, so it could be a relatively low scoring affair and if the Raiders could get pressure on Osweiler and force a turnover or two, while avoiding turning the ball over themselves, they might have a chance(especially if the crowd get on Osweiler's back). The defence needs to keep Houston under 20pts, while Cook must secure the ball in the pocket and not be afraid to use checkdowns/dumpoffs. It would be a good time for Richard to have his first return TD of the season and for the team penalty count to be 5 or less. Its a tough enough task to travel to Houston on a short week, with your third choice QB starting his first game facing the leagues' top defence, without conceeding double digit penalties too.

Whether the Raiders win or not, Connor Cook will set a new NFL record tomorrow, by becoming the first Quarterback in the Super Bowl era, to make his first NFL start in a playoff game.

We've parked the Carr, now lets get COOKing :)

Its now being reported that Mario Edwards Jr is questionable due to illness, the same illness that limited his number of snaps last week. He will probably still play, but won't play as long or be as effective as he can be(as seen last week). Keleche Osemele is still nursing a knee problem as well, while Donald Penn is out (the first game he has missed in his ten year NFL career). :(

The result last night was pretty inevitable, the loss of Carr, ultimately proving decisive, but finishing 12-4(tied for third best in the league) and making the playoffs for the first time in 14 years, made the season a big step forward.

Looking ahead GM Reggie McKenzie and Head Coach Jack DelRio will be looking hard at the less desirable categories where the team led the league.

* The team finished the regular season tied for the league lead for pass drops(and they had another 4 last night as Crabtree,Cooper,Roberts and Rivera all dropped catchable passes)

* The Raiders topped the charts for most penalties conceeded yet again, even winning against Tampa Bay, when conceeding an NFL record 23 penalties in a single game.

* The Raiders defence managed just 25 team sacks during the regular season(and none against the Texans last night), with Mack and Irvin accounting for 18 of those. The problem was the lack of pass rush in the middle, partly due to Mario Edwards Jr protracted time out injured and also due to what turned out to be a season long suspension for Aldon Smith, who would have added an extra outside threat.

The positives would include the Pro Bowl play by Derek Carr, who sets a single season NFL record of 5 4th quarter/OT game winning TDs.

* The OL provided superb protection for Carr, conceeding fewest sacks in the league and earning pro-bowl berths for Penn, Osemele and Hudson, this despite facing Vaughn Miller, Joey Bosa, Dee Ford and Jadeveon Clowney twice and also facing Vic Beesley, Lorenzo Alexander, Eric Walden, Brian Orakpo, Mario Addison and Derrick Morgan.

* The emergence of young stars such as running backs Richard and Washington.

* The fact that the core of the team is young and all the key pieces are already under contract for next season.

It has emerged though that Derek Carr takes all the snaps with the first team offence in training, relegating backup Matt McGloin to practice with the shadow team and 3rd choice QB Connor Cook getting no practice with the receivers at all. This meant that when Carr got injured, McGloin and especially Cook faced playing with receivers that they had little/no practice time with. Now having seen how ill prepared their backups were, they may need to ensure that Cook sees regular snaps in practice next season, so if Carr gets injured his backup is better prepared.

Finally, Commissioner Goodell is due to consider Aldon Smith's suspension in the spring, so hopefully they will get some positive news before the NFL draft in April. A fit healthy motivated Aldon Smith would upgrade the outside pass rush meaning they wouldn't have to address that area in the draft.

I can understand why Cook would get so little practice time with the Ones but McGloin hasn't got much of an excuse, he is just terrible and has no business being a backup QB for a playoff team. You guys need to find out in training camp if Cook is that guy else you need to find one. Having your starting franchise QB go down when he did was catastrophic.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    I can understand why Cook would get so little practice time with the Ones but McGloin hasn't got much of an excuse, he is just terrible and has not business being a backup QB for a playoff team. You guys need to find out in training camp if Cook is that guy else you need to find one. Having your starting franchise QB go down when he did was catastrophic.

Nothing to argue with there. The backup situation was a disaster. Cook has potential but clearly isn't ready yet never mind to be asked to do what he was yesterday. Maybe he will be by the start of next season. But one way or another the Raiders need to be better prepared backup wise next season.

Seemingly the Raiders are talking to Mike Tice, the OL Coach about extending his contract, which is up. Also talking to Latavius Murray. They have cap space of 51million http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/oakland-raiders/ but have to sort Derek Carr out. It will be an interesting offseason. Another rumour doing the rounds is Wade Phillips to Oakland. Might be nothing but Norton's days are surely numbered?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jaysus, that's harsh?! I'm by no means an expert on the Raiders, but they looked like one of the best offenses in the league this year. What more could he have done?

• Advertisement

I'm not surprised by this, some of the play calling at times wasn't the best, we always started our games exactly the same way this season, and Carr then pulled us out of the fire running the offence almost on his own it seemed. With the OL we have, our run game was poor.

Then the decisions to not have the backup QB's up to speed with the offence backfired big time.

I'm not surprised by this, some of the play calling at times wasn't the best, we always started our games exactly the same way this season, and Carr then pulled us out of the fire running the offence almost on his own it seemed. With the OL we have, our run game was poor.

Then the decisions to not have the backup QB's up to speed with the offence backfired big time.

I have to say you make a lot of very good points there especially with the run game. It will depend of course who the Raiders get to be the new OC. But if the right man can be brought in there is IMHO a lot of room for improvement in the Raiders offense which is quite the thought given how it fared in terms of putting points on the board this season.

It looks as though QB coach Todd Downing is to be promoted to be the new offensive coordinator, having been credited with Derek Carr's growth into a franchise quarterback. There had been rumours that Downing was being linked with offensive coordinator positions with other teams, so the Raiders had the choice of promoting him or losing him and given how closely he has worked with Carr, it seemingly made no sense to risk losing him.

If Downing's promotion is confirmed, then the spotlight will move to the defence which was very much the weak link. So far, JDR has backed Ken Norton Jr, but whether that means that they are not looking for a replacement is unclear, I heard someone mention former Jags head coach Gus Bradley as a possibility(but he now seems likely to go to Washington) and Wade Philips is probably finished in Denver, but would JDR want Philips or would Philips even be interested ? Would / could a highly experienced D-coordinator work under Jack Del Rio ?

Hopefully any coaching changes are sorted out quickly, to get the best personnel, but also to get the staff settled before the combine, the start of free agency and the NFL draft.

Delighted to hear that Mike Tice has got an extension to his contract. Continuity in coaching will serve the line well next season: http://nfltraderumors.co/raiders-ol-coach-mike-tice-reach-agreement-new-deal/

What do all you guys think about the impending move to Vegas?... I take it you will all continue to support them as the Las Vegas Raiders since it's not like there is an option in Oakland?

What do all you guys think about the impending move to Vegas?... I take it you will all continue to support them as the Las Vegas Raiders since it's not like there is an option in Oakland?
    Hi Leslie, Once a Raider, always a Raider. Yeah I'll continue to support the Silver and Black. Las Vegas doesnt exactly roll off the tongue but thats the fact of life in the NFL now. How do you feel about the Chargers going to Los Angeles, You're a Chargers fan, right?

I will still be behind the Raiders 100% if the move to Las Vegas does indeed go ahead as seems likely although nothing is for certain yet as the teams 32 owners have the final decision which will come in March I believe.

As a fan not based in Oakland, it is not really an issue. I started following them when they were in Los Angeles, and I was lucky enough to see them play in Oakland back in 2013.

Now I'll have to arrange a trip to Vegas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,497 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I'm not a Raiders fan but I always liked the team. I won't be able to continue that if this happens because I'm not a fan of Las Vegas and what it stands for. Imo it's a horrible place and all they want in that City is to suck all the money out of people through gambling. It's preying on a weakness that some people don't even realise they have until they get to Vegas and it's too late.

• Advertisement

Hi Leslie, Once a Raider, always a Raider. Yeah I'll continue to support the Silver and Black. Las Vegas doesnt exactly roll off the tongue but thats the fact of life in the NFL now. How do you feel about the Chargers going to Los Angeles, You're a Chargers fan, right?

Yep.. I was a San Diego Chargers fan... I'm giving myself a few mths to let the move sink in before making a final decision but right now I am 70:30 moving on from them.

Absolutely detest the ownership.

On a sidenote I see you've taken in poor ol John Pagano as assistant head coach/defense whatever that will entail... Sound man is Pags but too soft, doesn't hold anyone accountable, wants to be everybodys friend. Apparently he found out he was not being retained in SD via social media, team never even called him first.... Morons.

Advertisement